What's new

Micromatic Monday

Bringing the BMMOC tomorrow to complete my three-day GEM journey through time:
  1. Saturday - The New GEM Safety Razor (wedge blade lather catcher)
  2. Sunday - GEM Jr. Bar ("modern" SE blade lather catcher)
  3. Monday - GEM "Bumpless" Micromatic Open Comb (truly modern SE blade)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I almost missed putting out an MMAA (Micromatic Monday Approaches Announcement)....just lots of stuff going on; but luckily "almost missing" something isn't actually missing it, so here we are:

Micromatic Monday (aka) GEMonday is almost upon us!!!
I deliberately did a 2-pass no-touchup shave this morning so that I'd have something to give to the Gem tomorrow, and wouldn't you know it that the razor I used was a super-efficient work of art (Pax Lather Catcher). Oh well, I'm not sure which GEM (and or GEM-cousin [Ever-Ready, Star, Treet]) razor I'll be using, but rest assured there will be a GEMonday/MM shave. Perhaps my razor choice will appear to me in a dream tonight.

How about you? Will you be joining us? Do you know which razor it will be yet, or are you hoping for a suggestion from the Sandman? Sleep well, my friends -- and let's all get and share a great shave tomorrow!!!

I almost missed putting out an MMAA (Micromatic Monday Approaches Announcement)....just lots of stuff going on; but luckily "almost missing" something isn't actually missing it, so here we are:

Micromatic Monday (aka) GEMonday is almost upon us!!!
I deliberately did a 2-pass no-touchup shave this morning so that I'd have something to give to the Gem tomorrow, and wouldn't you know it that the razor I used was a super-efficient work of art (Pax Lather Catcher). Oh well, I'm not sure which GEM (and or GEM-cousin [Ever-Ready, Star, Treet]) razor I'll be using, but rest assured there will be a GEMonday/MM shave. Perhaps my razor choice will appear to me in a dream tonight.

How about you? Will you be joining us? Do you know which razor it will be yet, or are you hoping for a suggestion from the Sandman? Sleep well, my friends -- and let's all get and share a great shave tomorrow!!!

You still had 56 minutes left before you missed the pre-Monday announcement. That's plenty of time.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was going to use my Gem junior bar today but I have a ingrown hair? that is bothering me so I will pass today but will be around later in the week hopefully.
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

I was going to use my Gem junior bar today but I have a ingrown hair? that is bothering me so I will pass today but will be around later in the week hopefully.
Have some great shaves!
Sorry to hear about your need to skip the shave, but completely understand....I find letting those things heal better than aggravating them further with a shave.

BMMOCM (Bumpless Micromatic Open Comb Monday)
IMG_20200224_055819-01.jpeg

Love this razor! Perfect combination of blade feel, efficiency, functional design, and "old world charm". Not to mention BBS results every time.

Today finished of my three-day GEM Jaunt.
  3. Today - GEM "Bumpless" Micromatic Open Comb (truly modern SE blade)
Such fun! (And great shaves.)

BMMOCM (Bumpless Micromatic Open Comb Monday)
View attachment 1066608

Love this razor! Perfect combination of blade feel, efficiency, functional design, and "old world charm". Not to mention BBS results every time.

Today finished of my three-day GEM Jaunt.
  3. Today - GEM "Bumpless" Micromatic Open Comb (truly modern SE blade)
Such fun! (And great shaves.)

Nice shave setup and Sweet looking brush.

Flintstone65

It was a GEMonday for me. As mentioned, I really didn't have a lot to shave off after yesterday's shave, so I chose a GEM that I've been somewhat critical of -- well, as critical as I ever get :001_smile -- the GEM Push Button. My criticism has to do with the mildness of this particular model for me. I REALLY like the Feather Weight, but I've had a difficult time getting a close shave with the PB. That said, sometimes your face says "please take a walk on the mild side", and so I did. 3 full passes (which frankly was 2 more than I thought I'd need) and I was left with a very comfortable and fairly solid DFS.

Here's the equipment pic:
proxy.php

Flintstone65

Happy Micromatic Monday everyone. I had a great shave with a Gem MMBT with guiding eye and a Ever-Ready 1914 today. Both shared a 5th use Meijer SS blade. I went with a horse hair brush and Tabac for lather and a witch hazel Splash with a little lotion to finish things off.

A Micromatic Monday AND a GEMonday!!! Gorgeous brush....one of your creations?

I did it. Gear as announced. I’m convalescing from some nasty pulled muscles/bruised ribs on my left side and have been minimizing both shaving and showers, so this is a Micromatic Monday mid-century modern minor medical milestone.

Bumpless brass MMOC
Gem PTFE (2)
Vintage Old Spice puck - calming, copious warm lather
Ever-Ready boar with a fading band
Custom witch hazel blend (Stirling Menthol and Stirling Vetiver plus good old generic)
... and probably my biggest dose ever of VIBR
F5C7D552-346C-45FB-BCB5-C2ECF0E9522E.jpeg

So, what did I learn?
>The blade was sailing smoothly, so I will definitely go back to corking Gems before first use. My uncorked shave a week ago has been my only rough shave with a Gem PTFE since I settled on corking.
>Given that these 12 ounces of VIBR have yet to be even halfway depleted in the last 25 years, I better get moving if I expect to justify my recent spree with AS products. I am going to walk down to the library and if I don’t hear any whispers about spice cake or pumpkin pie I will continue to use the higher dosage.
>I wish I was nostalgic for the scent of Old Spice. It is a great performing soap, probably slicker than Williams.

Flintstone65

I did it. Gear as announced. I’m convalescing from some nasty pulled muscles/bruised ribs on my left side and have been minimizing both shaving and showers, so this is a Micromatic Monday mid-century modern minor medical milestone.
Earlier today I was bragging about my alliterative-skills.....but I shall bow to the master. :ouch1:

Hope you're feeling tip-top and ready for the slopes again soon.....those double-diamond, cornice-hopping, powder-bowls strewn with mega-moguls wait for no man! This from the guy whose favorite run on any mountain is the long and winding 4 O'Clock run :biggrin1:. Seriously, feel better my friend.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200224

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

Shave 20200224.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: n/a
Brush: Shavemac 26mm Synthetic FAN
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (5)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Skin Toner
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon w/Menthol
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG and XTG. Minor touch-up and buffing.

DFS++ (BBS except between my nose and my top lip). Zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Another outstanding shave! The Gem Featherweight provides consistent, comfortable and excellent results. :)

YMMV

Last edited:
Top Bottom