What's new

Micromatic Monday

Forgot the picture of the coop progress

20190604_132929.jpg
20190604_162754.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've made pens and bottle stoppers with cherry and cherry burl, but that was a few years ago so I don't remember how it turned, just that it looked really nice when finished. Especially the burl. What are some of your favorite woods to work with.
Haven't worked with very much -- partly because we only work with fallen trees or those that neighbors ask us to take down for them (got some cypress that way), and partly because like razors, there's more wood stockpiling than time to work on it. Here are the several types that I know I've got "in wax and in storage" at the moment: water oak, cherry, gum, pecan, pine, magnolia, tallow, cypress and sugarberry; but only worked with the water oak, cherry, pecan and gum so far. Pecan is hard to work with, but it is the prettiest in my opinion. Oak has been the easiest, but what we have is very spalted and a little on the "punky" side, so it's easy to remove wood, but you have to be careful given the instability of the wood-structure. Cherry produces really nice items, and it's easy to work with when it's wet, but it cracks like no tomorrow when it dries. Almost every item we've done has had some epoxy repair -- but frankly I like adding color to the epoxy and I think it adds character to the piece. How about you? I think you said Koa was a favorite....any others?

Haven't worked with very much -- partly because we only work with fallen trees or those that neighbors ask us to take down for them (got some cypress that way), and partly because like razors, there's more wood stockpiling than time to work on it. Here are the several types that I know I've got "in wax and in storage" at the moment: water oak, cherry, gum, pecan, pine, magnolia, tallow, cypress and sugarberry; but only worked with the water oak, cherry, pecan and gum so far. Pecan is hard to work with, but it is the prettiest in my opinion. Oak has been the easiest, but what we have is very spalted and a little on the "punky" side, so it's easy to remove wood, but you have to be careful given the instability of the wood-structure. Cherry produces really nice items, and it's easy to work with when it's wet, but it cracks like no tomorrow when it dries. Almost every item we've done has had some epoxy repair -- but frankly I like adding color to the epoxy and I think it adds character to the piece. How about you? I think you said Koa was a favorite....any others?

Koa, Olive, Cocobolo a d Ebony have been used most In my pens and brush handles.
I really like the way they carve.

Flintstone65

Koa, Olive, Cocobolo a d Ebony have been used most In my pens and brush handles.
I really like the way they carve.
Nice!!! I love all of those woods -- I've spent some time in Panama, and the artisans there use a lot of Cocobolo.

Flintstone65

Gum is rough!!! Looks nice, but it has a weird interlocking and spiral grain structure that makes it really hard to chop and/or saw. It is one tough wood....I had read that, but I went after a piece with a froe and then an axe, and then a saw: I was exhausted and the wood still wasn't in the shape I wanted :lol1:.

Gum is rough!!! Looks nice, but it has a weird interlocking and spiral grain structure that makes it really hard to chop and/or saw. It is one tough wood....I had read that, but I went after a piece with a froe and then an axe, and then a saw: I was exhausted and the wood still wasn't in the shape I wanted :lol1:.

It would probably be responsible to turn on a lathe.

Flintstone65

:a50:Micromatic Monday Approaches!!! :a50:

Depending on your time zone, calendar or shaving schedule -- some are pre-Monday (aka Sunday) shavers and some are post-Monday (aka Tuesday shavers) -- regardless, it is never too early to start thinking about joining us GEM fans for a shave!!!

Perhaps you (like me) are currently enthralled with a non-GEM razor at the moment (an injector, another SE, a DE, a straight)? Don't fret, there is a solution: bring a GEM into the shave and make it a double!!! I guarantee you'll double-your-pleasure and double-your fun! Your GEM gets you past the big bouncer at the entrance (actually, I'm just big-boned), and then you decide which razor does what.

So what razor(s) will it be??? Micromatics tend to be the fave (hence the name of the thread), and with VERY good reason, they are superb shavers!!! But over the many Mondays, we've expanded Micromatic-Monday to include GEMonday, so all GEMs are welcome (e.g., Lather Catchers, Damaskeenes, 1912s, G-Bars, Feather Weights, Push Buttons, and Contours); we have also been known to welcome GEM cousins (Ever-Ready's, Stars, pretty much any of the American Safety Razor brands).

Let's face it, nothing should hold you back from joining us. Give it some thought, and let's talk about it!!! Operators are standing by to help you make this momentous-Micromatic-Monday decision!!!

MMCP. P or NP? Mine’s NP. :punk:

We are still looking for anyone who wants to try out the pass around Micromatic Open Comb. PM me if that is you.

Flintstone65

So I've decided to bring out my 1904'ish GEM Lather Catcher with a newly made custom wooden handle -- this is in honor of a new GEM Lather Catcher owner (@CelticFox). And I think it will be joined by an Eversharp Fashion Razor (known as the Type H1 and sometimes referred to as the "Hussy"). I've been shaving with it this week and it is a great shaver.

We've heard from several of our dedicated and very much appreciated GEM shavers, but there's still plenty of room and time to register what you're thinking of using on Monday.

I had a very nice shave with my Baili Retro 191 yesterday. Today it looks to have been very efficient too, as I'm not sure if another shave will be in for tomorrow. But I'll join, most likely with my beloved MMBT, MMTuesday at latest.

Flintstone65

I had a very nice shave with my Baili Retro 191 yesterday. Today it looks to have been very efficient too, as I'm not sure if another shave will be in for tomorrow. But I'll join, most likely with my beloved MMBT, MMTuesday at latest.
An MMBTuesday absolutely works!!! I looked up the Baili Retro 191 -- cool looking razor and definitely a great value!!! I've been doing some DE shaves, and while I thought I had fully converted to just SE's, I have to say that I've really been enjoying my DE's.

Thanks @Flintstone65, I'll be using my 1904 lather catcher for the 2nd time. Going to try shimming the blade per your recommendation. Also considering shaving off my goatee for the summer, if I do I'll be using my Keen Kutter straight razor as well.

Flintstone65

Thanks @Flintstone65, I'll be using my 1904 lather catcher for the 2nd time. Going to try shimming the blade per your recommendation. Also considering shaving off my goatee for the summer, if I do I'll be using my Keen Kutter straight razor as well.
Outstanding, really glad you’ll be joining us!!!

An MMBTuesday absolutely works!!! I looked up the Baili Retro 191 -- cool looking razor and definitely a great value!!! I've been doing some DE shaves, and while I thought I had fully converted to just SE's, I have to say that I've really been enjoying my DE's.

The Baili is the same as the Razorock Teck. An homage to the Gillete Tech, but more efficient than the original. The handle is quite heavy (brass) and to my surprise turned out not to be slippy. The shape makes a nice grip to it. It is also a nice detail that the blade tabs are covered.
I still own a lot of DE's and I like to use some of the lesser used models from time to time so they have some use and don't just gather dust. I also like that some models get some re-evaluation and re-appreciation through this. If I want a quick and easy shave I might grab a vintage Tech for the job.
I like to take my time when shaving with SE's. It's a bit more like celebrating the whole process of the shave. But despite being more slow & careful I tend to think that SE shaves tend to be more close and efficient because of the rigidness of the SE blade. I'm happy to switch between both DE and SE, but what I'm really happy about is having added the extra quality to the shaving experience with going SE.

Top Bottom