What's new

Micromatic Monday

Today I had my second ever Gem shave - Best one yet - Used my new Bullet Tip!

Attachments

• IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
Well, hard to judge about the quality of the shave. I alternated four passes between the GEM, 1912, and a Maggard's DE slant head on a custom Single Ring Clone threaded post/48mm handle. :) The whelp under my ear had subsided and it was an uneventful shave. I did try out Nivea Sensitive Cooling Shave Gel with matching ASB. It was adequate and non-clogging for either razor.

Well, hard to judge about the quality of the shave. I alternated four passes between the GEM, 1912, and a Maggard's DE slant head on a custom Single Ring Clone threaded post/48mm handle. :) The whelp under my ear had subsided and it was an uneventful shave. I did try out Nivea Sensitive Cooling Shave Gel with matching ASB. It was adequate and non-clogging for either razor.
Thank you for joining in Micromatic Monday!!

I follow those GEM instructions by going horizontal instead or ATG.

I follow my instructions by not going, but I would imagine that is much easier than blocking your eyesight, maneuvering around your nose with your hand and handle, and not hitting the ridges right below the nose.

I follow those GEM instructions by going horizontal instead or ATG.

I think those instructions were meant for WTG shaving only. ATG under the nose is not a problem. There wouldn't have been a need to suggest the horizontal shaving under the nose if they knew people were shaving ATG. Horizontal under the nose is easy, WTG under the nose is difficult.

Naturally, everyone can shave how they choose!
:shaving:

Perfect and thanks for joining in. I feel I’m beginning to dial in the correct angle under the nose and chin.

I do have a little trouble Uber the nose, but I tried holding the razor so it’s facing me and very gently tilting down to make a WTG pass. The first time I did it I got some razor burn on the nose, but I set it just a little below, and it’s been working well.

I think those instructions were meant for WTG shaving only. ATG under the nose is not a problem. There wouldn't have been a need to suggest the horizontal shaving under the nose if they knew people were shaving ATG. Horizontal under the nose is easy, WTG under the nose is difficult.

Naturally, everyone can shave how they choose!
:shaving:
I would not be able to speculate of the intent of the instructions since there is no mention with or against the grain. I'm using the pictures which shows horizontal under the nose. And, everyone's beard is different so what's no problem for some might be a problem for others.

I do have a little trouble Uber the nose, but I tried holding the razor so it’s facing me and very gently tilting down to make a WTG pass. The first time I did it I got some razor burn on the nose, but I set it just a little below, and it’s been working well.

You probably already are doing this, but I kept plenty of lather under the nose and went very slow.

I would not be able to speculate of the intent of the instructions since there is no mention with or against the grain. I'm using the pictures which shows horizontal under the nose. And, everyone's beard is different so what's no problem for some might be a problem for others.

The pictures show WTG and horizontal but does not show ATG.

When I said ATG was no problem, I meant that the head of the razor doesn't get in the way under the nose ATG. Going horizontal eliminates the big razor head problem. ATG eliminates that problem also. The problem is the head of the razor being big, not anyone's beard type.

But, that's just my interpretation of the instruction.

The pictures show WTG and horizontal but does not show ATG.

When I said ATG was no problem, I meant that the head of the razor doesn't get in the way under the nose ATG. Going horizontal eliminates the big razor head problem. ATG eliminates that problem also. The problem is the head of the razor being big, not anyone's beard type.

But, that's just my interpretation of the instruction.
For me maintaining the GEM recommended angle for the razor is more of the problem under my nose when using ATG. The horizontal works fine. I just can’t get as close to the nostrils as say with a Schick E2.

Top Bottom