What's new

Micromatic Monday

Decided on another GEM for Tuesday.

Attachments

• 2EE99691-59B6-40B5-AEB3-8D9E8D8D3C49.jpeg
    2EE99691-59B6-40B5-AEB3-8D9E8D8D3C49.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Thank you for joining yesterday. I believe the blade I used yesterday was loosing it's sharpness also. I have a stainless and a carbon one left from the sample I bought from Try A Blade. What brand of blades are you using?
I'm using the GEM Blue Star and CVS brand which I believe are GEM Blue star rebranded, couldn't find anything on the packaging as far a manufacturer info.

Both are carbon blades by the way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well I say Micromatic Tuesdays are also a thing and pulled out my MMOC with a 2nd use blade.

Was nearly BBS although it was a no weeper no creeper and nearly no feedback from the alum block.

Well I say Micromatic Tuesdays are also a thing and pulled out my MMOC with a 2nd use blade.

Was nearly BBS although it was a no weeper no creeper and nearly no feedback from the alum block.

Perfect and thank you for posting. I enjoy hearing about any GEM experience. I may sell all the Gillettes!!!

My shave with the G Bar (Heavy Flat Bottom) is only now beginning to sprout stubble 9 hours later.

I may sell all the Gillettes!!!

I sold most of my DE razors, still have several more to sell. I don't use them anymore.

Can't get my wife to switch to SE, She uses two Lady Gillette razors, pink and blue. They're both the same, she likes both colors.

I sold most of my DE razors, still have several more to sell. I don't use them anymore.

Can't get my wife to switch to SE, She uses two Lady Gillette razors, pink and blue. They're both the same, she likes both colors.

Got my daughter a beautiful blue Lady Gillette that she prefers to display more than use since she shaves in the shower and doesn't want to mess it up.

I pulled the trigger on a Bullet Tip:
Bullet Tip Gem.jpg

Arrived too late for Micromatic Monday, but I shaved with it yesterday evening. Used a Pal carbon steel blade. Shave was mild, with no irritation. This razor will be high in the rotation come Single-Edge SEptember.

I pulled the trigger on a Bullet Tip:
View attachment 904797
Arrived too late for Micromatic Monday, but I shaved with it yesterday evening. Used a Pal carbon steel blade. Shave was mild, with no irritation. This razor will be high in the rotation come Single-Edge SEptember.
Now that looks spectacular. Congratulations and hope to meet you next Micromatic Monday.:a14:

Micromatic Monday approaches and I’m looking forward to using my new found lathering skills for the MMOC.

Who is in? Please use any GEM you please and post the experience here.

Thanks All :a50:

I'll be in. Hit the exact same spot, about the same amount of bleeding, the next day. Better than my start with DEs. The bleeding was worse after hitting the exact same spot the second day with them.

Slow learner? :)

I'll be in. Hit the exact same spot, about the same amount of bleeding, the next day. Better than my start with DEs. The bleeding was worse after hitting the exact same spot the second day with them.

Easy there, big guy. Don’t want you to bleed out. :117:

That was the last time I had cut(not nick) myself with a DE, hopefully SEs follow a similar pattern.
I took some skin off about a month ago and kept it covered in topical antibiotic ointment. Not a noticeable scar, but a scar none the less.

Hey BTW, thanks for keeping after me to use a shave soap @Clay S . I picked up another VDH today.

I took some skin off about a month ago and kept it covered in topical antibiotic ointment. Not a noticeable scar, but a scar none the less.

Hey BTW, thanks for keeping after me to use a shave soap @Clay S . I picked up another VDH today.

Your welcome. I figured it would be worth $4-5 for you to try at least. Some people just care for slick, others appreciate cushion. Which is where shave soaps come into play.

I had a BBS shave with the GEM today. It started gnawing at the same spot, so I stopped quickly, before it actually bit. The spot is raised like a whelp right now, so easy to hit.

Your welcome. I figured it would be worth $4-5 for you to try at least. Some people just care for slick, others appreciate cushion. Which is where shave soaps come into play.

I had a BBS shave with the GEM today. It started gnawing at the same spot, so I stopped quickly, before it actually bit. The spot is raised like a whelp right now, so easy to hit.

Perfect and so happy you achieved a successful outcome, Clay.

Thanks to this thread, I was ordering a fatip piccolo special edition from the UK vendor who has stock piles of Personna Gem PTFE blades on the cheap and I added another 100 pack of Gem blades to make my total up to 600 Gem blades. Resistance is useless !

I wonder how is the Personna Gem blade made in the USA cheaper for 100 at the UK vendor than at Ted Pella ?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Ease up, ,Clay S. Do not use any pressure at all. NONE! ZERO!
Lay the head flat against your face and only let the weight of the razor control the pressure. It will take a little restraint at first but when you see/feel the improvement and are able to discard you styptic pencil or alum block, and tourniquet, you will be glad you made the effort.
GEM blades are readily available on eBay. You should, with care, get at least 10 shaves from each stainless steel GEM gem. This will wind up costing less than the 2, 3, 4, shaves you might get from a DE.
Do not get carbon blades. They may give 1 good shave but each subsequent one will be worse than its predecessor.
Caution! Do not buy your blades from a hardware store. They will probably be similar blades that are used to scrape paint from window panes.

Cheers,
Mickey

Look up predecessor in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Ease up, ,Clay S. Do not use any pressure at all. NONE! ZERO!
Lay the head flat against your face and only let the weight of the razor control the pressure. It will take a little restraint at first but when you see/feel the improvement and are able to discard you styptic pencil or alum block, and tourniquet, you will be glad you made the effort.
GEM blades are readily available on eBay. You should, with care, get at least 10 shaves from each stainless steel GEM gem. This will wind up costing less than the 2, 3, 4, shaves you might get from a DE.
Do not get carbon blades. They may give 1 good shave but each subsequent one will be worse than its predecessor.
Caution! Do not buy your blades from a hardware store. They will probably be similar blades that are used to scrape paint from window panes.

Cheers,
Mickey

Look up predecessor in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Thanks. Coming from off the jaw bone onto the neck was a little too much height change for the flat head of the GEM, causing me to apply too much pressure. I've changed the direction of my shave in that area to compensate. The area is still a little inflamed, so I have to pay special attention to that area currently. Should be normal in a day or two. I've gone to a two pass plus touch-ups shave with the GEM, which results in a good shave (BBS last night). Going mostly XTG then ATG, but consider terrain changes that would give trouble.

I did use a utility blade when I first got the GEM. I knew it would be rough, so I sorta used a hover over the skin, short stroke method I used when dry shaving with a Mach 3 back in the day. Not sure if it actually cut anything, but it was talking to me about each and every hair it encountered. Just couldn't wait to go on a test drive :)

I probably will continue using the GEM, though once I'm comfortable with it, less than I use it now, but at least weekly. I have a SR coming, and will need quite a bit of time to get a handle on it, I'd imagine. :)

Thanks again for the advice!

Micromatic Monday was a huge success. I used the Atomic Rocket to generate the consistency of lather I prefer building it with my chin as I've noticed the professional barber employing. I worked in the lather for may two minutes or so.

First pass was straight forward completing right and left sides with the grain. Then I focused on the upper lip and chin area, very intentional and slow.

Lathered again for an ATG shave. Focused on the upper lip/below the nose with the horizontal approach GEM recommended.

Before I tended to rinse a lot, but this time I kept the blade lathered longer.

Lastly was my cleanup of known areas usually missed with straightforward WTG/ATG passes. The result was my most successful Micromatic Monday to date.

I hope everyone who chooses to participate today has the time I did to perform a bloodless and comfortable shave. Thank you for participating. Cheers!!:a14:

Micromatic bullet tip for me this morning.

5 days of stubble mowed down like nothing
proxy.php

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

Top Bottom