What's new

Micromatic Monday

Thanks. I am experimenting with 1930-1940's products to test different theories about why OC razors went out of Vogue.

My guess would be that when people started shaving themselves more often(everyday), less efficient razors were needed.

My guess would be that when people started shaving themselves more often(everyday), less efficient razors were needed.

That is similar to my thinking. More frequent, end users shaving themselves resulted in fewer beard wearers. Making the comb less needed, plus manufacturing changes made little dangling bits more of a problem/harder to automate.

The other side of thinking is that OCs clogged with the advent of shaving paste, thus my experiment. Since TTOs came out around the time OCs declined, they should handle clogging better if clogging was the reason for the decline.

"Thanks. I am experimenting with 1930-1940's products to test different theories about why OC razors went out of Vogue."

I don't believe they have gone out of vogue. They seem just as popular if not more so here. In terms of into the 1960's, probably because they damaged easier when dropped for the average consumer. Also as we move from the 1920's to the 60's, the general public was seeking increasingly milder shaves.

"Thanks. I am experimenting with 1930-1940's products to test different theories about why OC razors went out of Vogue."

I don't believe they have gone out of vogue. They seem just as popular if not more so here. In terms of into the 1960's, probably because they damaged easier when dropped for the average consumer. Also as we move from the 1920's to the 60's, the general public was seeking increasingly milder shaves.

Gillette's quit producing open combs in 1940 as far as I know. I would agree that they aren't out of vogue currently.

Great!! What's the plan with blades and passes?

It'll just be a two pass shave. My skills aren't good enough with it for more yet. It'll be the stainless, unless it goes out on me before then. (Have been doing first pass of shave with it for practice)

It'll just be a two pass shave. My skills aren't good enough with it for more yet. It'll be the stainless, unless it goes out on me before then. (Have been doing first pass of shave with it for practice)
My challenge with GEM's have been with the ATG under my nose until someone posted something from GEM pamphlet that said to go cross grained. I've been adopting this with all my razors and it works!!

I feel I have to be intentional to maintain the recommendation to keep the cap against my face.

My challenge with GEM's have been with the ATG under my nose until someone posted something from GEM pamphlet that said to go cross grained. I've been adopting this with all my razors and it works!!

I feel I have to be intentional to maintain the recommendation to keep the cap against my face.

With my circle beard, I have bigger problems if my nose is an issue :)

I have the biggest issues when the planes change toward each other, like neck becoming shoulder, or under jaw becoming neck. Occasionally, I'll try reducing the thickness of my Adam's apple :)

It's not going horribly, just not comfortable yet.

My single shave with an MMOC was a blood bath a contrast compared to super smooth and efficient shaves from the other Gem and Every Ready razors I own. The PTFE coated blade was on its day 5 or 6. Anyone else experience this and any tips on the MMOC ? Is around 7/8 shaves normal from a PTFE coated blade ?

I would like to jump in for a Monday MMOC shave !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

My single shave with an MMOC was a blood bath a contrast compared to super smooth and efficient shaves from the other Gem and Every Ready razors I own. The PTFE coated blade was on its day 5 or 6. Anyone else experience this and any tips on the MMOC ? Is around 7/8 shaves normal from a PTFE coated blade ?

Micromatic OC and it's rise to stardom...with the help of an old friend.

I don't think it's an either or situation. The Conrad- Barbasol razor patent was driven by the need to address clogging problems with brushless creams but that doesn't preclude other motivating factors for other manufacturers. The clogging problem would seem to have driven ASR as well,, at least in terms of marketing, otherwise Clog-Pruf would be a curious choice to name their MMOC successor. .
That is similar to my thinking. More frequent, end users shaving themselves resulted in fewer beard wearers. Making the comb less needed, plus manufacturing changes made little dangling bits more of a problem/harder to automate.

The other side of thinking is that OCs clogged with the advent of shaving paste, thus my experiment. Since TTOs came out around the time OCs declined, they should handle clogging better if clogging was the reason for the decline.

I've learned to lay the cap against my skin and raise to where the blade begins to cut. That's not very far either.

MMOC.jpg
MMOC2.jpg

I am sure if I used this razor everyday I would develop muscle memory, but presently I need to be intentional on all areas of my face. Since I have no facial hair, the chin and below the nose are areas where I take great care since maintaining the correct angle is more difficult.

Yes, please join Monday and report your experiences. We can help each other tame this beast.

I don't think it's an either or situation. The Conrad- Barbasol razor patent was driven by the need to address clogging problems with brushless creams but that doesn't preclude other motivating factors for other manufacturers. The clogging problem would seem to have driven ASR as well,, at least in terms of marketing, otherwise Clog-Pruf would be a curious choice to name their MMOC successor. .
That's a good point regarding naming the successor of the MMOC the Clog Pruf.

I've learned to lay the cap against my skin and raise to where the blade begins to cut. That's not very far either.

View attachment 903853 View attachment 903854

I am sure if I used this razor everyday I would develop muscle memory, but presently I need to be intentional on all areas of my face. Since I have no facial hair, the chin and below the nose are areas where I take great care since maintaining the correct angle is more difficult.

Yes, please join Monday and report your experiences. We can help each other tame this beast.
Will do !

Made it to Micromatic Monday !

The tips in those articles helped. With a brand new Gem PTFE blade the MMOC annihilated 70% stubble in the first pass - very smooth no cuts or weepers. Used the recently arrived feather light for the second pass. Mild but extremely efficient. Thee pass BBS with great lather from Razorock Alchemy shave soap. Finished off with alum and Alchemy after shave splash.

Skin truly feels soft and smooth ! Thankyou to all you Gem fans and enablers - the MMOC is back in my rotation with the other vintage Gem razors.

Micromatic Monday it will be from now on - suits me perfectly to knock down two days of growth each Monday :)
proxy.php

Made it to Micromatic Monday !

The tips in those articles helped. With a brand new Gem PTFE blade the MMOC annihilated 70% stubble in the first pass - very smooth no cuts or weepers. Used the recently arrived feather light for the second pass. Mild but extremely efficient. Thee pass BBS with great lather from Razorock Alchemy shave soap. Finished off with alum and Alchemy after shave splash.

Skin truly feels soft and smooth ! Thankyou to all you Gem fans and enablers - the MMOC is back in my rotation with the other vintage Gem razors.

Micromatic Monday it will be from now on - suits me perfectly to knock down two days of growth each Monday :)
proxy.php

Perfect and thank you for posting your experiences. I will be lathering within the hour. :)

I used my MMNC(Micromatic No Comb) today. I modified a MMOC by removing the comb. One ATG pass to polish things off.

IMAG0850_1.jpg

Top Bottom