What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Micromatic Memorial Monday (or Memorial GEMonday) -- I Love a Parade!!!

Had a very nice DFS at 2-passes, but my dad taught me that when you watch a parade you stay until the very end -- we wouldn't leave until the Fire Engines passed by -- so I did a 3rd pass and just a tiny touch-up for a DFS+. No blood or irritation, it was a really nice shave. The shave was complemented with modern Williams (rubbed on my face like a shave stick) and my most patriotic boar brush, and I also used cold water, as I'm sure would have been done in the field.

Whether this Gem Junior is a true Parade, I'll never know...but the gold wash is mostly intact (especially on the handle), and the spring makes the head snap like an alligator. The GEM SS PTFE blade was on it's 16th shave, and it cut well and smoothly....I'm going to see how many shaves I get from this marvel.

To my fellow shavers, please be safe and enjoy your shaves!!!

proxy.php

L63IOk3VRt3wI.gif

Razor: Gem Junior The Parade Baton Handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
L'Occitane Cedrat balm
Pinaud Finest powder
20200524_084120.jpg

GeMemorial Parade

All my uncles served in either WW2 or Korea. My dad, as middle son, served in both. Europe for the last stages of the big one, then posted during Korea to the Wisconsin theater, running a rail yard. That yard probably moved a lot of ammunition out of the Badger Ordinance Works on its way to either the hot war or the Cold War.

They all came back to the Midwest and raised families.

Baton Gem Junior, ‘The Parade’
Gem Carbon Steel (7) - why no ‘Blue Star’ type visible rust?
‘Col. Cool’ mentholated glycerin pre-shave soap
Wholly Kaw King of Bourbon
Alum, Dickinson’s witch hazel toner, bay rum mix
201D909C-8F4A-4547-9681-225575849654.jpeg

The blade is down to CCS+. I chased DFS a little, but irritation was far below ‘prepping for kitchen remodel’ levels of pain and suffering.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Memorial Day - Always Remember & Honor Those Who "Gave the Last Full Measure of Devotion" for Freedom
Memorial-Day.jpeg

Micromatic Monday Shave 20200525
shave 20200525.jpg

Razor: GEM Jr. Parade, Baton Handle
Blade: Personna GEM (8)
Brush: AP Shave Co. 24mm 2-BED Synthetic
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Musk

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS+ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Outstanding Memorial Day shave!

Second shave with the GEM Jr 1912. No major cuts this time and had a better angle. Def felt closer and overall a much better shave than the DE. Still disappointing overall but I wonder if dry skin and loose skin (due to being overweight) are contributing to poor shaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Second shave with the GEM Jr 1912. No major cuts this time and had a better angle. Def felt closer and overall a much better shave than the DE. Still disappointing overall but I wonder if dry skin and loose skin (due to being overweight) are contributing to poor shaves.
If you look at my Pre-shave routine post#3917 that will help over time and lots of folks will skin stretch a little by puffing their cheeks like a bull frog(bull-frogging for slang) or taking the idle hand and stretch the skin a little, do not over stretch thinking it will do better. Some will tilt their head upwards or sideways to stretch.(some of the facial expressions are funny IMO)
After a while you will know your procedure and shaving will be more enjoyable hopefully.
Here is some additional information that folks do not get when buying used razors.Just click on image to expand.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg
Gem procedure (2).jpg
Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Very glad to hear the second shave went better.

I joined the Parade of Gem Junior Parades. I love the Baton handles and have 3 variations in my collection. This shave was excellent and darn near BBS. As always I love the Mer Shaving Fougere orange. The @Graydog brush performs exceptionally well and is a joy to own and use.
Today's shave was with a fist use Gem SS PTFE blade. I ran the edge through a packing peanut before using to take out some of the potential harshness these blades tend to have. It seems to have payed off.
A splash of Thayers aloe cucumber was a great finish to a fantastic shave.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip Guiding Eye Flying Wing
Blade: GEM by Personna 3-facet Super Stainless (12)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger; forget what model
Soap: Cella, red container
Rating: 8

I think I pushed this blade one shave too far: lots of resistance and irritation, even on the WTG pass. After a 3 pass WTG/XTG/ATG pass, I managed a pretty close shave, but not the usual BBS from this GEM setup. The last shave (#11 on this blade) was perfect, so I will try a fresh blade next time. Happy Memorial Day.

Looking forward to Monday!! (OK, I’ll probably use it tomorrow AND Monday)

The handle was a little grimy when I got it out but it cleaned up nice - didn’t even bother polishing it with Mothers (though I may very lightly later)

Now have a GEM 1912, MMOC, Clog Pruf and Featherweight in the den.

956702C3-E23F-4EB1-8694-2DD88071A8B6.jpeg

66AF5745-55B4-4116-BCDF-EC006D574080.jpeg
39728485-5733-4DBD-A0D4-CB5A6868029B.jpeg
CE4A1AC2-9E91-416F-832A-0013669183A1.jpeg
955C7568-C4D3-4C28-95D2-B18E62704D54.jpeg
FA4BD97E-43C0-4321-BF5F-9F9482CF94F8.jpeg

Did have two questions:

(1) The old blades in the dispenser don’t look like they’re rusted or have issues, just have a little sticky oil residue on them. Should I shave with one or no?

(2) Any issue with loading a couple of my new GEM Personna coated blades in the dispenser for storage and use?

34F82031-E3CC-4A16-B121-5AF3651847AC.jpeg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Well done @MyOldKentuckyHome....a NOS Featherweight, truly a thing of beauty!!! As to the vintage blade question, I was reading your post and thinking, "I've got to flash the 'Bat Signal'!!!" and before I could scroll down to do so, Batman showed up!!!
Vintage blade shave? Go for it, but report back here!

Reload? Just don’t dull the edge. I like having wrapped edges from the tray, not that I have ever had a problem with blades from the dispenser.

Looking forward to Monday!! (OK, I’ll probably use it tomorrow AND Monday)

The handle was a little grimy when I got it out but it cleaned up nice - didn’t even bother polishing it with Mothers (though I may very lightly later)

Now have a GEM 1912, MMOC, Clog Pruf and Featherweight in the den.

View attachment 1106640

View attachment 1106641View attachment 1106642View attachment 1106643View attachment 1106646View attachment 1106647

Did have two questions:

(1) The old blades in the dispenser don’t look like they’re rusted or have issues, just have a little sticky oil residue on them. Should I shave with one or no?

(2) Any issue with loading a couple of my new GEM Personna coated blades in the dispenser for storage and use?

View attachment 1106648

Nice 1st Gen Featherweight. I prefer my first Gen to my second Gen. I've never used any vintage blades so I'll be interested i what you think of them.

Top Bottom