What's new

Micromatic Monday

I messed up and I cannot lie...

I just did a slant side-by-side shave in a ‘new razor/days running together’ haze.

I also hit two grocery stores and spent $300 on groceries before shaving, so I will plead fiscal traumatic shock.

Hoarding, you say? No, all three of my young men have been banished from classrooms and offices. They’re big, they’re bold, they’re home all day and the groceries just vanish.

BUT, there is always the threat of the dread 5 o’clock shadow. I will wield my Featherweight this evening and Micromatic Monday the heck out of any stubble I can find. And post before midnight.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
It was a GEMonday for me with a new to me GEM Junior. This "Made in Brooklyn" razor came off the BST almost a year ago....it didn't look particularly special to me since it was a 1912 style, but looks can be deceiving, and I should've taken this magnificent razor for a shave much earlier.

The shave was very comfortable, but it took me 3 passes and a touch-up to get a "light" DFS (CCS-DFS-BBS). It could be that the carbon Treet blade I used is getting "long in the tooth", or it could be my technique was a little off. Regardless, it was a nice shave and I really enjoyed the razor. While the handle is beautiful and still has its gold wash intact -- I will likely pop a baton handle on it in the future to see what that is like.

The soap was also relatively new to me....a German maker Meissner Tremonia with a very nice woodsy fragrance (Exotic Elemi) -- I pick up coniferous notes (especially cedar with a touch of pine). The brush is also a winner (although not new to me any longer), a 3 band badger in a real stone (Jadeite) handle by Elite Razor.

proxy.php

I chose this razor in part because I've been thinking a lot about my friends in the NYC area. I truly hope you, your loved ones and friends all stay safe.

It was a GEMonday for me with a new to me GEM Junior. This "Made in Brooklyn" razor came off the BST almost a year ago....it didn't look particularly special to me since it was a 1912 style, but looks can be deceiving, and I should've taken this magnificent razor for a shave much earlier.

The shave was very comfortable, but it took me 3 passes and a touch-up to get a "light" DFS (CCS-DFS-BBS). It could be that the carbon Treet blade I used is getting "long in the tooth", or it could be my technique was a little off. Regardless, it was a nice shave and I really enjoyed the razor. While the handle is beautiful and still has its gold wash intact -- I will likely pop a baton handle on it in the future to see what that is like.

The soap was also relatively new to me....a German maker Meissner Tremonia with a very nice woodsy fragrance (Exotic Elemi) -- I pick up coniferous notes (especially cedar with a touch of pine). The brush is also a winner (although not new to me any longer), a 3 band badger in a real stone (Jadeite) handle by Elite Razor.

proxy.php

I chose this razor in part because I've been thinking a lot about my friends in the NYC area. I truly hope you, your loved ones and friends all stay safe.

absolutely stellar shape. I think you time traveled to acquire that!!!!

camo

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
absolutely stellar shape. I think you time traveled to acquire that!!!!

camo
Thank you, sir! I must confess that I have a difficult time telling brass from gold wash (at least on some razors), but this razor makes it easy. The handle (which is a lighter golden yellow look) never changes color, but the head definitely darkens and gets a brassy orange relatively quickly, that is until it meets the Flitz metal polish.....then for one bright shining shave they are both shiny and *almost* look like they both have their plating intact.

I also want to say that this shave was better (i.e., closer) than I initially gave it credit. That happens with me sometimes (mostly with DE razors for some reason), the shave doesn't feel terribly close immediately after the shave (i.e., I still feel some stubble as I rub against the grain), then after 30 minutes or so, my face feels smoother. Of course in this day and time we shouldn't really be walking around touching our faces, but I only do that within the confines of my own home. ;)

I had about 7 days to knock down so I went with two of my most efficient open come razors I have. The results were a very comfortable close shave with little effort. I used the Star for the front of my neck and beard line and the Henckels took out the stubble on the back of my neck.

I had about 7 days to knock down so I went with two of my most efficient open come razors I have. The results were a very comfortable close shave with little effort. I used the Star for the front of my neck and beard line and the Henckels took out the stubble on the back of my neck.

no fair putting that handle on that one.........

see TALC.......

camo

Today I got in my Ever-Ready 1914. I had one before that I sold, now I'm glad to have one again. I had 3 days of growth. The Shave was great as always as I remember with the 1914. Very smooth with a lot of feed-back from the razor. I like that.
I did 2 passes, one WTG and ATG, plus some touch ups. Today I used:

razor: ER-1914
blade: Walgreens GEM
soap: Nivea stick
brush: RazoRock Big Bruce
aftershave: Chatillon Lux

Ever-Ready_1914.JPG

Last edited:
[Strolling casually in after the 5 o’clock shadow mission...]

Gem Featherweight
Gem PTFE 13
Barbasol Sensitive brushless latherless cream
Witch hazel
Burt’s Bees aftershave balm
9CE138A4-F96C-4424-8CAD-36DC0C704AC3.jpeg

I have mentioned my sub-par color vision in this thread in the past. Today’s revelation - my Featherweight cap is nickel plated! Are they all nickel?

A second revelation - with time on my hands, I’m shaving too much. Tomorrow I will distance myself from any shaving.

According to some, all Featherweights have either gold or nickel caps.

While searching through B&B I found this Gem blast from the past:

Gem G-Bar and Williams soap.

View attachment 1080738

Except for that outstanding scuttle :001_wub:, I can copy that shave! And I will, once I take myself off shave-sabbatical tomorrow or Thursday.

Williams, a, shall we say, ‘not too expensive’ American banded boar, and Pinaud’s VIBR were once the core of my kit.

Actually, that was my entire kit, except for an inherited Old Type and a prized, exotic Merkur 36. In my ignorance, single edge blades were for paint scrapers, a Gem Featherweight was just a razor my mother owned, and two razors were more than enough.

Anyway, tribute shave to @Captain H and his seaworthy scuttle coming soon!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday (Tuesday Edition ;)) Shave 20200331

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

shave 20200331.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: n/a
Brush: @Graydog Full Moon Chubby
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Bowl: n/a (face lathered)
Razor: GEM Junior, Bakelite Handle
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (10 and retired)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Skin Toner
Aftershave Balm: Bath & Bodyworks Hyaluronic Acid Gel
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. Outstanding shave!

I REALLY like using the @Graydog Full Moon Chubby brush. :)

Great combination of hardware and software. :)

YMMV

Corked and loaded a fresh Gem PTFE, I am set up for a period appropriate Gem/Ever-Ready @Captain H copycat shave.

I did my homework, refreshed and rehashed my Williams background in the WISE thread, studied bay rum to the extent of taking notes on the recipes for @OkieStubble “Bootlegger’s (R)” and @EL SOFA homebrew. Brushwise, my E-R has a price code of 100, so 50¢ less than Captain H’s.

The stage is set: that’s Williams in the pottery Old Spice mug. Noon here, time to shower and shave!

23E2E3F1-6761-43CE-93D0-87FC437AA6CF.jpeg

Top Bottom