What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Just checking in...want to get another shave or 2 with my 1912 before I start trying out the MMOC. I'm gonna start cleaning it up to get it ready. I'll probably use the MMOC thru christmas, then start New years with the G-bar.

I've lost a bit of aqcuisiion control over the past 2 months. I'm using these awesome 1912 Gems saying to myself - wow these feel so much nicer than my DE's.......and then i go and buy another DE last night......but it's a Star 100 !!!
We've all been there -- or at least I have! Really interested in hearing how you like the MMOC.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEM (Bumpless) Micromatic Open Comb (you've seen it before)
GEM Persona SS PTFE (lost count)
XPEC Original
Omega 626
View attachment 1044207

And for your future viewing pleasure ... A couple more GEMs came in this weekend. Cleanup tonight and then next GEMonday should see some new players ... Jr., Jr. (baton), Featherweight, Pushbutton, Damaskeen.
View attachment 1044209
View attachment 1044210
Looking at the razors you just purchased they are for sure ones I that enjoy using. They look in great shape by previous owners and should give you years of pleasure!
Have some great shaves!

Mondays shave was this even though I didn't have much more than a 5 o'clock shadow!
Prep was the usual hot shower after work
Razor-GEM Bullet Tip Magic Eye
Blade-GEM (3)
Soap-Poraso (red tub sandlwood) face lathered.
Brush-Custom boar in Ultem GN knot.
Post- cold water splash+GJ alum, and Edwin Jaeger's Sandlewood balm.
Results-very mild 3 pass BBS shave. So pleased with this razor glad I changed my weekly routine to try it!
IMG_20191216_171528__01.jpg

Flintstone65

Results-very mild 3 pass BBS shave. So pleased with this razor glad I changed my weekly routine to try it!
We're glad you did too! The Bullet Tip (aka Flying Wing) is a favorite of mine as well -- thanks for joining us!!!

No photo/bedtime GEMonday

Golddachs SR
Gem 1912 / PTFE (5)
Lea menthol cream + Proraso green
No brand boar
Alum/witch hazel/Florida Water

Long day! 5 a.m. Gillette Slim shave to honor @imatabor . Then a full mountain ski excursion. Finally a late shave of the 9 o’clock shadow for a smooth night’s sleep.

This was the second shave with the new Golddachs. A little finish honing did it a world of good. The golden 1912 did the close work on the continued establishment of a goatee and serious side whiskers. This PTFE has been a champion, still nice, fresh and sharp on shave 5. It has been much more comfortable on the newly exposed skin than my DE blades.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20191216

Prep: Rinse Face
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Frank Shaving 21mm Pur-Tech Synthetic
Cream: Proraso Green
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: GEM Featherweight G Bar
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (4)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon Balm w/Menthol
Aftershave: Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods

WTG, ATG, XTG with minor touch-up and buffing.

BBS with two small weepers under my chin but no nicks, cuts or irritation.

As I stated yesterday: I REALLY like GEM Featherweight G Bar razor/Ted Pella GEM blade combination. So comfortable and natural. One of my favorites!

9++/10

Micromatic Monday Shave 20191216

Prep: Rinse Face
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Frank Shaving 21mm Pur-Tech Synthetic
Cream: Proraso Green
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: GEM Featherweight G Bar
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (4)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon Balm w/Menthol
Aftershave: Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods

WTG, ATG, XTG with minor touch-up and buffing.

BBS with two small weepers under my chin but no nicks, cuts or irritation.

As I stated yesterday: I REALLY like GEM Featherweight G Bar razor/Ted Pella GEM blade combination. So comfortable and natural. One of my favorites!

9++/10

As I understand it the G-bar and Featherweight are two different razors. But people have differing names for things sometimes and I'm certainly no expert. Could you post a picture of yours to see what you have.

Flintstone65

As I understand it the G-bar and Featherweight are two different razors. But people have differing names for things sometimes and I'm certainly no expert. Could you post a picture of yours to see what you have.
I'm guessing it's a Featherweight -- they also have the little stamped circled G on the handle (which is also how the G-Bar got it's name). @never-stop-learning: is the handle of your razor plastic (either white or black)? If yes, it's a Featherweight -- if it's metal, then it's a G-Bar. I should go take a couple of pics of my two models, but I'm still unpacking...I suspect I will be trough the remainder of the year.

Flintstone65

So the what we call the G-Bar (but I believe GEM referred to as the Heavy Flat Top) is the metal handled model, and the somewhat smaller and definitely lighter razor is the Featherweight. Here's an old thread I found, by somebody who put some research into it -- of course, it's 8 years old now, so perhaps there is newer info.
HFT vs Featherweight

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So the what we call the G-Bar (but I believe GEM referred to as the Heavy Flat Top) is the metal handled model, and the somewhat smaller and definitely lighter razor is the Featherweight. Here's an old thread I found, by somebody who put some research into it -- of course, it's 8 years old now, so perhaps there is newer info.
HFT vs Featherweight
I have both the Featherweight Deluxe and the full sized, all metal G Bar.

I'll post a side by side later tonight. :)

Flintstone65

Deluxe, you say?

Didn't even know there is a Deluxe.

Excellent! I learned something today. :)

Thank you, @Flintstone65 :)
Yep, I've got 2 non-deluxe (all white handles, one with a silver colored top and one with a light gold wash that's literally washing off); and I just picked up a cased Deluxe -- Gold tip on the bottom, and the tops Gold plate is really done nicely and tends to stay in place....at least from what I've observed. GEM didn't do a lot of "Deluxe" upsell versions, but this is one of them....really beautiful!

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I've got 2 non-deluxe (all weight handles, one with a silver colored top and one with a light gold wash that's literally washing off); and I just picked up a cased Deluxe -- Gold tip on the bottom, and the tops Gold plate is really done nicely and tends to stay in place....at least from what I've observed. GEM didn't do a lot "Deluxe" upsell versions, but this is one of them....really beautiful!

I really like this little razor.

Spent lots of money on razors and this little GEM runs with the big dogs (for typically around $20US or so).

Here you go:

View attachment 1044396

This is the smaller and lighter version of the G Bar, hence "Featherweight". :)
Deluxe, you say?

Didn't even know there is a Deluxe.

Excellent! I learned something today. :)

Thank you, @Flintstone65 :)

Fred beet me to it. I was responding to a PM from another member. That is a great looking featherweight deluxe you have. The standard featherweight doesn't have the cap end on the handle and is silver in color I don't know if the they made a gold none deluxe. The standard handles came in at least white/cream, dark brown and either really dark grey or black possibly both. It's hard to tell from pictures sometimes. I've only seen the deluxe in white and gold but a black and gold would be beautiful. Oddly enough I really don't like yellow gold except on razors. And I really like brass in just about anything.

Top Bottom