What's new

Micromatic Monday

Dark days. I am heading off to commit acts of forestry today, but at 5 am I took my foot off the pedal and decided to let the fog lift, let the air temps to approach the 40s, and let my whiskers get chopped before the underbrush.

Hot rag
Cattaraugus Cutlery Yellow Boy
Shovelhead
Lea menthol cream and Williams Mug
Whiting-Adams Vulcan boar
Alum/witch hazel/Proraso green lotion
493CDFB6-C017-43E7-BBB3-BB95357974EE.jpeg

The Treets are carbon. My experience is that they're smooth right out of the box, but I can't really get more than 5 shaves out of them, no matter how nicely I treat them post-shave. I've got a paddle stop as well, and very interested in any experimentation you do with stropping the carbons.

It was a Micromatic Monday for me. I had two-pass (no touch-up) shave with my BMMOC, and came away with a DFS+. @Tanuki's "Restraint from BBS" really raised the level of my shaving game....instead of chasing a BBS with a 3-pass or a 2-pass with a "touch-up"/"clean-up", I've been sticking with a straight 2-pass shave and leaving it at that. So far my face feels better, my technique is more careful (aka less sloppy) and I've had better shaves.

Here's the rest of the software/hardware: Stirling MITA lathered with a Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf and finished with a splash of Thayers Rose. The star of the shave was the BMOCC with a GEM SS PTFE on it's 9th shave.
proxy.php

I have only gotten a few shaves from a carbon. The one had no rust issues just didn't retain the edge. The next one had rust after the first shave even though I dried it very well and stored it in a small ziplock in a bath of mineral oil. I get around 5-7 shaves from an SS single edge blade and I don't shave my beard. I chalk it up to tough hair and sensitive skin on my neck. Still better than I got with a cartridge razor. I had some last 2 shaves and some only last half a shave.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Not precisely Micromatic, but at least Gem-ish this morning:

ATT G-1
Personna PTFE (1)
Williams New Mug
RazoRock Beehive brush

After some careful thought, revisting the G1 again. I have discovered that it has a rather narrow sweet spot. With the later, more aggressive baseplate it shaves closer but is still a tremendously mild razor. I've also lately been experimenting with two-pass shaves instead of three-pass. Depending on the razor this can be effective; with the G1 I could do it with a brand new blade but might not be able to once it's got a couple of shaves on it.

O.H.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191209

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Handle, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (3)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon Menthol
Aftershave: Brut

WTG, ATG, XTG plus buffing and touch--up.

DFS with one small weeper (stopped with cold water rinse plus Alum), no nicks or cuts, minor irritation.

9/10

As promised today's Micromatic Monday was actually a Gemonday with the Gem Jr. Bar. I used a Treet super given to me by a friend. I'm assuming these are carbon blades. It was smoother than the Pal carbon blade I started with a then quickly abandoned but not much. I want to try stropping some of these different carbon blades. I have a paddle strop with interchangeable magnetic stopping pads but I really want to get a fire hose hanging strop. Anyways Mer Shavings Barbershop lathered great with a two band badger.
This was a quick but enjoyable shave overall. I slept an hour longer than planned otherwise I would have done the stropping today.

View attachment 1042016

Very nice razor sir! I'm on the hunt for one like it!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Shave 20191209

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Handle, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (3)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon Menthol
Aftershave: Brut

WTG, ATG, XTG plus buffing and touch--up.

DFS with one small weeper (stopped with cold water rinse plus Alum), no nicks or cuts, minor irritation.

9/10
Almost didn't recognize you as Doc Holiday!

Very nice razor sir! I'm on the hunt for one like it!

Be patient. They are out there for reasonable prices if you can wait. The Jr. Bar is an excellent shaver. I also have an Ever-Ready and Kampfe star both of them are slightly more efficient than the Jr. Bar but not nearly as smooth. And I've heard the same thing from people with bigger lather catcher collections.
I liked this one so much I acquired one with the three piece metal handle in a trade with a good friend of mine. I actually got this one from him too. I made a custom set of scales for a very large knife he has, he gave me this Jr. Bar as a thank you gift. It has been my favorite razor since the first shave.

Be patient. They are out there for reasonable prices if you can wait. The Jr. Bar is an excellent shaver. I also have an Ever-Ready and Kampfe star both of them are slightly more efficient than the Jr. Bar but not nearly as smooth. And I've heard the same thing from people with bigger lather catcher collections.
I liked this one so much I acquired one with the three piece metal handle in a trade with a good friend of mine. I actually got this one from him too. I made a custom set of scales for a very large knife he has, he gave me this Jr. Bar as a thank you gift. It has been my favorite razor since the first shave.
Sound advice thank you, I'm gonna keep on the look out happy shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Good morning all -- or at least it's morning in my little slice of the world!!! Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) is approaching, and I've been mentally running through my GEM, Ever Ready, Star and Treet razors trying to decide which one to grab this auspicious event.

I've been leaning towards a GEMonday with my OC Dammy. As some of you know, I've recently moved, and while it may sound strange, I've been enjoying inaugurating each of my razors in the new shave den. And the Open Comb Damaskeene has not made an appearance here yet....but neither have most of my GEMs, Ever Readys, or Stars for that matter....decisions, decisions.

What's in your wallet....ummm, I mean what are you thinking about using on Monday? Sorry for the commercial reference, I haven't figured out my new DVR system at this place and I've been forced to watch a lot of commercials.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good morning all -- or at least it's morning in my little slice of the world!!! Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) is approaching, and I've been mentally running through my GEM, Ever Ready, Star and Treet razors trying to decide which one to grab this auspicious event.

I've been leaning towards a GEMonday with my OC Dammy. As some of you know, I've recently moved, and while it may sound strange, I've been enjoying inaugurating each of my razors in the new shave den. And the Open Comb Damaskeene has not made an appearance here yet....but neither have most of my GEMs, Ever Readys, or Stars for that matter....decisions, decisions.

What's in your wallet....ummm, I mean what are you thinking about using on Monday? Sorry for the commercial reference, I haven't figured out my new DVR system at this place and I've been forced to watch a lot of commercials.
Should also be a GEMonday for myself also, I will take out my Damaskeene OC also, I will put in a new blade and I usually receive a stellar shave with it. It is a very nice razor to use IMO with a little different feel than the other GEMS that do not have the open comb design. Looks like Gem had to start some where and open combs were more popular at the turn of the century, so that was the path they took for a while 1912-15.
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday for myself today, I really like my Gem Damaskeene OC and it was a little keener today with a new Gem blade and technique maybe off a little? Still a wonderful great shave!

Razor : Gem Damaskeene open comb -MFG 1912-15
Blade : Gem SS PTFE (1)
Soap : Proraso Red Sandalwood
Brush : Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm+
Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse.
Post shave: Proraso red with witch hazel
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated minor irritation + a couple of blemish weepers = :a17:
GEMonday Dec 16-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Impressive shaves, and we're just getting started! As promised, I did an Open Comb Damaskeene shave. My blade was much more worn than yours, @Ron R -- so my shave results differed as a result. After 2 passes (WTG and XTG/ATG with no touch-up), I was left with more of a CCS-DFS-BBS. It was a very comfortable and enjoyable shave, and while the closeness was more than acceptable, it definitely was not in the BBS range at all. Here are the shave details:
Gem Damaskeene open comb -MFG 1912-15 | GEM SS PTFE (10) | Omega Boar lathering RR Acqua |
Finished up with Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel
proxy.php

GEM (Bumpless) Micromatic Open Comb (you've seen it before)
GEM Persona SS PTFE (lost count)
XPEC Original
Omega 626
IMG_20191216_062532-01.jpeg

And for your future viewing pleasure ... A couple more GEMs came in this weekend. Cleanup tonight and then next GEMonday should see some new players ... Jr., Jr. (baton), Featherweight, Pushbutton, Damaskeen.
IMG_20191216_091349-01.jpeg
IMG_20191216_091428.jpg

Just checking in...want to get another shave or 2 with my 1912 before I start trying out the MMOC. I'm gonna start cleaning it up to get it ready. I'll probably use the MMOC thru Christmas, then start New Year's eve with the G-bar.

I've lost a bit of aqcuisition control over the past 2 months. I'm using these awesome 1912 Gems saying to myself - wow these feel so much nicer than my DE's.......and then i go and buy another vintage DE.....but it's a Star 100 !!! I'll get to that sometime in January, holy moly.

Top Bottom