What's new

Micromatic Monday

Thanks! The knot is in decent shape, so I just washed it really well and started shaving with it. I’m not going to Barbicide a knot again. I thought the model # was 900, but now I don’t know. 300? 800? Hard to read it.

It's a lovely brush, been looking for an old Ever Ready but I've not seen one as nice as that so far.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
WHOA!!!!! Mea Culpa All -- Micromatic Monday slipped right up on top of me and ALMOST (but not quite) by me!!!!

Well it is NOT too late....Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) is upon us, and it is also SEptember, so there's no excuse to grab a Micromatic (or GEM or GEM cousin....Ever-Ready, Star, Treet).

So who will be the first to step it up? I'll be here with a Slant and a GEM (haven't decided yet).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good morning this MMMonday, I'm still doing some testing on my GEM cousin the ASR Everready 1924 (shovel head) that was used this morning also for SEptemper, so I got two birds with one stone.
Razor: Everready 1924 Shovel head Mfg 1924-33
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (4)
Brush: Razorock Noir 400
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Preshave: wet the face + Aloe Vera gel
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave:Razorock Blue barber + witch hazel+ Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicates irritation around the jaw line, over shaving more than likely=:(
MMMonday Sept 2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Simple one today, it was a "Wake up you bastard!" shave. 1 pass each, first the MMOC then 1 with the Star 1912 with a feather. Simplest DFS ever, I love these razors.

Soap was my own invention, it's a Euro version of the Blue Willy, Euro Aqua Velva dripped on Monsavon soap pre brush loading. I call it a Blue Mons, and since it's a "Wake up you bastard!" shave I used my menthol boosted AV, so it's a Blue Menthol Mons or maybe a Blue Meanie as it was quite a slap to the face.

After Shave was the aforementioned Menthol Boosted AV.

I am now officially awake and to prove it I'm going to pick at your post @Flintstone65 :D I think you meant no excuse NOT to grab a Micromatic :p

full

Flintstone65

I am now officially awake and to prove it I'm going to pick at your post @Flintstone65 :D I think you meant no excuse NOT to grab a Micromatic :p
Ya got me :001_302:!!! And well done on the shave....not just ONE, but TWO great razors!!!

Good morning this MMMonday, I'm still doing some testing on my GEM cousin the ASR Everready 1924 (shovel head) that was used this morning also for SEptemper, so I got two birds with one stone.
Very nice!!!

My excuse for NOT grabbing a Micromatic? I’m on the road, and the Shovelhead is as small an ASR razor as I have.

7013B42F-432E-404D-8211-7A337D5C1F53.jpeg

Slantember double: BBS. Effective duo, did L slant and R SE. My stealth EdC? Not telling.

Flintstone65

My Micromatic Monday was in fact a GEMonday -- and since I'm shepherding / facilitating this year's Slantember, the GEM shared the stage with my Fasan Open Comb slant (full bakelite). This particular GEM 1912 (squat head) and I have just not meshed all that well. I love my Damaskeene with a curved cap, but this razor and I just haven't fallen in love....unless it's idea of displaying affection is through multiple weepers. I love the look of this razor, but (so far) it is far from my favorite GEM. Despite some red showing up on the only pass the GEM took (2nd pass, XTG); the shave was still very nice and I ended up with a DFS+ (after a first and third pass from the Fasan).

Here are the details and pic:
Razors: Fasan Open Comb Slant (Full Bakelite) | GEM 1912 (squat head)
Blades: Vokshod (4) | GEM PTFE SS (2)
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm
Soap: Valobra Fougère
A/S: Thayers Rose Witch Hazel
IMG_2078.jpg

My Micromatic Monday was in fact a GEMonday -- and since I'm shepherding / facilitating this year's Slantember, the GEM shared the stage with my Fasan Open Comb slant (full bakelite). This particular GEM 1912 (squat head) and I have just not meshed all that well. I love my Damaskeene with a curved cap, but this razor and I just haven't fallen in love....unless it's idea of displaying affection is through multiple weepers. I love the look of this razor, but (so far) it is far from my favorite GEM. Despite some red showing up on the only pass the GEM took (2nd pass, XTG); the shave was still very nice and I ended up with a DFS+ (after a first and third pass from the Fasan).

Here are the details and pic:
Razors: Fasan Open Comb Slant (Full Bakelite) | GEM 1912 (squat head)
Blades: Vokshod (4) | GEM PTFE SS (2)
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm
Soap: Valobra Fougère
A/S: Thayers Rose Witch Hazel
View attachment 1013440

That Fasan is lovely, I've been looking for a Bakelite and a slant recently, I'm jealous. Do you know what year it's from?

Flintstone65

That Fasan is lovely, I've been looking for a Bakelite and a slant recently, I'm jealous. Do you know what year it's from?
Thank you -- unfortunately I don't know it's year. Waits' Compendium mentions a German patent in 1933, US Patent filed in 1934 and awarded in 1938; and a British Patent in 1936; but no other mention of dates. I searched here for one (in the U.S) for quite a while and then finally decided to go to the "source" and found one in Germany.

Today was a GemSunday

I picked my Gem minute man with a brand new Gem SS PTFE, probably should have went with the Featherweight to tame the new blade first use. The shave was by no means bad, however the minute man is usually a smoother while still very efficient shaver. Overall it was a very enjoyable shave with Stirling soaps Pharoah's Dreamsicle.

20190908_082910.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's not Monday but...

MMOC
PTFE (8)
Maggard 22mm synthetic
Wickham Club Cola

One pass S-N. One buffing pass ATG. Nice BBS is the result.

For me it gets no better than the MMOC.

Ron R

Today was a GemSunday

I picked my Gem minute man with a brand new Gem SS PTFE, probably should have went with the Featherweight to tame the new blade first use. The shave was by no means bad, however the minute man is usually a smoother while still very efficient shaver. Overall it was a very enjoyable shave with Stirling soaps Pharoah's Dreamsicle.
Never tried that rarity 1912 minute man with the shortened high curve "Squat cap" and a few folks on B&B claim that it can be aggressive + a new blade. A little more technique care no doubt.
Have some great shaves!

It's not Monday but...

MMOC
PTFE (8)
Maggard 22mm synthetic
Wickham Club Cola

One pass S-N. One buffing pass ATG. Nice BBS is the result.

For me it gets no better than the MMOC.
Esox that is a great razor for most but Gem has some others that I enjoy as much if not more. I find the Gem 1912 a little smoother and will give just a great shave on my beard type. For easy going days GEM has some milder razors for daily shaving wants and a person can purchase the whole Gem razor system for a reasonable price if a person wishes!(that is what happened to myself with no regrets.)
Have some greats shaves.

Last edited:
Never tried that rarity 1912 minute man with the shortened high curve "Quant cap" and a few folks on B&B claim that it can be aggressive + a new blade. A little more technique care no doubt.
Have some great shaves!

Esox that is a great razor for most but Gem has some others that I enjoy as much if not more. I find the Gem 1912 a little smoother and will give just a great shave on my beard type. For easy going days GEM has some milder razors for daily shaving wants and a person can purchase the whole Gem razor system for a reasonable price if a person wishes!(that is what happened to myself with no regrets.)
Have some greats shaves.
I'm convinced there are variants even among the curved top squat heads, mine being less aggressive than my flat top squat head, though both more aggressive than my generic '12.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ron R

I'm convinced there are variants even among the curved top squat heads, mine being less aggressive than my flat top squat head, though both more aggressive than my generic '12.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
It seemed Gem made a razor for every type of individual, they did not have internet and word of mouth can be a slow path of communication or none exsistent in remote northern areas back in the creation days when it was introduced to the public . I remember you and @rabidus talking about that Squat razor many months back & it's good to refresh that razor once in a while. I think @GAW9576 might have one, you almost need a side view of the head to determine what he has!
This a picture of a minute man(Squat head-GEM Supreme 1925 model) I found months back.
Gem 'Minute Man' Model Shaving Set changed.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Flintstone65

I'm really glad to see all of these GEMSundays....they are always welcome!!! As to the discussions on the curved-squats and flat-top-squats, I am in the "definitely aggressive" camp when it comes to my curved-top squat. My hats off to those who can use them with a brand new SS PTFE blade.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Have some greats shaves.

I use a Bullet Tip too. I start fresh PTFE blades in it for shaves 1-4 then move them my MMOC for shaves 5-10. That works really well but the Bullet Tip doesnt shave as close as the MMOC, but then again, few razors do.

Ron R

I use a Bullet Tip too. I start fresh PTFE blades in it for shaves 1-4 then move them my MMOC for shaves 5-10. That works really well but the Bullet Tip doesnt shave as close as the MMOC, but then again, few razors do.
Another excellent Micromatic MMFW or MMBT ....Guiding eye for breaking in a new GEM SS PTFE blade & a great shave to boot, I do similar with other GEM milder razors. For some reason the GEM feather weight is a great little fun razor and good for a fast shave and breaking in a new blade is another asset.
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom