What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great MMMonday today with my GEM Micromatic Peerless 1945 Clog Pruf and it gave a reasonable shave for a older blade.
Razor: Gem Micromatic Clug Pruf (1945 Peerless)
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8)
Brush : Razorock Plissoft
Soap : Barrister & Mann Seville
Pre Shave: Wet the face + Aloe Vera gel
Post shave:Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Proraso green + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS (very happy)
MMMonday july 8 2019 (2).jpg

Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg
Some pamphlets if you have no information on a used razor you purchased!
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Today was an excellent Micromatic Monday for me. This particular razor (both the model and the razor itself) was my very first non-injector SE...and it was love at first shave. Those feelings are still there and stronger than ever....it's just an awesome razor.

3 passes and I am CCS-DFS-BBS. The setup was simple: Men's Shaving Soap Company Bay Rum, a 24mm synthetic Boar, and a Gem Micromatic Open Comb with a Gem PTFE SS blade.
IMG_1933.jpg

Bullet tip/Flying Wing’s second try was today, does this put me in on Micromatic Monday? Full report in separate thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rough day for me using single edge technology. Set aside a Clog Proof after shaving half my face. Couldn't finish. Harsh and bloody. Finished with a DE, which I had no problems. Won't be picking up that razor again! Had pretty good success with an Open Comb last week, but still my poor technique with it left me with some sores that took a couple of days to settle down and I used DE the rest of the week.

That's a bit of a horror story, personally I find them a lot easier to shave with than a DE but I did have a lot of experience with a 1912 before getting my Micromatic. Are you maybe going for a BBS before you've quite got a handle on shaving with them, I always find with a new razor, whether it's SE or DE it's best to just go for something that may not be BBS but looks presentable.

To be honest I don't chase BBSs at all these days, I don't think our faces were made to have all the hair scraped off like that, maybe I'm getting too old but if I can get a DFS I'm happy, plus it gives you a decent amount of growth for a daily shave (I must admit I am guilty of making a few too many passes when I'm enjoying myself though).

And @Tanuki, yeah avoid the Mennen stick, they should just stick to aftershaves I reckon and well done to your ladies in the World Cup, I would have been so pissed off if you'd cocked it up after knocking France out :D Amazing tournament though, Ladyball is far more exciting than International Manball, looking forward to the next one.

Flintstone65

Bullet tip/Flying Wing’s second try was today, does this put me in on Micromatic Monday? Full report in separate thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It absolutely does -- looking forward to reading how it went. I just read your results and was happy to see they have improved!!! You'll undoubtedly get there. One thing I will say is that I had issues with neck irritation (with SE's razors only) until I realized that I absolutely could not go ATG in that area with SE's. I can't really explain why DE's don't do that to me, but SE's (injectors and pretty much everything but my Autostrops -- again, can't explain why they and DE's don't). I don't worry about the ATG on my lower neck and just do a WTG or XTG in that area when I'm using an SE. On a side note, it is one of many reasons why folks will do Daily Doubles (or Triples) -- that is, they use multiple razors on various parts of their face. I like DE's for my neck, but love SE's for face.

It absolutely does -- looking forward to reading how it went. I just read your results and was happy to see they have improved!!! You'll undoubtedly get there. One thing I will say is that I had issues with neck irritation (with SE's razors only) until I realized that I absolutely could not go ATG in that area with SE's. I can't really explain why DE's don't do that to me, but SE's (injectors and pretty much everything but my Autostrops -- again, can't explain why they and DE's don't). I don't worry about the ATG on my lower neck and just do a WTG or XTG in that area when I'm using an SE. On a side note, it is one of many reasons why folks will do Daily Doubles (or Triples) -- that is, they use multiple razors on various parts of their face. I like DE's for my neck, but love SE's for face.

That's odd, it's totally the opposite for me, about the only DEs that don't do that to me are Old Types which are pretty aggressive. The only explanation I've come up with is that with milder razors I try to compensate for their mildness by using too much pressure. I tend to get far more weepers from a milder razor than a more aggressive one.

Flintstone65

That's a bit of a horror story, personally I find them a lot easier to shave with than a DE but I did have a lot of experience with a 1912 before getting my Micromatic. Are you maybe going for a BBS before you've quite got a handle on shaving with them, I always find with a new razor, whether it's SE or DE it's best to just go for something that may not be BBS but looks presentable.

To be honest I don't chase BBSs at all these days, I don't think our faces were made to have all the hair scraped off like that, maybe I'm getting too old but if I can get a DFS I'm happy, plus it gives you a decent amount of growth for a daily shave (I must admit I am guilty of making a few too many passes when I'm enjoying myself though).

And @Tanuki, yeah avoid the Mennen stick, they should just stick to aftershaves I reckon and well done to your ladies in the World Cup, I would have been so pissed off if you'd cocked it up after knocking France out :D Amazing tournament though, Ladyball is far more exciting than International Manball, looking forward to the next one.
Very sound advice....I too shoot for a DFS and if I happen to "catch the baby", then that's ok -- but lately I'm finding that while I can get nice face-touching smoothness, it only lasts about 6 to 12 hours and then it is stubble-city.

Lastly, while I haven't weighed in on the Women's World Cup festivities, I've been watching sporadically and couldn't be prouder of them.

Flintstone65

That's odd, it's totally the opposite for me, about the only DEs that don't do that to me are Old Types which are pretty aggressive. The only explanation I've come up with is that with milder razors I try to compensate for their mildness by using too much pressure. I tend to get far more weepers from a milder razor than a more aggressive one.
Interesting. But I do tend towards more aggressive DE's (Single Rings, Old Types, and Slants) -- that said, I've recently had great luck with a Gillette New Short Comb, a brit 7 O'Clock new long comb, and a WW2 contract tech.

I have not figured out my GEM technique but I will pick one and give it a go tomorrow.

1-Gem Minute Man
2-Gem Damaskeene
3-Ever-Ready
4-Ever-Ready England
5-MMOC
6-G Bar
20190708_180626.jpg

Looking for smooth and close.
Suggestions?

I have not figured out my GEM technique but I will pick one and give it a go tomorrow.

1-Gem Minute Man
2-Gem Damaskeene
3-Ever-Ready
4-Ever-Ready England
5-MMOC
6-G BarView attachment 997522

Suggestions?

Lovely collection. I'd go for the double personally, start with the MMOC, then finish off/touch up with one of the others, dealers choice, they're all nice razors.

Flintstone65

1-Gem Minute Man
2-Gem Damaskeene
3-Ever-Ready
4-Ever-Ready England
5-MMOC
6-G BarView attachment 997522

Suggestions?
Wow, nice collection. As someone with each of those razors, I'd start with #2 -- the Gem Damaskeene (aka Dammy). It's a mild, but decently efficient razor. I recommend going slow (short strokes) and start with an ultra-shallow angle and no-to-negative-pressure. Please keep us posted on what you choose and how the shave goes.

Thanks, guys. I think I will go with #2. When I started on this venture my first shave was with the MMOC. After shaving one side of my face I could not understand how the MMOC gathered so much love or maybe just how bad my technique was. Next up was the G Bar. Made it through both sides but still was not sold. After that I found myself creating a list of sale prices for this collection and admitting that maybe I am just a wimp and rationalizing that this may be an opportunity to clear some space for a few more vintage Gillettes. I would like to keep 3 or 4 as a change of pace from my DE rotation so maybe tomorrow will go well, (also own a GEM Jr., MMOC Silver, and an extra G Bar).

Great lineups guys, glad to see so many people joining in on the thread.

My Moments till Midnight Mentholated
Micromatic Monday shave.

Preshave wash with sage goatsmilk soup.
Lather with Cremo Cooling and Arko on two band badger.
First pass WTG Valet Atostrop with Pal carbon blade lightly corked for first use.
Second pass ATG Gem bumped MMOC with 7th flip Gem SS ptfe.
Whitchhazel and Tolsom aftershave splash. CCS to DFS.

20190708_232403.jpg

Flintstone65

Great lineups guys, glad to see so many people joining in on the thread.

My Moments till Midnight Mentholated
Micromatic Monday shave.

Preshave wash with sage goatsmilk soup.
Lather with Cremo Cooling and Arko on two band badger.
First pass WTG Valet Atostrop with Pal carbon blade lightly corked for first use.
Second pass ATG Gem bumped MMOC with 7th flip Gem SS ptfe.
Whitchhazel and Tolsom aftershave splash. CCS to DFS.

View attachment 997586
Beautiful razors, as always!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Props to @BBS-1 for generously adding the Clog-Pruf and Bullet Tip to make it a full range Micromatic passaround. Sign up and check out all three models!
Very Generous individual @BBS-1 for the pass around, in the states it is much more affordable to mail small parcels as compared to Canada. To ship a razor to USA one way is around twenty dollars if I'm not mistaken.

Very Generous individual @BBS-1 for the pass around, in the states it is much more affordable to mail small parcels as compared to Canada. To ship a razor to USA one way is around twenty dollars if I'm not mistaken.

For USPS first class international to Canada it is about $10 for up to 8 oz which 3 razors without cases won't exceed and between 8 oz and 16 oz the rate the rate goes up to about $18.

The best way to do a pass around I think for international to mitigate shipping costs is you have separate sign up lists. US, Canada, EU/UK, Australia, etc. Once the minimum participants for each list is met then you send it out to the first person on the list. The only 2 shipping costs to figure out to even things out is the first person from the US to whichever international and last person on the list back.

Top Bottom