What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For USPS first class international to Canada it is about $10 for up to 8 oz which 3 razors without cases won't exceed and between 8 oz and 16 oz the rate the rate goes up to about $18.

The best way to do a pass around I think for international to mitigate shipping costs is you have separate sign up lists. US, Canada, EU/UK, Australia, etc. Once the minimum participants for each list is met then you send it out to the first person on the list. The only 2 shipping costs to figure out to even things out is the first person from the US to whichever international and last person on the list back.
Good to know that information, I live up in Northern Canada Alberta and I do not think there is UPS center in our town and so I have been using Canada post that have different rules.
Have some great shaves!

Today's was a triple, I went with my oldest Straight and oldest safety razors accompanied by the Enders Speed to do final touch ups.

Hot shower wash with sage goatsmilk soup for prep.
Lather up with Colonel conk lime on two band Badger.
First pass on cheeks and most of neck with the Wade and Butcher circa 1950 to 1970
Finish first pass with the Kampfe Bros star circa 1900 with a Gem SS 8th flip and go over everything very lightly to catch any strays left by the straight and catch the areas I wasn't comfortable with on the neck with the straight.
Final cleanup with the Enders Speed.
Overall a decent shave but I really need to work on my honing skills. The Wade shaved but I used to get a much better edge than I did this time and I know I've not gotten the edge it is capable of.
The Kampfe performed quite well and the Enders with a schick proline b20 is exceptional.

20190711_114007.jpg
20190711_114402.jpg

Not sure which picture I like better so here a both.

Thanks, guys. I think I will go with #2. When I started on this venture my first shave was with the MMOC. After shaving one side of my face I could not understand how the MMOC gathered so much love or maybe just how bad my technique was. Next up was the G Bar. Made it through both sides but still was not sold. After that I found myself creating a list of sale prices for this collection and admitting that maybe I am just a wimp and rationalizing that this may be an opportunity to clear some space for a few more vintage Gillettes. I would like to keep 3 or 4 as a change of pace from my DE rotation so maybe tomorrow will go well, (also own a GEM Jr., MMOC Silver, and an extra G Bar).
Thanks for the advice. It worked out better than I expected for a first shave with the Damaskeene. Much easier to get acquainted with vs. the MMOC. Question, how much difference is there (razor and shave) between the 1930 or so GEM, Ever-Ready, GEM Jr. and the Ever-Ready Brit?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Thanks for the advice. It worked out better than I expected for a first shave with the Damaskeene. Much easier to get acquainted with vs. the MMOC. Question, how much difference is there (razor and shave) between the 1930 or so GEM, Ever-Ready, GEM Jr. and the Ever-Ready Brit?
Really glad to hear you had a good shave with the Dammy -- it is one of my absolute favorites. As for your question, I've got a couple of observations and a confession. First the confession, while I have every one of those razors, I haven't gotten around to shaving with the small (minute man) GEM 1912, the GEM Jr., the Ever-Ready (U.S.) or Ever-Ready Brit. :a0:

That said, here's what I know and what I've heard, plus an excellent chart by @Ron R:
  1. I find the MMOC and G-Bar's to be more aggressive than the Dammy. I like both of those razors, but the MMOC is more a favorite of mine than the G-Bar. I find the odd-shaped handle of the G-Bar to be a little unwieldy to me, and I prefer the shave I get from the MMOC.

2. Unlike the Gillette's where folks generally feel like the Brit models are touched better than their U.S. counterparts -- most folks don't seem to notice a significant difference between the U.S. and Brit model GEMs....I haven't tested that out yet, but that's what I've heard.

3. This is another "I've heard" thing, but some like the minuteman Gem a bit more than the standard sized 1912. I think it's generally viewed as more maneuverable, and perhaps a bit more efficient.
Part of why I have so many untested razors (aside from a raging case of RAD), is that I try to give each razor a solid week to two weeks of shaves. This lets me really get to know the idiosyncrasies of the razor and ultimately develop a more nuanced view of it from my perspective. On one level, a razor is a razor, so the real differences come down to technique and preferences. You may want to spend a bit more time with the Dammy before moving on to the next one. I'd probably recommend the next razor be the Ever-Ready (U.S.) pat'd 1912. Just because I'd probably move somewhat chronologically through the razors. As time went on and the developer's/marketers "improved" the razors over time, that's where you'll likely see differences in efficiency and aggressiveness.

I hope this helps, and all of your razors are very much welcome on this thread, so I hope you'll keep sharing!

Now here's a chart that I really like that was put together by @Ron R on the various GEM razors he has tested:
GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

Flintstone65

Today's was a triple, I went with my oldest Straight and oldest safety razors accompanied by the Enders Speed to do final touch ups.

Hot shower wash with sage goatsmilk soup for prep.
Lather up with Colonel conk lime on two band Badger.
First pass on cheeks and most of neck with the Wade and Butcher circa 1950 to 1970
Finish first pass with the Kampfe Bros star circa 1900 with a Gem SS 8th flip and go over everything very lightly to catch any strays left by the straight and catch the areas I wasn't comfortable with on the neck with the straight.
Final cleanup with the Enders Speed.
Overall a decent shave but I really need to work on my honing skills. The Wade shaved but I used to get a much better edge than I did this time and I know I've not gotten the edge it is capable of.
The Kampfe performed quite well and the Enders with a schick proline b20 is exceptional.

View attachment 998344 View attachment 998345

Not sure which picture I like better so here a both.
Awesome triple with some exquisite razors!!! Well done, my friend!!!

Awesome triple with some exquisite razors!!! Well done, my friend!!!

Thanks, that Star really does shave quite well with just a standard Gem blade in it. The clip that comes up behind the blade holds it at a great angle. It's not quite as smooth as the Gem Jr. Bar but I think it's a HAIR more efficient.

Flintstone65

Thanks, that Star really does shave quite well with just a standard Gem blade in it. The clip that comes up behind the blade holds it at a great angle. It's not quite as smooth as the Gem Jr. Bar but I think it's a HAIR more efficient.
I completely agree.

Flintstone65

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA -- I almost let my pre-Micromatic Monday announcement slip past me!!! Well luckily all is right with the world, and I am here to remind one and all that Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) approaches!!!

Now time for a true confession, I will be unable to participate -- heresy, I know!!! BUT and this is a big butt :ciappa:...um, I mean a big BUT, this should NOT deter you from having an excellent shave with a GEM and sharing it with the rest of us. So who will pick up my slack, and what razor will you be using??? I wholeheartedly recommend a Micromatic (MMOC, MMCP or MMBT), or a GEM Lather Catcher (JR Bar or earlier), or a 1912, a Damaskeene, a Featherweight, Pushbutton, Contour.....maybe even a GEM cousin (aka Ever-Ready or Star).....ahhhhh, the list is long, but you cannot make a mistake with any of the above!!!

So while I won't be able to be here with a pic or description, I will absolutely be living vicariously through you all -- please don't let me (or yourself) down....grab a GEM this Monday and tell us about your excellent shave!!!
:shaving:

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA -- I almost let my pre-Micromatic Monday announcement slip past me!!! Well luckily all is right with the world, and I am here to remind one and all that Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) approaches!!!

Now time for a true confession, I will be unable to participate -- heresy, I know!!! BUT and this is a big butt :ciappa:...um, I mean a big BUT, this should NOT deter you from having an excellent shave with a GEM and sharing it with the rest of us. So who will pick up my slack, and what razor will you be using??? I wholeheartedly recommend a Micromatic (MMOC, MMCP or MMBT), or a GEM Lather Catcher (JR Bar or earlier), or a 1912, a Damaskeene, a Featherweight, Pushbutton, Contour.....maybe even a GEM cousin (aka Ever-Ready or Star).....ahhhhh, the list is long, but you cannot make a mistake with any of the above!!!

So while I won't be able to be here with a pic or description, I will absolutely be living vicariously through you all -- please don't let me (or yourself) down....grab a GEM this Monday and tell us about your excellent shave!!!
You will be missed, Sir!! Be safe. :a4:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Well Fred I hope to hear from you later and you are a big part of this thread like all who participate and are enjoying shaving. It will be a GEMonday for me! Take care and have some great shaves.

I should have maybe started a new thread but I thought you guys here would appreciate this.
500C11A4-F56F-487B-9D48-634C1C22DFDF.jpeg 94673AF0-457B-4ED7-9509-747E683620FA.jpeg
I’ve never used an SE before. I’m looking forward to giving this one a go once my coated blades arrive from over seas.
I have no idea how old this GEM is. The razor is in excellent working condition and almost looks brand new. The case is in good shape too, but does seem more antique. It has the original money back guarantee, should I not like the shave (69 cents).
My mom recently picked this up for me. She is a retired teacher but works at an antique shop once a week or so in lieu of her booth fee. I actually have her to thanks for starting me down this path when she gave me an excellent condition Fatboy many years ago. Two great finds!

I should have maybe started a new thread but I thought you guys here would appreciate this.
View attachment 999082 View attachment 999083
I’ve never used an SE before. I’m looking forward to giving this one a go once my coated blades arrive from over seas.
I have no idea how old this GEM is. The razor is in excellent working condition and almost looks brand new. The case is in good shape too, but does seem more antique. It has the original money back guarantee, should I not like the shave (69 cents).
My mom recently picked this up for me. She is a retired teacher but works at an antique shop once a week or so in lieu of her booth fee. I actually have her to thanks for starting me down this path when she gave me an excellent condition Fatboy many years ago. Two great finds!

I’m available for adoption.

Flintstone65

Man, you are one lucky son-of-a-great-mom!!! The Micromatic is beautiful (especially love the case)....thanks for sharing, you came to the right place!!!!!

Flintstone65

Thank you, gentleman (@Twelvefret, @Tanuki, and @Ron R) -- this is an awesome thread!!! I should be fully present and accounted for next Micromatic Monday / GEMonday. Until then, I'll enjoy seeing and hearing about your shaves!!!

That is a beautiful razor and case. The case comes in several colors but I don't remember seeing that color before, congratulations. Look forward to hearing how you like the shave.
Have you looked over info on the proper shaving angle for these razors?

We will miss you @Flintstone65

Top Bottom