What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

The look of Jim's LeC in flame got me thinking... I needed one (or two).

Just kidding - in all seriousness I have been looking to fill a few gaps in the sizes I already have. Currently, a 2.5 Qt round, 7 Qt round and 5.75 Qt Oval Staub. I thought the 3.5 Qt and 5.5Qt LeC in "Flame" fit in nicely. In fact, they had 35% off at the LeC store today.

Stoked to try these out! I may even do a side by side comparison with one of the Staubs!

proxy.php

Wow!
You have the steel knobs also!

They look great, I hope to see the results in the Dinner thread!

Wow!
You have the steel knobs also!

They look great, I hope to see the results in the Dinner thread!

For sure... the steel knobs were an extra $6.50 each (after the discount). No Brainer.

I'm going to try venturing into the no-knead breads shortly, so I'll be sure to upload a pic!

And this just in from CKTG!

Really stoked to try a carbon blade... I need to keep this dry and oiled when not in use correct? Does mineral oil work or should I use another type?

EDIT: On further inspection I have to return it :( It was actually the next size larger than what I had ordered. Mark at CKTG was incredible in arranging a return and overall great to deal with. Top notch vendor!

Last edited:

proxy.php

Really stoked to try a carbon blade... I need to keep this dry and oiled when not in use correct? Does mineral oil work or should I use another type?

Nice Takeda! I had the pleasure of meeting the maker last winter at the NYC knife show.

His blades have a heavy lacquer coating, so your only concern will be the edge and the blade road. The super AS steel is terrific. Congratulations!

Mineral oil will work, but it will patina in no time. Can we see a spine and edge shot?

EDIT: On further inspection I have to return it :( It was actually the next size larger than what I had ordered. Mark at CKTG was incredible in arranging a return and overall great to deal with. Top notch vendor!

Either size you will love. I bought a Takeda Nikiri directly from the manufacturer and love it.

Michael

New here, but the last Acquisition was the Kitchen itself!

proxy.php

Normally it is a lot messier though.

Marc

Following my wife's great tradition of purchasing "Us" gifts for me, she presented me with this last week........

proxy.php

proudly announcing that it was my Christmas gift. The small print reads that it was purchased for last Christmas, hidden in the cellar and forgotten until last week when she needed a casserole in this style :biggrin1:

Do you find that the central island kills your work triangle? Is it stationary or movable?

Its not movable (its 8 feet long and way too heavy) but there is a fair bit of room to move around at the end by the stove. It turned out as a bit more of a work V then triangle but I tend to pull most things I need out of the fridge and set up on the island before I start making a mess so it works for me.

SWMBO and I took a knife sharpening class and since she had her eye on it for a while we picked her up a petty. It is VG-10 high carbon stainless laminated with Damascus made by Katsushige Anryu san.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom