What's new

Merkur Vision vs. Vision 2000?

Hello!

After reading some positive comments on the Merkur Vision, I'm thinking it may be fun to try one?

Is there a difference between the Vision and the Vision 2000?

Thank you for your help and comments!

The Vision 2000 is the current model and it provides an excellent shave. Merkur recommends weekly maintenance of soaking the Vision in a 5% solution of distilled vinegar. It is a large razor but you soon get used to its size and weight. Personally, I would not recommend it for a beginning DE shaver.

eric.

Ooo I didn't know about the set screw difference, I did hear they changed the name but kept it mostly the same. Any thoughts on what this set screw did?

The Vision 2000 is the current model and it provides an excellent shave. Personally, I would not recommend it for a beginning DE shaver.

I'm a big fan of the Vision. If it wasn't so expensive, I think it would be an awesome shaver for a beginner. Here's my reasoning.
1) It is blade friendly, It's not choosy when it comes to blades, from derby's to feather's, it delivers consistent results.
2) It isn't choosy when it comes to the proper angle. It has a wide sweet spot. When your new getting the right angle is a difficult part of d/e.
3) I find I grip the Vision in more of a cartridge style, Grip it and rip it. It's so well balanced you can just wrap your hand around it and go at it. All barbarian like.
4) Being heavy I find it easy not to apply too much pressure.

I think the Vision's design would make the transition from cart's to d/e much easier for a beginner, BUT the price really defeats it. I mean who wants to plop down 125+ on the d/e alone when they are new.

I went ahead and ordered one and the price did make me think twice about it. With proper care, if it lasts me my lifetime (I'm 36), and provides good shaves, it'll be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for your comments!

I went ahead and ordered one and the price did make me think twice about it. With proper care, if it lasts me my lifetime (I'm 36), and provides good shaves, it'll be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for your comments!
Truthfully, Knowing what I do now, If I was a newer d/e user and didn't want to be a collector. I would have ordered the Vision and never bothered with other d/e's. If the Vision turns out to not be your cup of tea, it will be an easy razor to re-sell and get your money back.

I too was at first intimadated with reading the "Merkur surgery" web post regarding all the adjustments and basic training style dismantling of all parts and the adjustments associated therein. I own a Vision and know that it was indeed a 2000 model as it is only 6 months old and all paperwork says Vision 2000. This 2000 is without the aforementioned setscrew and is not in any way related to the somewhat cynical "Surgery artical" posted on the forums. Disregard any negative comments on the "screwless" Vision as it is the latest and better of the two. Ted

Be very careful to clean it thoroughly. The threads on the adjustment ring are plastic, not metal, and will seize up pretty easily. I've had two Visions and this happened with both of them. It's my favorite DE of all time, but poorly made and unreliable.

but poorly made and unreliable.

+1.

Mine holds the blade cockeyed, unless I fiddle around with it before tightening the butterfly doors. I need mild (1.25) reading glasses to see close up. If I hadn't had them on while loading it with a blade for the first time, I wouldn't have seen the uneven blade edge exposure...until it was too late.

Looks 21st century cool but it's put together like an 80's Yugo.

There does not seem to be a place to judge high setting versus low setting. There is a logo or some symbol above the adjustment ring but none of the letters on the ring particularly align with it at either extreme of the turn of the ring. Or is there something wrong with my new razor

Last edited:
There does not seem to be a place to judge high setting versus low setting. There is a logo or some symbol above the adjustment ring but none of the letters on the ring particularly align with it at either extreme of the turn of the ring. Or is there something wrong with my new razor
Never had one, but this seems weird.

Could you just look at it and tell?

Never had one, but this seems weird.

Could you just look at it and tell?
Well, if I decided that I like the shave when the "S" lined up with the odd mark, then that would be fine. But the ring rotates more than one cycle. I suppose my Mergress is the same, although there is an index mark. It seems that one end or the other of the V-I-S-I-O-N scale should line up with some indicator mark when the ring is fully rotated.

There's nothing wrong with your razor. I've read that the calibration of the Vision 2000 is inconsistent, maybe even illogical.

On mine the adjustment dial goes from midway between the V and the I in one direction to the same V and the I in the other direction. Yours may be similar, or it may be different. Don't worry about it. Enjoy the razor and the shave.

It's a marvelous razor, though I wouldn't recommend such a sophisticated razor to a novice. It would be like giving a new Porsche to someone who is learning to drive.

Last edited:
Shaved with my newly acquired Vision 2000 this morning:
proxy.php

Cracked right up to N with a new Astra.
Wow! Wow! Wow! What a razor!
I'm assuming this is the 2000 version because there's no set screw below the adjuster ring.

And this is a hobbyist razor for sure.
To me this looks and feels truly amazing, and the shave at top aggression setting is lovely, as good as the Spitfire R41 and Shavecraft Tech, comfortable and irritation free.
For some reason more effective on the troublespots on the jawline under the ears and absolutely irritation free.

This is a revelation to me - I've got one of those Chinese Futur clones coming and wonder how that's going to shape up in comparison.

The Vision 2000 is my new favourite DE!

Top Bottom