What's new

Merkur Vision Adjustment Problem

I posted this in the Newbie Forum (because I'm a newbie), but thought some of you on this forum might be interested.

Hello Gents,

Over the weekend, I posted a comment about how I just ordered a Merkur Vision and when I tried it out, the adjustable alignment was off. That is, the most aggressive setting is in the middle of the V-I-S-I-O-N ring rather than at either end.

Charles at QED was very helpful and followed up with Merkur. I thought some of you might be interested in what they had to say. Here is their message:

John:

This just in from Merkur ....

The VISION lettering on the razor is not meant to be a dial indicator from V to N. The blade gap will only open so far, and it will never open over the entire lettering. The razors are assembled by hand, and none is exactly like the other. The lettering is only to remember the perfect gap width for you personally, so that after taking the razor apart for cleaning, you can readjust the razor again to your ideal setting.
For safety purposes we have changed the assembly slightly, so the blade will not be exposed anymore at the LOWEST setting to prevent injury. Therefore you can "close the razor", even though the blade is installed.

Charles
Q E D

Seems a bit odd to me and you would think they would state that in the instructions. It probably would put an end to frustrations like mine.

I think the best way to approach the Vision is just to accept it the way it is. Warts and all. It provides a great shave, but it does have its oddities. I have not tried to modify mine at all even though I see things in it that would normally bother me. Once you come to grips with its size, it may provide the best shave of all.

eric.

I think the best way to approach the Vision is just to accept it the way it is. Warts and all. It provides a great shave, but it does have its oddities. I have not tried to modify mine at all even though I see things in it that would normally bother me. Once you come to grips with its size, it may provide the best shave of all.

eric.

Thanks for the input. I actually didn't mind the shave when I tried it. I think it is just a bit much for me right now while I'm learning. I plan to put it on the shelf for a few months and come back to it when I have mastered (or at least improved) my technique.

Thanks for the input. I actually didn't mind the shave when I tried it. I think it is just a bit much for me right now while I'm learning. I plan to put it on the shelf for a few months and come back to it when I have mastered (or at least improved) my technique.

I almost gave up on mine when I first tried it. I decided I would shave with nothing else for 1 month and if I still did not like it, I would sell it. I finally got the hang of it in week 3. I did not get one until after I had about 18 months experience with a safety razor. Once you get used to it, it provides a great shave.

eric.

Last edited:
Top Bottom