What's new

MERKUR 38C BARBER POLE BLADE GAP?

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Per chance, does anyone know what the blade gap of the Merkur 38C Barber Pole is?

No guesses or layman, "Kinda like this. Kinda like that. I think its medium aggressive". (Blah blah blah).

An ACTUAL blade gap length.

My Google-Fu is not all that, and I could not find it.

Thanks.

Per chance, does anyone know what the blade gap of the Merkur 38C Barber Pole is?

No guesses or layman, "Kinda like this. Kinda like that. I think its medium aggressive". (Blah blah blah).

An ACTUAL blade gap length.

My Google-Fu is not all that, and I could not find it.

Thanks.

If you believe this (and a couple of other sources..)

it’s 0.64 mm, slightly lower than 0.71 mm for the 34C HD.
Although some argue that the two razors have identical heads, so should have the same gap... 🤷‍♂️

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
If you believe this (and a couple of other sources..)

it’s 0.64 mm, slightly lower than 0.71 mm for the 34C HD.
Although some argue that the two razors have identical heads, so should have the same gap... 🤷‍♂️

Thank you very much!

Making a second razor purchase, and wanted it to be a SMIDGEN more aggressive than my current Merkur 38C Barber Pole.

The new razor will be a .68mm, which should be purrrfect.

Thanks again!

I have had issues with what blade gap charts list for certain razors and what I've measured with a feeler gage on the actual razor in my possession. I've encountered disparities with my Merkur 34C HD and Merkur Progress. The gap in my 34C was much smaller that what is commonly listed, and my Progress was greater.

That wiki chart shows an Edwin Jagger DE89 with a bigger blade gap than my Rockwell 6S at R5 yet I know from hands on experience that the Rockwell is more agressive and will out shave My DE89 at R3.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Well, you guys have raised a couple of very good points.

Like I said at the beginning of this post, my original razor is a Merkur 38C Barber Pole.

I will be purchasing a Carbon Shaving CX 316L.

Will the new Carbon Shaving razor be more aggressive, or not? (.68mm).

I shave both my head and face.

My face has coarse hair growth, and my head has very fine hair.

With a Merkur Barber Pole, I am getting an outstanding, baby-butt smooth, shave.

If I can go a touch more aggressive, then that would be fantastic.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Seriously, that's an awful lot of dough, the Carbon Shaving CX 316L. Maybe some experimentation with other less expensive options first could help.

Looks nice, I hope it works out for you.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Personally...this is just me...I am not too much of a fan for the non-polished, and especially the larger head, of the Rockwell 6S.

I just purchased the Carbon Shaving CX 316L this morning, and am now 96th on the waiting list for a Wolf Whiskers brush. (Looks like his new website is currently under construction).

By reading and watching super many reviews and videos, I'm pretty confident I know what I am getting.

Super excited.

This set will be my primary, which will go in my master bedroom bathroom.

The Murker razor, and Muhle badger brush will be relocated to the office bathroom.

Looking at also purchasing a straight razor for this office restroom down the line. (Sharp-edged metal. What a "Guy thing")!).

Both Blade Gap and Blade Exposure define aggressiveness.

All else being equal, a more positive blade exposure will be more aggressive than a less positive (or more negative) blade exposure.
Likewise, all else being equal, a greater blade gap will be more aggressive than a lesser blade gap.

But the two dimensions work in concert with each other. IF you have a more positive blade exposure, but a lesser blade gap, it is difficult to say whether you will be more or less aggressive (likewise if you have less positive blade exposure but a greater blade gap).

So if you want to get a macroscopic idea of a razor's aggressiveness, you need both. HOWEVER, there are other dimensions which might also come into play, like the angle of the blade with the skin.

Can a razor with a smaller blade gap than another razor still be the more agressive Shaver?
Definitely. If you have bigger exposure, the blade is more rigid etc. Gap isn't everything. Especially if you do not have exposure it won't be an aggressive razor.

Top Bottom