What's new

Merkur 15C

I’ve been reading and listening to good things about this razor. I see that it’s open combed but described as not terribly aggressive. I watched a Geo. Fatboy video on it. He rather likes it... so I’m tempted to get one. I’d basically like to get a new razor. You know how it goes with the RAD. Who here uses and likes this razor? What do you have to say about it?

Not my favorite Merkur. I can't get very confortable shaves from it, maybe the teeth are too thin and pointy. I'm not complaining about the low efficiency because I'm a daily shaver not obsessed by BBS but I favor a fair bunch of mild razors before the 15C. At the same price if you want a Merkur, I suggest the 33C. Or, if you want an open comb, the RazoRock Old Type. Like the 15C is a clone of the Gillette Old Type with thick cap but it is smoother and it has a better handle.

I got the long handled version after finding the 34C not efficient enough for my needs; too much stubble remains after 3 passes. I got similar results with the open comb. Adding a shim greatly improves efficiency for me. I personally prefer the open comb.

For me, the 15c is a bit too mild. The Razorock Old Type is almost the same design, but more effective; also reasonably priced with your choice of stainless steel handles.

Also consider the Razorock SLOC aka Yaqi Mellon. You can find the Yaqi Mellon razor head by itself for around $5, then put in on a standard sized razor handle you already have. It's an excellent mild shaver. I sometimes use it for days I just want a relaxed, mild shave.
slock-1.jpg

I’ve been reading and listening to good things about this razor. I see that it’s open combed but described as not terribly aggressive. I watched a Geo. Fatboy video on it. He rather likes it... so I’m tempted to get one. I’d basically like to get a new razor. You know how it goes with the RAD. Who here uses and likes this razor? What do you have to say about it?
I like the 15C . It's an OC but not aggressive. If you want to stay with Merkur I find the 23C, a CC, more efficient than the 15C or 34C either one without being aggressive. The handle is longer, it's a three piece.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

The Merkur 15C is my first DE razor. I really like it, but since it's my first, I don't really have the experience to compare it to anything. It's not too aggressive, the teeth are flatter and wider than say, the Muhle R41, and the blade exposure is negative. It has the advantages of an open comb, but very mild and suitable for beginners like me.

20210127_102548-01.jpeg

As others already have stated, it's a mild razor (maybe as mild as a pre war Tech). Paired with a sharp blade (and one shim added for some extra blade gap, if you like) it's a nice daily driver though. The teeth are not pointy imo.

The SLOC is an excellent choice, too.

Last edited:
I have both the 15C and a vintage 15. They are fine razors, but as comments above show, on the mild side for the tastes of many B&Bers.

The design is a knock off of the Gillette Old Type, so an OT is a more aggressive/efficient alternative if 'new to me' is acceptable. I do not personally find the RR or Yaqi double open comb to be much more efficient than the 15C.

If a traditional double open comb is on your radar, I find the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements nickel DOC a nicer razor, though slightly more expensive than the RR SLOC.

I am not a fan of the RR SLOC 2.0. In fact, if you want to find out for yourself, I'll PIF you the 2.0 head. Given a few weeks lead time, the USPS should be able to get it from Portland to Corvallis. PM me if interested.

I had a Merkur 1904, which is the same head but with a different handle and it was OK. I found it to be extremely mild and the fit of the head pieces was pretty sloppy. You pretty much had to fiddle with it to get the top cap, blade and base plate to line up correctly.
IMO, it you want a mild open comb, theres better options out there.

Of the many OCs I've owned, it's the only one I still have. And one of 2 razors I own. So two thumbs up from me.

I am a daily shaver and get irritation on my neck. 15c gives me less irritation than techs, slants, 6s, rocket, ect. It is a great little razor and is very hard to cut yourself or get irritation. That said if you think a tech does not get close enough this is similar. JM

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have the same open comb head, two in fact, although they came here on a 41C and 985 rather than the 15C handle. I gave away the handle for the 41C but kept the head. I really like that razor head, and get great shaves with it.

Top Bottom