What's new

Meet the Conrads

Have long been a fan of 1930s non Gillettes,had collected a few with similarities (2 pc,top cap covered the blade ends). When I was researching my Barbasol I found the connection and it was the Conrad Razor blade Co. aka Prybrands Inc.
$good and hall.jpg

The first two are the Good Humor and the Hallmark these were made by Conrad in 1932-1936? Have tapered bakelite handles ,are OCs and a two pc design .Apparently Prybrands (Conrad) made these razors for other companies to market in their stores

$barb and Con.jpg

These two long handled razor are all metal ,believe they are coated brass as they are quite heavy .The one on the right is my mystery razor which took me a year to ID as a Conrad ,lovely shaver mid aggressive but very smooth and I haven't used a blade in it that it didn't like .The one on the left is the Barbasol floating head and is a superb shaver and one of my all time favorites .Both of these beauties are picked frequently for my daily shave .

$conrads.jpg

The razor on the right is a two pc bakelite tapered handle marketed as a Conrad ,it shares a lot of similarities with the Good Humor and the Hallmark. The razor on the left is a Clix and the only 3 pc made by Conrad in my possession ,the top cap on this razor also covers the blade ends .In my research Prybrands produced other brands but I do not own them but would love to see other razors made by Conrad

Glenn

This Conrad patent, application filed 1933, lends considerable creedence to the theory that the Barbasols, floating and non-floating, were also of Conrad manufacture.

Link to full patent, the core of which is the scalloped guard and lather channels.

US2085892A.pdf
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Here's what I have. Clix, Barbasol FH, Conrad. The yellow one is also 2 piece but it has no name or marks of any kind. Any information on it would be great. The Barbasol FH is also one of my all time favorites.

2018-04-16 18.24.27.jpg

Here's what I have. Clix, Barbasol FH, Conrad. The yellow one is also 2 piece but it has no name or marks of any kind. Any information on it would be great. The Barbasol FH is also one of my all time favorites.

View attachment 876340

It's a guess but the yellow handled one looks a lot like my metal headed Schaeffer which I think was made by Conrad .The difference between the Schaeffer and your yellow handle razor is that there are only ten indents on the safety bar (similar to the Barbasol) where as yours has 12 indents and the bottom plate looks like it is not made of metal, the handles look to be similar , the Schaeffer handle is three inches in length .Schaeffer also has a razor that looks like the Segal with the same type of top cap system , so I think Schaeffer probably farmed out the manufacturing of their razors to different companies. This Schaeffer is branded on the top of the top cap.
sch.JPG

Glenn

It's a guess but the yellow handled one looks a lot like my metal headed Schaeffer which I think was made by Conrad .The difference between the Schaeffer and your yellow handle razor is that there are only ten indents on the safety bar (similar to the Barbasol) where as yours has 12 indents and the bottom plate looks like it is not made of metal, the handles look to be similar , the Schaeffer handle is three inches in length .Schaeffer also has a razor that looks like the Segal with the same type of top cap system , so I think Schaeffer probably farmed out the manufacturing of their razors to different companies. This Schaeffer is branded on the top of the top cap.
View attachment 876409

Glenn
Another view of the Schaeffer more clearly showing the similarity.

proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Here's something else to think about. I have a Gerbault razor made in France. I like the handle so I thought I would try it on a German razor with a handle that I don't like. The threads are wrong so I tried a Gillette, Star, Barbasol, Parker, Merkur, Conrad, 7 O'Clock, Clix, Simplex, French Gillette, the yellow one, and a half a dozen no names. It wouldn't fit any of them except the yellow one.

2018-04-17 17.40.49.jpg

While looking for a cap that would fit the Gerbault handle, I noticed this one, the handles and base plates are identical but the caps are different. I don't know what it is either. :crazy:

2018-04-17 18.46.18.jpg

2018-04-17 18.47.44.jpg

Sorry for getting off topic.

I guess I've already voted on the other thread that it's quite possible given the obvious similarities. One point of interest in the Conrad patent is that it specifically references its utility in handling brushless creams (Barbasol), so the safety bar version seems to have been designed with Barbasol in mind. It could be that Conrad used similar design language in producing or testing a combed version as an OEM which got only limited distribution. All speculation of course until somebody finds a box with a name on it.

I guess I've already voted on the other thread that it's quite possible given the obvious similarities. One point of interest in the Conrad patent is that it specifically references its utility in handling brushless creams (Barbasol), so the safety bar version seems to have been designed with Barbasol in mind. It could be that Conrad used similar design language in producing or testing a combed version as an OEM which got only limited distribution. All speculation of course until somebody finds a box with a name on it.

The shave was similar and not unexpected. One pass and you're clean shaven.

One difference in design is how the cap tightens to the base. On the BFH the tip turns to tighten the cap. On the long comb, the entire handle turns.

Great thread thank you everyone! I always wondered who made the Barbasol razors and I think I now know the answer.

There are at least two Barbasol razors with tapering handles that are rarely seen or discussed. I have one and it is a beautiful, well made efficient razor. I've seen pictures of identical razors that don't have the Barbasol name and I've always wondered about that. Here's a picture that Tukyou posted in his album. I have the one on the left. I've never seen the one on the right except for this picture and the others that Tukyou posted. I bet they're Conrads.

489705-bf0053b41387a6175d45d2379243e8bb.jpg

Great thread thank you everyone! I always wondered who made the Barbasol razors and I think I now know the answer.

There are at least two Barbasol razors with tapering handles that are rarely seen or discussed. I have one and it is a beautiful, well made efficient razor. I've seen pictures of identical razors that don't have the Barbasol name and I've always wondered about that. Here's a picture that Tukyou posted in his album. I have the one on the left. I've never seen the one on the right except for this picture and the others that Tukyou posted. I bet they're Conrads.

489705-bf0053b41387a6175d45d2379243e8bb.jpg
I cannot find anything to date about the manufacturer. Those on the right and left are beautiful designs as I enjoy using a tapered handle as in the Krona by Schick. What would have caused them to build such substantial razors?

I cannot find anything to date about the manufacturer. Those on the right and left are beautiful designs as I enjoy using a tapered handle as in the Krona by Schick. What would have caused them to build such substantial razors?

You're right they are substantial. As mentioned, I have one like the one on the left, it is a heavy built-like-a-tank kind of razor. It's a two piece razor with a knob on the bottom. From what I can tell it's chrome plated brass. It has the name Barbasol in raised print on the handle, but I have seen pictures of these razors with no name.

These tapered Barbasols are very rarely seen. Here's some better pictures of it posted by GregDR
proxy.php

Beautiful, substantial and great shavers to boot.

Top Bottom