What's new

Meet the Conrads

You're right they are substantial. As mentioned, I have one like the one on the left, it is a heavy built-like-a-tank kind of razor. It's a two piece razor with a knob on the bottom. From what I can tell it's chrome plated brass. It has the name Barbasol in raised print on the handle, but I have seen pictures of these razors with no name.

These tapered Barbasols are very rarely seen. Here's some better pictures of it posted by GregDR
proxy.php

Beautiful, substantial and great shavers to boot.

I really appreciate the post. Reminds me of a #160 Goodwill. The TTO looks like it has a slot for a standard screwdriver. I'll keep looking for one of the tapered type.

Got a non branded BFH today. The photo shows the only variation I found . Note the non branded one has a different handle/base attachment design.
IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0835.jpg
IMG_0836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fine Marvel cap on the Conrad-Barbasol NFH plate transforms an overly mild shaver into a real winner. Glad I have the extra Marvel cap,, stock cap is going in a drawer.
proxy.php

proxy.php

NOS Barbasol NFH. Box dated January 1934, a few weeks after the November 1933 Conrad patent application.
IMG_20190515_153606-01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Am I reading this correctly, the Barbasol FH and NFH razors were made by Conrad?
That is the consensus. The Barbasol (NFH) patent was filed by Conrad, seemingly designed to meet the needs of Barbasol for a razor that wouldn't clog with their brushless cream, apparently a problem with Gillette and others' open comb heads. The same head was then branded by Cooper, Schaeffer, and others.

The NFH replaced this one in Barbasol's lineup, which apparently suffered from the clogging issues. This one was offered during 1933.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Am I reading this correctly, the Barbasol FH and NFH razors were made by Conrad?

Yes, and they made other razors as well. My photos show both the branded and unbranded BFH, although a close inspection reveals the head design was not the same

The BFH is definitely a razor to acquire. These are heavy razors with a good deal of efficiency.

Last edited:
A tidbit about the BFH, apparently many which we see now were given away to contest winners as a part of Barbasol's radio advertising campaigns. 1937. The $3 razor itself was not a feature of Barbasol's print advertising.
proxy.php
proxy.php

View attachment 611723

These two long handled razor are all metal ,believe they are coated brass as they are quite heavy .The one on the right is my mystery razor which took me a year to ID as a Conrad ,lovely shaver mid aggressive but very smooth and I haven't used a blade in it that it didn't like .The one on the left is the Barbasol floating head and is a superb shaver and one of my all time favorites .Both of these beauties are picked frequently for my daily shave .

Razor on the right seems to match the razor I just acquired branded as a B Altman razor. Case is identical to some seen with the Barbasols. Blades are thin so late 30s.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Top Bottom