What's new

Meerschaum Pipes

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
There isnt a great deal of talk about Meerschaum Pipes here, lets fix that.

I really enjoy a meerschaum. There is somethig satisfying about taking a pristine white pipe, and watching it age and change with each smoke. There is a certain satisfaction with this task. It is also "your pipe" You have colored it with the tobaccos you have picked out.

I have a Pipe by Baki, who sells through Aliexpress now. His work is top notch, but sometimes can be quite expensive and limited on actual pipes.

H. Cor makes a great pipe as well.

I have been eyeing another purchase from Altinay or Tekin

Who do you trust to make your Meers? What are the characteristics of a good maker over a "stay away" maker?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I looked at these and my fear is getting a "Meerschaum like" pipe. I've read enough to know there are solid block pipes out there, but not enough to be able to tell if it is a solid block or a composite, or if that even makes a significant difference.

I do like Meers but I’m not always happy with the mouthpieces. When I started out I was misinformed that Meers won’t ghost and that you basically can smoke any style of tobacco in them after the other.

My oldest is a 2001 CAO Bent paneled Billiard

2192A351-9631-4132-83D2-61B60CBAF98F.jpeg

Then a noname precolored Cheapie Apple? That’s the one with the weird fake Amber mouthpiece.

D0E5A8EC-C7BE-43E5-B92C-51E96F362B43.jpeg

And my new Falcon Block Meer Bowl from CMP

F1ED41CA-756A-47C6-8AE6-1B28BFD8D6B6.jpeg

I have three, not counting a Mahogany Calabash given me by my son. The Calabash has a smallish Meer bowl and is a fine smoker. My first meer was from a "Carve your own" kit my wife gave me back in the late '70's or early '80's. Turns out my carving skills weren't great, so I ended up with a freehand of sorts. The pipe smokes well but is a bit heavy. This is the pipe my son's dog tried to "smoke", resulting in a new stem. My second Meer came in a lot of pipes purchased from a colleague, who obtained them from an old Episcopal Priest friend of his who had to give up his pipes late in life. I know nothing about it except it smokes just fine and has a crack in the shank that causes me to handle it carefully. My third is a Falcon Meer Bulldog shape, thus the MeerDog.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have occasionally been tempted to try a meer Falcon bowl, as meerschaum sitters are typically WAAYYY out of my price range. Even so, the Falcon bowls are pushing the limits of what I'm happy to pay.

The biggest concern for me though, is fragility. I break things all too often, and paying more money for something more fragile, isn't a smart move for me. that said, I did try a couple of pressed mini-meets last year, and they smoked very well indeed. They just didn't sit.

I have an estate one that's pretty new to me. My only issue is the draw is very tight. I actually have to draw it in, the breathe method doesn't work for me. There was a stinger on it, until I realized I have a hacksaw. But that still doesn't help. I'll try it again soon, but I'm afraid this one might be a dog. I'll post a pic or two when I get home.

I have promised myself a commission meerschaum for my 45th birthday in a few years though. I hope to get one carved with Teddy Roosevelt's face. I want to see that big bushy mustache color!

I have occasionally been tempted to try a meer Falcon bowl, as meerschaum sitters are typically WAAYYY out of my price range. Even so, the Falcon bowls are pushing the limits of what I'm happy to pay.

The biggest concern for me though, is fragility. I break things all too often, and paying more money for something more fragile, isn't a smart move for me. that said, I did try a couple of pressed mini-meets last year, and they smoked very well indeed. They just didn't sit.
Most breaks that I saw where at the transition of the shank to bowl or even more likely at the tenon. Both these weak points are moot with a Falcon.

Still I would stay away from Falcon’s own Meer lined bowls as they line their actual briar bowls and the chamber will be reduced by the thickness of the liner. New Block Meer bowls start at about GBP 40.00.

Have 2, and the mouthpieces are cheap compared with the rest of the pipe.
Both fail the pipecleaner test. The plastic bit that goes in between the meershaum and the mouthpiece is the reason.

I used to own one of those eagle claw meers that I picked up from MeerschaumMarket which has a very extensive selection. Beautiful pipe but it was bigger than I really wanted, chamber was expansive too and at the time I didn't have much free time to smoke so I didn't use it much and ended up trading it in. If I was to pick up a meer now I'd either just grab a bowl for my Falcon or try get a small, straight billiard/apple. I do love the look of a well broken in meer.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a few meers. No high-end ones though. A beautiful calabash shaped pipe with heavy lattice engraving broke through the stummel just ahead of the mortise near the bowl junction after several hair line crack developed along the lattice pattern, and I believe this was a result of the lattice engraving process rather than any handling issues. I have a Strombach "Lee Vancleef" like smooth bent pipe that has had no problems. I have an estate Pioneer brand African pre-colored pipe that has been problem free. A couple of other no name pipes have also been satisfactory. I have meer bowls for my Falcon and Kirstin pipes as well.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I looked at these and my fear is getting a "Meerschaum like" pipe. I've read enough to know there are solid block pipes out there, but not enough to be able to tell if it is a solid block or a composite, or if that even makes a significant difference.

Those RC stubby Meers with the silver accent ring and silver bowl cap have been a want for a long time but boy are they pricy. The costs rival an artisan commission so I have been hesitant.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Those RC stubby Meers with the silver accent ring and silver bowl cap have been a want for a long time but boy are they pricy. The costs rival an artisan commission so I have been hesitant.
Link? My Google-Fu is failing me.

Trust? None - They're all somewhat of a crap shoot and dealing with sellers overseas is fraught with its own set of perils. The path of least resistance is an IMP from SP which can be easily returned if mechanically unsound. I have one which is serviceable. For the more adventurous, an Altinok can be rewarding but the risk is more substantial. I had an Altinok author which was my favorite until it met an unfortunate end due to user error. I recently purchased another, a Lee Van Cleef, which checks all the boxes but I haven't smoked. Both were good purchasing experiences. These things having been stated, the two I reach for most these days are an inexpensive no-name which was gifted to me and an MKM which I took a chance on for $110 on their Etsy store before Smoker's Haven picked up the line. Sometimes being lucky is better than being good.

Top Bottom