What's new

Meerschaum Pipes

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Trust? None - They're all somewhat of a crap shoot and dealing with sellers overseas is fraught with its own set of perils. The path of least resistance is an IMP from SP which can be easily returned if mechanically unsound. I have one which is serviceable. For the more adventurous, an Altinok can be rewarding but the risk is more substantial. I had an Altinok author which was my favorite until it met an unfortunate end due to user error. I recently purchased another, a Lee Van Cleef, which checks all the boxes but I haven't smoked. Both were good purchasing experiences. These things having been stated, the two I reach for most these days are an inexpensive no-name which was gifted to me and an MKM which I took a chance on for $110 on their Etsy store before Smoker's Haven picked up the line. Sometimes being lucky is better than being good.
I placed an order with Altinok today. Wish me luck!!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I’ve got three. A small Santa that was originally a Sultan, I re-carved. It is not block meerschaum and I think I payed $20 for it.
Santa.jpg

An old meerschaum that could be a WDC or CPF. It’s unmarked.
WDC.jpg

And an Altinok.
altinok.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Good lord, I did not need to click in this thread. You people are evil, you know that?

*Off on a Meer Google binge looking to spend more money*

I'm hopeless. And you folks are not helping. I suppose it's karma, I've probably done this to others once or twice.

Once or twice, maybe add a zero or two. :001_rolle

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Good lord, I did not need to click in this thread. You people are evil, you know that?

*Off on a Meer Google binge looking to spend more money*

I'm hopeless. And you folks are not helping. I suppose it's karma, I've probably done this to others once or twice.

Once or twice, maybe add a zero or two. :001_rolle

The problem with pipes is after a while you may notice that certain shapes cannot be done on a production scale, and only by an artisan.
Then, certain things are done by some artisans that production pipes don’t. Like deep stem funneling, tapered airways, chamfered stem tenons etc. For some it makes a noticable difference in smoking quality.

If you start to appreciate artisan pipes and you have the income to buy them, you are a goner.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
The problem with pipes is after a while you may notice that certain shapes cannot be done on a production scale, and only by an artisan.
Then, certain things are done by some artisans that production pipes don’t. Like deep stem funneling, tapered airways, chamfered stem tenons etc. For some it makes a noticable difference in smoking quality.

If you start to appreciate artisan pipes and you have the income to buy them, you are a goner.
Glad I'm safe from that!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
As I sit here working on breaking in my Altinay, I am reminded of a big difference between Briar and Meerschaum. I really enjoy how you can actually see your smoking journey in the pipe. You start off with a prisitine white pipe. Each smoke deposits a bit of color. Over and over again it colors. This is a very satisfying aspect of smoking Meerschaum.

Also, with the lack of ghosting, you really dont have to designate it as an English/Vaper/Viriginia pipe. Very versatile.

As I sit here working on breaking in my Altinay, I am reminded of a big difference between Briar and Meerschaum. I really enjoy how you can actually see your smoking journey in the pipe. You start off with a prisitine white pipe. Each smoke deposits a bit of color. Over and over again it colors. This is a very satisfying aspect of smoking Meerschaum.

Also, with the lack of ghosting, you really dont have to designate it as an English/Vaper/Viriginia pipe. Very versatile.
I was warned that Condor and Lakelands even ghost Meers…

As said smokingpipes has them and l have one. A decent pipe but for a bit more l like meershaummarket. You can pay as much as you want to just as others have sais be sure to get one carved from block.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Well I’m going to do some experimenting. There was an old book from the 1800s that described ways to color your meer. It was suggested to take a coin and drill holes. This allowed the heel of the bowl to remain free from cake and absorb whatever moisture might drip down.

I bought a sterling silver washer and placed it at the bottom. We’ll see if there are any increases in coloring. Going to use my Tekin which has only had Latakia blends in it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well I’m going to do some experimenting. There was an old book from the 1800s that described ways to color your meer. It was suggested to take a coin and drill holes. This allowed the heel of the bowl to remain free from cake and absorb whatever moisture might drip down.

I bought a sterling silver washer and placed it at the bottom. We’ll see if there are any increases in coloring. Going to use my Tekin which has only had Latakia blends in it.
I read that folks used to blow their smoke on the meer they were smoking. Not sure if that would help or not.

Have never seen one in person, they look cool. Is their purpose to taste the tobacco only with on other taste from the pipe?

Meershaum can ghost but it doesnt take long to smoke out a ghost. As opposed to briar which can take a retort to exorcise the ghost.

Best way to color it is smoke it. They dont need to rest like briars do. Just smoke the bejeezus out of it. If it gets to where it feels heavier than normal let it dry out for a day or two. Then smoke the heck out of it some more. Some do color faster than others.

Anyone have any experience dealing with pipesdepot? They are eBay sellers and sent me a special offer on a meer. They say its carved from block but trust is a hard thing to come by for us old geezers. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Top Bottom