What's new

Maybe SE isn't for me

Have you tried the Pella blades? Give them a go if you get the chance as there is a difference. Pellas are the already great SS Gem but with the coating on them, making a smoother feeling blade. It is noticeable to me.

Yes, I've bought the Gem SS PTFE blades from Ted Pella and from EMS, these are my everyday blades aside from a Treet when I can get them.
I'm just trying to make the point that they are Gem blades not "Ted Pella" blades as so many like to call them. They are not made by Ted Pella or EMS.

They definitely are a smooth blade for me too!

Your mileage will vary less with a 1912 - basically the ideal razor - plenty aggressive but surprisingly safe and a pleasure to 'drive'.

My first SE was a GEM Contour II. It was as smooth and mild like a Gillette Tech. But you can't just press and yank across your face. Go gentle. My CVS blade rusted. So the procedure now calls for removal and drying the blade.

I was expieriencing the same issue going from a HD Merkur to a 1912 Gem. I had to step back and realize that the tool is very different. I was getting overconfident with the HD and would transfer bad habits to the 1912. Look at the SE with fresh eyes and realize that its a completely different tool. YMMV

The 1924 is my main razor as well. I prefer it over even my 1912 Damaskeene, although it is only by the slimmest of margins. I did not know about the different variations of the 1924. I just figured that they all shaved as well as mine. I have the compact handle model and I didn't realize it was the milder of the bunch. I may have to start buying up some more 1924s so I can do comparison tests between the different variations.

I blame YOU for fueling my RAD.

They are not labeled as such but I believe there are three types as far as shaves go. If you have not noticed any differences, then you probably have not tried all the different types. The 1924 demands that it be used with the correct angle. If you look at the instructions that came with the razor they call for a steeper angle than the flat on your face for later models. It is this angle that is the key to taming the beast. Once you get it down this razor is mild but extremely effective.

Top Bottom