What's new

Maybe SE isn't for me

I used my ER 1924 SE razor again today with the a brand new Gem SS blade and the blood was flowing!! I'm gonna give it a go one more time with the Gem Bluestars, as they have been the best so far, I just don't like the fact that they rust so fast. I really wanna get the hang of it because even though I get a little bloodloss, and use a bunch of styptic, I get a FINE shave from the SE.
Greg

P

Pjotr

That is a really bad one to start with imo.

I agree with that. Don't change the blade becasuse I find the first shave with a GEM SS to require some serious attention regardless of which SE razor it's in. Give it another go for the second shave. When in doubt keep that head flat!

The 24' is my least favorite SE, but your Gem SS blades are one of the best- just shy of the GEM/Pella blades IMO.
Try a heavy flat top, a 1912 variant, or the smooth 1914'. All three have easy learning curves and are consistent performers.
Ferrous single edge blades do not jive with me whatsoever.

Last edited:
The '24 is pretty aggressive to me. I have to agree with others stating the same.
I would rank it just below the MicroMatic OC for aggressiveness.
I'd try a 1912 and see how that goes. The Gem brand SS blade is as good as it gets imho.
Most people here order the Gem brand SS blade from Ted Pella or EMS.
Ted Pella and EMS are resellers of Gem blades (and some other brands as well);
Ted Pella, EMS etc, does not manufacture razor blades.
Sometimes you can find Gem brand SS blades at film/photographic supply shops too.

JR

I have a couple of 1912's enroute, they came in a shaving lot from the bay I bought last weekend to acquire a Khaki Set, that come to find out didn't have the proper razor anyhow...lol...

I find the 1924 Ever Ready even more aggressive than the O/C Micromatic. As already mentioned the 1912 Gem is a much more forgiving razor.:wink2:

It's not the aggression it is the fact that the head is clunky and while being loud, never really gives good tactile feedback of what you're doing to your face like a 1912 junior would. 24 is the only Gem I know of that is miserable to use on the neck also.

OCMM is brilliant bc it is aggressive but the head is the most compact gem head I know of so it also feels nimble. If you could have that head on a gbar handle it would easily be the greatest safety razor ever.

I used my ER 1924 SE razor again today with the a brand new Gem SS blade and the blood was flowing!! I'm gonna give it a go one more time with the Gem Bluestars, as they have been the best so far, I just don't like the fact that they rust so fast. I really wanna get the hang of it because even though I get a little bloodloss, and use a bunch of styptic, I get a FINE shave from the SE.
Greg

I wouldn't call it a fine shave if you're getting cut a lot. The 1924s certainly seem to have more bite than the 1912s, but they aren't bad once you get the hang of them. The 1912s are very user friendly, but it's possible to cut yourself with anything if you get the angle wrong.

I would literally see the Gem Bluestars get rust spots between the beginning of a shave and the end, before there was even a chance to pat them dry. Someone suggested putting a little mineral oil on my palm and hand stropping them to coat the blade before the first use. That got a couple of more shaves out of them.

The Gem brand SS blade is as good as it gets imho.
Most people here order the Gem brand SS blade from Ted Pella or EMS.
Ted Pella and EMS are resellers of Gem blades (and some other brands as well);
Ted Pella, EMS etc, does not manufacture razor blades.
Sometimes you can find Gem brand SS blades at film/photographic supply shops too.
JR

Have you tried the Pella blades? Give them a go if you get the chance as there is a difference. Pellas are the already great SS Gem but with the coating on them, making a smoother feeling blade. It is noticeable to me.

It's not the aggression it is the fact that the head is clunky and while being loud, never really gives good tactile feedback of what you're doing to your face like a 1912 junior would. 24 is the only Gem I know of that is miserable to use on the neck also.

Exactly what I feel about the 24', you hit the nail on the head!

You could try the G-Bar. Easy to use and a great looking razor at the same time. I only used the Gem SS blades from Walgreens and I've yet to have a bad shave with it.

Best razor out there IMHO.

Maybe the title of this post should say: Maybe the ER 1924 is not for me. Writing off SE razors because of bad experiences with one model, well.... As many have said, they are quite a few other SE razors out there. I have a different skin/beard type than most. The ER 1924 is my main razor. I have found the even within that model there seems to be different variants that shave differently. I have one variant that seems like it could peel my skin right off. Maybe that is the one you have. I also make a compact handle model that is much milder. In addition, I have a model, with a thicker coller under the head, that seems to take a much more shallow angle than the other ER 1924 razors.

The great things about SE razors are that they can be had for cheap, and they are still plenty available out there. You should be able to find a model that you like.

The '24 is no razor to begin SE shaving with!:scared: It is a borderline snake, dripping water like venom in use!:ohmy:

The much later G-Bar, Featherweight, and Contour are far more mild (which in the shave world means they are still more effective than weak DE designs), and still offer a different shave experience.

...The ER 1924 is my main razor... [They] also make a compact handle model that is much milder....
The 1924 is my main razor as well. I prefer it over even my 1912 Damaskeene, although it is only by the slimmest of margins. I did not know about the different variations of the 1924. I just figured that they all shaved as well as mine. I have the compact handle model and I didn't realize it was the milder of the bunch. I may have to start buying up some more 1924s so I can do comparison tests between the different variations.

I blame YOU for fueling my RAD. :lol:

Heck, If the razors you have coming in don't cut it for you (or do :) ), don't give up on SE yet. Try a Featherweight. Great SE shave and if anyone has even a small amount of experience it won't bite. It's great with any blade but even more so with a Ted Pella GEM SS.

You can keep your blades from rusting by giving them a few drops of mineral oil before closing the lid on them, and after use wrist flicking the water out of them,then , put a few drops of MO on the exposed blade, and just leave it be. It'll run where it needs to go.

I did this with a drugstore GEM shaving every Saturday with it, and treating it as I wrote. I finally gave up. I think I had 7 shaves on the blade with no rust and it had plenty of time to rust in those 6 weeks. I did it again w/o the MO and it rusted by the next day.

Excuse me not Mineral Oil, it was the wifes Skin so Soft, which I think is a MO base. Anyway, I put some in a dropper bottle- that made it very easy.

Top Bottom