What's new

May have made an uneducated choice

I just ordered a Norton 4k/8k wet stone. I am not necessarily wanting to hone my razor but rather touch it up because it has gotten a bit dull. I thought the 8k side of the Norton would be perfect but after doing some reading on here I have discovered that a stone with 10k-12k would be a much better rout to go. What would you guys recommend that I do?

Even if going down to 8k is needed, most would not be happy with that as a shaving edge. 12K or better if you can.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I think there are several good quality 12K stones available. I have been using Naniwa Super Stones and am very satisfied with the shave quality of my razors coming off the 12K.

Legion

Staff member
I may send back the Norton and try that 12 Naniwa S2 supper stone unless anyone knows a reason I shouldn't
Only if one day you need to hone a razor beyond just a touch up. Then you will need both.

Remember, even new razors usually need to be properly honed when you buy them. If one day you decide to get into fixing up old razors you will need it. A 1k, 4/8K, and the 12k would be able to handle pretty much any honing need you might have.

I may send back the Norton and try that 12 Naniwa S2 supper stone unless anyone knows a reason I shouldn't

Honestly, if you can return that Norton combo there are much better stones to buy. The naniwa 12k others mentioned and you found is pretty common. I had issues with the 10mm thick one warping around on me but I could deal with it and edges were fine. If I using a synth at that stage then I tend to use a 30k gokumyo but it cost far more than it is worth. Great synth but costly.

Instead of Norton, I would also recommend naniwa or shapton in the lower grits like 4 & 8k over Norton.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If sticker shock is holding you back, try 1u lapping film on 3/4" acrylic exactly as recommended in Lapping film, try it. | Badger & Blade . It is a long thread and the technology therein underwent a LOT of development over the course of the thread so you need to read the whole thing. ALL OF YOUR LAPPING FILM QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED IN THERE, and more. If you want to raise the bar even higher, How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop | Badger & Blade. Same thing, read it end to end and do exactly what it says. Skip all the try this and try that BS cause it has already been tried. You can use the balsa progression after the Naniwa 12k or after the 1u lapping film, either one, for a science fiction sharp edge and no big drawn out days or weeks or decades long learning curve. The reason is if you just follow directions perfectly, you don't have to learn anything. Just do. Learn = years. Do = right now done. Learning is more interesting. Doing gives instant gratification. Your choice, whatever blows your skirt up.

there is a Naniwa S2 supper stone in 12k. is that the same thing ?

The 12K Naniwa Super Stone is a good touch up for me. For just touch up, the less expensive 10mm would probably be fine, but the 20mm is probably more stable/less likely to warp. Remember it is a splash and go stone and should not be soaked.

+1 on a pasted balsa strop progression. That has cut way down on my urge to go to the 12k or the lapping film.

is there a difference between the 12k Ninawa professional stone and the 12k supper stone?
I don't believe there is a 12K Pro stone. The 12K Superstone would be a good option, a 12K Shapton would probably be a slightly better option in my opinion. The SG 20K would probably be the best synthetic finisher in my opinion, but you would probably still need a 10K or 12K first unless you touched up really often, as the SG20K is pretty slow.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of synthetic finishes, and would probably suggest going the natural route, especially just for touch ups.

A lot of people here are fans of the Naniwa Superstone 12k. So am I.

The thick 20mm one is better than the thin 10mm. My boy got into the drawer, dropped my 10k and broke it. I am in the midst of replacing it and I'm getting the 20mm thick one this time. Also, the 10mm can warp. The thick one won't.

You can shave just fine, right off the nani 12k.

And the nani 12k makes a great jumping off point to go to pasted balsa if you eventually get into that, for even sharper edges.

What do you get for the mid range progression below the nani 12k? Have a look here:

Naniwa (sharpeningsupplies.com)

You can get a mid range of Nainiwa or Shaptons. Both recommended by many here on the forum. The glass Shaptons are generally seen as good mid range stones. Most folk leave the Shaptons after the mid range and do something else for finishing. The Nani 12k. Or a jnat, if you want to put in some training time and get fancy.

The Norton 4/8 is great for cutlery. Every kitchen should have it. But razors require a bit more. They need to be sharper than 8k. And in addition to sharp, they must create a smooth finish. Smooth is comfortable. An Norton 8k is plenty enough to cut tomatoes, but then tomatoes don't have nerves, so comfort does not matter.

I will almost always suggest trying to make do with what one has, at least initially and within reason.

From the above posting, it seems that the Norton 4/8k is out of fashion these days. It was recommended often in the past on forums, I expect it would work for you.

I have not used films, but am confident that they would work great. The other stones mentioned above, I suspect would work great as well.

I sometimes use various hones, I cannot discern any difference. Perhaps my face is not sensitive enough to notice. Or, maybe stropping is 'where it is at' in my case.

In the name of science, I used what is thought of as a sub par hone for razors. The first couple of shaves were not great, but improved after that (stropping).

I don't believe there is a 12K Pro stone. The 12K Superstone would be a good option, a 12K Shapton would probably be a slightly better option in my opinion. The SG 20K would probably be the best synthetic finisher in my opinion, but you would probably still need a 10K or 12K first unless you touched up really often, as the SG20K is pretty slow.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of synthetic finishes, and would probably suggest going the natural route, especially just for touch ups.

You are right. It only goes to 10k.

Are there any natural stones or Jnats in the price range of a 12k Naniwa?

I very often use a coticule (plain water) as a touch up/finishing stone. Great results. Or...
Spendy but worth it-Zulu Grey. Or...
Arkansas Surgical Black. Tried and true, but takes more effort. Or...
Jonathan Coe Arkansas Grey. Very reasonably priced. Hopelessly exotic. Nice edge.
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_2623_Original.jpg
IMG_2867 3.jpg

Top Bottom