What's new

Martin de Candre

TBoner,
i have the Cella soap, but i find that it irritates my skin a bit. i am not sure what it is, but it could be the tallow, or one of the chlorides, or even the parfum which they do not list what it is.
Cheers

probably the benzaldehyde. that's what most people react to in the italian soft soaps

TBoner,
i would love to try Al's soaps, but i would have to know what is in the soaps. i thought you had to list all ingredients in products. Here in Canada it is required. Sodium and potassium salts of fatty acids are a bit ambiguous to me. i would prefer to know exactly which salts i am putting on my face.
Thanks for your help.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, this morning I finished my first bowl of Martin de Candre that I purchased it on March 2010. It did last me 18 months. I truly did enjoy every single shave with it and do consider this fantastic soap one of my all-time favourite. I will get a new bowl before Christmas and I will never be without.

I'm on my second bowl of MdC. Glass jar first, now wooden bowl. As folk have already pointed out, it is expensive to buy with crazy shipping BUT the "cents per shave" cost is minimal. I have 12 good soaps in my rotation but every other day is MdC.
The lather has an amazing gloss sheen to it. It works for me
Cheers

TBoner,
i would love to try Al's soaps, but i would have to know what is in the soaps. i thought you had to list all ingredients in products. Here in Canada it is required. Sodium and potassium salts of fatty acids are a bit ambiguous to me. i would prefer to know exactly which salts i am putting on my face.
Thanks for your help.

Understood. And you are quite right that you have to list all ingredients. I think, though, that Al actually is listing his ingredients. "Potassium stearate" as often listed on ingredients is another way of saying "potassium salt of stearic acid." If you use tallow and sodium hydroxide, you get sodium tallowate, or "sodium salt of" a bunch of fatty acids - but in order to know which ones, you need to know the chemical breakdown of lauric, stearic, myristic, etc. in tallow. What I'm saying is that it is possible to buy the constituent fatty acids individually rather than buying a bunch of different lipids and trying to get the right percentages of these various fatty acids. So instead of buying tallow and palm oil and coconut oil, you could just saponify the fatty acids. In a sense, you would wind up with a more "pure" product, containing nothing but saponified fatty acids, as opposed to the other molecules present in something like tallow. It should also, theoretically, help with avoiding allergic reactions that one might get with things like lanolin, shea butter, etc. Again, I don't know as Al doesn't say, but I believe this is what he is doing.

I might point out, too, that knowing what is in Cella doesn't prevent it from irritating your skin. Of course, if you have an ethical objection to an ingredient, that's a different question.

Gentlemen, this morning I finished my first bowl of Martin de Candre that I purchased it on March 2010. It did last me 18 months. I truly did enjoy every single shave with it and do consider this fantastic soap one of my all-time favourite. I will get a new bowl before Christmas and I will never be without.
Hi Marco,

May I ask you what size of bowl did you finish?
I suppose that MDC was part of a rotation,,,,yess I m curious about how many shaves +- , and did you use your usual way , heavy loading...
I m wondering to buy the scented one ...

Have a nice evening

Tam

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hi Marco,

May I ask you what size of bowl did you finish?
I suppose that MDC was part of a rotation,,,,yess I m curious about how many shaves +- , and did you use your usual way , heavy loading...
I m wondering to buy the scented one ...

Have a nice evening

Tam

My bowl was the classic 170g glass pot with aluminium lid. I did use it about two/three times per week, always heavily loading my brush (what I actually do with all my soaps). I think you should really try this fantastic shaving soap, Tam.

Received my MdC in the mail today from Barbara @ frenchgardening.com It was packed professionally and took exactly 1 week to arrive in Oregon from Paris (not too bad). The soap smells delightful...to me it has a very clean "soapy" scent with an undertone of lavender. I was also impressed with its presentation in the heavy glass jar and nice box. I cannot wait to shave with it in the morning! I will be sure to post results.

I had my first shave with MdC this morning. All I can say is WOW. This is one of the finest vegetable-based soaps I have used. I would put it in league with Pre de Provence, Provence Sante, LO Cade, and La Toja Manantiales. As far as functionality (latheribility, cushion, and slickness), I rate this soap just behind MWF. This is a very fine product indeed.

Last edited:
OK my first shave with the MdC was a bit disappointing. I got some from Gerry's samples and I was not too impressed. I will give it a chance as I LOVED the scent. The Scent brought me back to the South of France and driving past the lavender fields. Oh the days in Provence how I miss them, no responsibilities wine women, and beaches. Do they have body soaps that match the shaving soap?

OK I tried it again and it was much better this time. I got more product on my brush and wow what a great shave, used my slant, with a fresh Feather (quickly becoming my favorite combo) and had a great Saturday shave (ie I took my time) and enjoyed it very much.

Todd-

So in your opinion is it ahead of or behind MWF?

Max,

In my opinion, MdC ranks just behind MWF. I am normally an advocate for tallow-based soaps, but MdC really challenged my preconceived notions about vegetable-based soap performance. Comparing these two soaps is difficult because they are fundamentally different and each is superior in respect to its peers (like comparing a 1965 Shelby Cobra to a 2011 Ferrari 599 GTO). If it helps, here is a breakdown of my thought process in comparing MdC to MWF.

Price Point: Clear winner is MWF
Presentation: Draw
Scent: Draw
Lather: Edge MdC
Cushion: Draw
Blade Glide/Slickness: Edge MWF
Moisturizing: Edge MWF

Last edited:
dang i hear lots about this! Darn you for making me want to buy it... Anybody know the cheapest site?

Money is not an issue here. Even if you order straight from France with no discount. I have a jar of this and would pay $200 for a replacement, if that were the only option. As for it being below MWF, I challenge the poster above to a lather picture. Not a chance in hell--sorry fans of poofy.

I have to say, if MWF is better than MdC I will eat my hat. Luckily I don't have any hats, but you know what I mean.Hmm... It's quite cheap, I might be able to get away with buying some...

Last edited:
Top Bottom