What's new

Martin de Candre - maiden voyage

Hmm. A member here was kind enough to PIF me a sample. I used it this morning.
No scent at all. NADA.

And the lather was too thin. That, however, was my fault for not shaking out the Shavemac a second time. Nice shave even with the thin lather.

However, the fragrance of the cream or soap is a large part of the shaving experience for me. Since MdC is zippo in the scent department, I'll move on.
It was nice to have a try at it.

Any chance it was the unscented version of the soap? Was it sealed In. plastic? Hot temps in shipping could also leach out a lot of scent, especially if they are natural essential oils.

Last edited:
Hmm. A member here was kind enough to PIF me a sample. I used it this morning.
No scent at all. NADA.

And the lather was too thin. That, however, was my fault for not shaking out the Shavemac a second time. Nice shave even with the thin lather.

However, the fragrance of the cream or soap is a large part of the shaving experience for me. Since MdC is zippo in the scent department, I'll move on.
It was nice to have a try at it.

This is weird. Of course, as always YMMV. But MdC definitely has a unique and rather strong fragrance - so I can only assume that a) for some reason you got the unscented version or b) shipping did soething to your sample. Definitely no reason to abandon a fantastic soap for good - I'd simply try to get another sample in the future.

Any chance it was the unscented version of the soap? Was it sealed In. plastic? Hot temps in shipping could also leach out a lot of scent, especially if they are natural essential oils.

This is weird. Of course, as always YMMV. But MdC definitely has a unique and rather strong fragrance - so I can only assume that a) for some reason you got the unscented version or b) shipping did soething to your sample. Definitely no reason to abandon a fantastic soap for good - I'd simply try to get another sample in the future.

Gents-

Thanks. I didn't even know that an unscented version existed. If that is so, that must be what I have. And, since it was a PIF (of a PIF), I have no way of knowing what may have happened in shipping.

So, I'll try it again. This time I'll expect it to be unscented. And, I'll manage the water in the brush more carefully.

And, to provide an alternative, I've got a tub of Acca Kappa 1869 on the way.

Top Bottom