What's new

Martin de Candre (MdC) Range - Add your thoughts here

The plastic jar is thick and sturdy, I like it, light weight and won’t smash anything.

Vetiver is a sharp fougère. If there is vetiver in there it’s buried deep inside lavenders and lemons.

Original is a bit medicinal, I like. Agrumes is sharp candy Life Savers citrus. Rose and Fougère are nice but a little bland.

I started with Fougere and with my wife's occasional help might even finish it next year. Last Spring I bought Argumes and rose. All very nice soap but I haven't used them much lately as other brands are wowing me. But I'm aiming to start the shave of the week club and intend to learn more about how to maximize the pleasure of this soap by using it daily for a week.

I'm using this soap every day now. I cover the soap with a very thin layer of water and use a soaked brush squeezed dry. This soaks up the water as latgeringsmezr s I load. Prob load a bit jore than some but wha5 a luxurious lather. 2 passes face lathering. . I smear the lef5 over lather over face and rinse. Sk8n feels fab.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Thinking of getting my first MdC. Can anyone compare MdC to SV? SV is my first hard soap, I chose the Desert Vetiver and I really like it.
They are my two favorite soaps. SV is a bit smoother (words fail here) and a slightly better post shave feel (although not an issue for me as I use moisturizer). MdC has more of a pure soap ingredient list, if that's something you care about.

In use the SV is three times as expensive for me, but I purchase MdC in pairs to help lower shipping per unit. Still, SV is a lovely soap and I will continue to buy it occasionally.

I started with the Original and that was all I had for years. Within the last year or so, I have picked up the Agrumes, Fougere, and Rose in that order. Absolutely great soaps even without being tallow based. I measure all other vegan soaps against the MdC standard.

marty

I like both for different reasons. For me, SV lathers a bit denser and slicker. Post shave feel is great, and I love the scents. MdC lathers great, but I find it not as slick, and a bit dryer post-shave. Perhaps I do not have the lather optimized for MdC. Anyways, MdC does feel really clean post-shave, in the sense that everything washes away, and I don't feel any residue left behind. Both have permanent spots in my rotation.
I actually find mdc to be the slickest soap I've ever used. But I load light and hydrate alot with mdc. I've used every modern American artisan soap more or less and after using mdc almost exclusively for a month some of those denser and fattier soaps just feel like they get in the way of the shave. I prefer simple soaps because they dont "obscure" the feeling of the blade. With soaps like barrister and mann i literally cannot feel what the blade is doing and so I often make minute mistakes that result in irritation I wouldn't have otherwise gotten. My three favorite bases are the MDC soap, Moon soaps, and finally Noble otter. I find noble otter is one artisan soap that hits the money like crazy. They didn't sacrifice the more "soapy" attributes of their soap like some others did.

Been using my tub of MDC Fougere for a couple weeks. The performance is good enough and i'd be perfectly content using it every day- i was expecting it to be higher structure than it is. IMO it isn't as good as some of the other well known artisan soaps but i can see why someone would want to settle on MDC. A few points i can make:

- Ease of brush loading- loads unlike any other soap i've tried. There is something different about loading MDC. The product loads onto the brush like its made of air and it's almost satisfying. Other soaps you have to really work the brush into the tub, but MDC i can gently touch the tips of the brush and the product comes right off and quickly.

- The jar feels sturdy and high quality. I like it's simplicity.

- Low to mid strength, the scent is very natural smelling and appealing and something I'll never grow tired of. The scent doesn't blow me away, but it's very good and easy to get along with every day.

- Its a hard soap and even after 8-10 shaves it looks like I've never used it. The soap looks like it will out-live me.

- not much post shave feel.

Nice stuff...might try Original and Agrumes at some point in the future.

- Low to mid strength, the scent is very natural smelling and appealing and something I'll never grow tired of. The scent doesn't blow me away, but it's very good and easy to get along with every day.
While I do wish the scent is stronger I don’t feel like it’s a deal breaker at the level it’s at.

The original and fougere are both great scents. I would recommend trying the original eventually. I haven’t tried the agrumes yet but from what others have said it seems like a really good option

Using mdc every day, and shaves are super smooth after 2 passes, not even a touch up. . No other soap or cream does this. .

I like both for different reasons. For me, SV lathers a bit denser and slicker. Post shave feel is great, and I love the scents. MdC lathers great, but I find it not as slick, and a bit dryer post-shave. Perhaps I do not have the lather optimized for MdC. Anyways, MdC does feel really clean post-shave, in the sense that everything washes away, and I don't feel any residue left behind. Both have permanent spots in my rotation.
I agree with everything stated here. SV seems to be slicker and more moisturizing to me. I've used Agrumes, fougere, and rose for MDC. Agrumes is my favorite out of those three. Colonia is my favorite from SV. I haven't tried a lot of their newer fragrances, but I've also used and liked Stella, Tundra, and the 70th Anniversary.

I agree with everything stated here. SV seems to be slicker and more moisturizing to me. I've used Agrumes, fougere, and rose for MDC. Agrumes is my favorite out of those three. Colonia is my favorite from SV. I haven't tried a lot of their newer fragrances, but I've also used and liked Stella, Tundra, and the 70th Anniversary.
Fougere is my favorite MdC, and for SV, Morado, Felce. Opuntia, 70th, in that order....really cannot go wrong with any of their soaps.

Top Bottom