What's new

Maria Arman's different soaps, and face burn.

I, like some others, experienced face burn with the soaps sold under the Maggard's Razors brand. That was a real shame because I liked many of the scents and they lathered very well. Maria Arman who makes them also makes soaps for the company The Blades Grim, as well as her own brand Through the Fire Fine Craft. Both these soap lines has soaps that I find really interesting and want to buy, however I'm cautious because of the face burn I felt from the various Maggard's soaps that I tried. So I'm wondering if anyone that also experienced face burn from the Maggard's line of soaps has tried any of her other soaps and can tell me if they felt the face burn from them too or if they're safe to buy?

I used London barbershop without issues and am working my way thru a sample soap pack from her direct. So far have used the extinguish and spring fern scents without issues. For me at least all work great without any burn. As with most items what works for one may not work for another.

I understand that Maggard's forgers lit some folks up.

I have personally never had any issues with Face burning until the fourth or fifth use of Maggard's Chai Tea. I set it aside for awhile and have since used it perhaps four more times since then.

Both soaps are no longer offered.

The Maggard's Chai Tea gave me a little irritation and some redness on my lower neck which cleared up within an hour. I think it's the cinnamon oil that causes this. One member mentioned another brand of soap (I forget which) that had cinnamon oil which caused the same issue.

Shaved yesterday with Through the Fire Fine Craft Extinguish. Fine soap with no issues whatsoever. However I used 3 different Maggard soaps with issues too. You can get samples from TTFC here: http://ttffcraft.com/sample-shaving-soap-pack.html
You can also choose the scents you want by specifying with your order. That is what I did.

I had emailed Marie asking about fragrance in her soaps as I believe that fragrance oil has become the source of some real allergic reactions to a some well regarded soaps. She was very helpful and sent me a generous sample of her unscented soap. It is an excellent performer. It's one of those soaps for which, "explodes into lather" really applies and I can say that the unscented sample has been great for me.

You can also order samples of TTFFC on Maggard's website. I would always order a sample ofa soap before dishing out on the full tub just to make sure you have no averse effects from the product itself.

If you want to sample TTFF soaps, get the sample pack direct from Maria. You can choose one of two packs with six in each and at least for me, I shave every other day, each sample lasts almost a month. Great soap and a great value.

Thanks for all the replies people!

The Maggard's Chai Tea gave me a little irritation and some redness on my lower neck which cleared up within an hour. I think it's the cinnamon oil that causes this. One member mentioned another brand of soap (I forget which) that had cinnamon oil which caused the same issue.
The Chai Tea burned my face so much that I had to wipe it off pretty much as soon as I had applied it and whip up some Proraso Blue to soothe my skin, my face and neck was red for the rest of the day... The other Maggard soaps had far less burn, but it was still enough to put me off from buying the full pucks even though they were great in every other way.
Shaved yesterday with Through the Fire Fine Craft Extinguish. Fine soap with no issues whatsoever. However I used 3 different Maggard soaps with issues too. You can get samples from TTFC here: http://ttffcraft.com/sample-shaving-soap-pack.html
You can also choose the scents you want by specifying with your order. That is what I did.
Are you saying you had issues with the Maggard soaps or not?

I watched a video with Christopher Bailey earlier today where he talked about two TtFFC soaps and mentioned that unlike some soaps from Maggard's, they did not give him any discomfort. That's enough for me to order one or two samplers (I didn't know they were offered...), I really want the Extinguish...

Maria is very nice and helpful person. I exchange with her many emails and her products are one of the best I ever tried.
Scents are complex. She always gives a "little extra" and that promotes her even more. The other artisan soaps gave you burn face also?
Maybe this will help you find what cost that reaction.

Maria is very nice and helpful person. I exchange with her many emails and her products are one of the best I ever tried.
Scents are complex. She always gives a "little extra" and that promotes her even more. The other artisan soaps gave you burn face also?
Maybe this will help you find what cost that reaction.
I recently shaved with Dragon's Blood from Reef Point Soaps, and that also gave me a slight face burn. I guess I'm sensitive to the clove in it, just like I'm sensitive to the cinnamon in Maggard's Chai Tea. Other than that I've never experience irritation or face burn from any soaps, and I've tried around 50 of them (almost all of them artisan). Reading the ingredient list on the Maggard soaps and comparing it to other soaps I have I tried to deduce what caused the burn, but without success, I saw nothing out of the ordinary.

I just shaved with the TtFFC Extinguish soap and that lit my face up so bad that I decided to quit the shave after two passes instead of doing my usual three plus touch ups. The scent was amazing though which makes it all the more frustrating. Raspberry and menthol, awesome! I paired it with Stirling's Black Ice witch hazel and aloe, the combination of raspberries and anise is on another level and brings back fond memories. But this pairing made my face go completely numb after the initial fire that broke out everywhere the Black Ice had touched.

Amazing scent on the Extinguish (and the Quench which I also have a sample of), but the face burn is sadly too much for me.

I used a sample of Maggard's London Barbershop and my face was on fire!!

I used to think it was due to FO's but came to learn that it actually depends on the soap makers skill.

I've used many soaps with FO's and there is no hint of any burning or irritation. I don't know if it's FO's or perhaps the soap formula itself.

I also had problems with the Maggard's London Barbershop shave cream. My face would burn when the soap was applied. I was very disappointed because I bought a tub of it. I tried to move the soap to body wash use, but I couldn't tolerate it. I called Maggard's for help and they didn't offer anything. I'm am through with untested artisan soaps.
MM879

I also had problems with the Maggard's London Barbershop shave cream. My face would burn when the soap was applied. I was very disappointed because I bought a tub of it. I tried to move the soap to body wash use, but I couldn't tolerate it. I called Maggard's for help and they didn't offer anything. I'm am through with untested artisan soaps.
MM879

Whilst I have many soaps (it's an addiction!), and enjoy this hobby so very much, but the entire notion of these products being natural etc but in reality, I have bad reactions to about 20% of artisan soaps I've used!

The commercial hard milled soaps run a much better rate of about 5%...and generally weaker reactions.

I generally don't buy tubs without samples first, unless it's a very good deal on the bst.

I learned a little from this experience:
1. Don't buy artisan soaps.
2. Don't buy shaving creams that have the same scent in bath bar soap. Probably the same formula?
3. Don't but an artisan shaving cream with a complex scent. A higher percent of the volume is fragrance.
MM879

2. Don't buy shaving creams that have the same scent in bath bar soap. Probably the same formula?
3. Don't but an artisan shaving cream with a complex scent. A higher percent of the volume is fragrance.
MM879

Don't really agree with any of these, but whatever works for you.

MM879
Out of curiosity if you had a reaction to a non artisan soap would you stop buying shaving soaps?

I find most commercial shaving soaps to have way too much scent in them, and the highly scented artisan ones I will skip, thank you. One of the things I like the most about Williams is that I only get a tiny whiff of lemon when I use it, nothing much during the shave and certainly nothing at all after rinsing. That's my idea of a good soap scent.....

The modern tendency, I think, is to grossly over-scent things, at least to my nose, and many scent compounds can irritate or cause allergic reactions in some people. The more strongly scented a soap is, the more fragrance compounds it contains, and even if the maker is following the IFRA guidelines for preventing irritation, some folk are going to be more sensitive than the majority.

I suspect any artisan soap maker would be happy to make you some soap with minimal or no fragrance, and probably already has some around. Not everyone wants strong scents in soap, and customers are customers after all! No need to pass up a perfectly good shaving soap because the fragrances make your face burn.

Top Bottom