What's new

Mama Bear's Iceburg soap

I recently received some Mama Bear's Iceburg soap.

Since I have only used 2 other soaps ( Mama Bear's Rosemary Mint and L'Occitane Cade ) I do not have a ton to compare it to.

First the scent is not exactly what I had expected. It has a very powdery scent with just a hint of pine/fir in it. I am not much for powdery scents but I do like this.

One nice surprise was it had a nice cooling effect on my face even though it did not have any menthol added to it. It was not a as strong as the Rosemary Mint. Though this may have been some residue from the Rosemary Mint in the brush. I will update after a few more shaves with it to see if the cooling feeling is still there.

It lathered just as nicely as my Rosemary Mint and I am sure all other Mama Bear Soaps. I have attached a couple pictures.. unfortunately I didn't take any lather pics.

Last edited:
Powdery as in feminine/baby. I probably wouldn't care for that much either.

Mamas soaps definitely have some intriguing names. The name gives me the impression of fresh, clean, cool. I want to try em all, got some on the way to try out.

Last edited:
Powdery as in feminine/baby. I probably wouldn't care for that much either.

Mamas soaps definitely have some intriguing names. The name gives me the impression of fresh, clean, cool. I want to try em all, got some on the way to try out.

I am not really sure how to describe the "Powdery" scent. Mama bear said it reminds her of fresh fallen snow in the UP. It more of a clean powdery scent than a flowery powdery scent.

Well follow up.. have had 2 more shaves with this soap and I still get a slight cooling effect from it. Mama Bear said she did not think it would do that but it may be something in the fragrance itself.

The Iceburg Ice is in!

Let the testing fun begin :001_smile

Scentwise it is hard to describe - maybe a powdery avalance on a green slope?
I cannot wait to compare this with the Grapefruit Ice and Proraso!

Hmm, I have to order some of this. Is the super cooling menthol version still available?

I wonder if this compares to the Barbasol "Brisk" AS. It's really cooling and after my wife pointed it out I agree it does have powdery base-note.

The Iceburg Ice is in!

Let the testing fun begin :001_smile

Scentwise it is hard to describe - maybe a powdery avalance on a green slope?
I cannot wait to compare this with the Grapefruit Ice and Proraso!

So how is the Iceburg Ice? I am still getting a cooling effect from the standard Iceburg.. I can only imagine what it must be like with the Iceburg ICE. Will be taking it on my trip to Mesa, Az next week and if there is anyone who is wanting to try it around the area PM me and I may be able to leave it there as a drop off PIF so others can give it a go.

I tried it now regularly and I am happy to report is is a great soap.

Posted a review here: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/s...=mama-bear-27s-iceberg-ice-mentholated&cat=40

Quote:

Almost under the radar as the introduction of the fabulous B&B limited Oakmoss & Lavender soap got the most air time, Mama Bear brought out the Iceberg soaps (formerly labelled as Iceburg).

I got the regular unmentholated version as well as the mentholated which I got for a test drive. This review is for the mentholated one, as I think that one is the most special.

Price. Excellent value for the money as with all Mama Bear soaps. Not the cheapest soap on the block, and most certainly not the most expensive.

Quality. A very well balanced glycerin based soap with good consistency, nice scent, well packed and labelled. What's not to like?

Scent. A nice cologne fragrance. It is a fresh scent, with small sweet, citrus and powder notes. A touch of peppermint also. Scent is a very personal thing. I like it, but I won't put this soap in the ranks of Ye Olde Barbershoppe, Chypre Rose or Oakmoss & Lavender.

Lather. Just looking at it makes lather. Either with a boar or a badger this soap produces ample lather, which is protective, slick, stable.

Efficacy. Solid performer. The menthol is a true addition to this soap and makes it stand out from the crowd. On Facebook, Sue mentioned she went back to supermentholating and it works wonders. A very nice, cooling kick that adds to the shave without being obtrusive. Nothing to freeze your face off, but an effective use of menthol. Very nice for the hot summer days.

Moisturizing. I don not expect my soaps to be moisturizing but as with all Mama Bear this Iceburg Ice also does not dry out your skin. Glycerin soaps in general might be a bit 'drier' than lanolin or tallow soaps, but then again glycerin provides a nice slick lather - and this soap certainly is nice. It's very good and leaves you with a nice, clean well groomed feeling.

Top Bottom