What's new

Making a DE and/or SE Travel Shaving Kit

Thanks all. I was starting to seriously overthink this. Was at the point of wondering if I could make a case similar to the Gillette Officer's Kit, circa WWI, when I realized I didn't even know if I'd like using a shaving stick.

I've scaled back my plans. Right now I'm thinking of a razor case, one that holds razor and blades, and keeping the canned foam for the short term. Meanwhile, I want to try Arko to see if I like shaving sticks, and probably an Omega synthetic brush. My go-to brush is a Fine synthetic, and I was pleasantly surprised at the bristles on my father's nylon brush, so it will be interesting to try.

For a razor case, I'm thinking of rigid plastic, one that will support and protect the razor. Saw one for long handled Merkurs, but I'm really thinking about something along the lines of a Weishi 9306 because of the cheap case/razor combo.

Hmm ... wonder how they made those WWI razor cases.

I am assuming you will not be flying.... nothing will work as even a shave stick will be taken.

I have 2 travel kits.

One simple and small (could fit in your pocket) That one uses Vodka as the aftershave (easy to find 2 oz bottles of Vodka anywhere)

proxy.php

The second one is my "I love shaving" kit. No holds barred with this one.

proxy.php

I like this thread.
You can easily put a Tech in a typical pill bottle
A brush in a slightly larger/taller bottle
I have a lot of backpacking gear that I use in my dopp bag.
PDP No. 63 shave cream doesn't require a brush
A 1/4oz - 1oz container can be filled with the cream of your choice
Old ToOBS tub is a great for a travel mug
I use HumanGear Containers for a number of things. The Round ones(GoTubb) for soaps and a puck(both re-sized) and GoTobb for shampoo and/or body wash
Sea to Summit makes a cool bowl I have thought about buying with my REI dividend.

This can all fit in a carry-on except for a tuck.

Hi there, I like things small and efficient for sure. Here is my kit:

Maggards 22mm synthetic knot (dries quickly), homemade handle and tube
Maggard MRT travel handle (has a lot of weight to it for good shaves)
Razorock German 37 head
Proraso Green Pre Shave, cream and aftershave (for hot climates)
Cella travel stick and Clubman Vanilla
Personna Reds with blade disposal clip

Both soaps lather well if water is hard. The aftershave containers are tiny glass Tabasco bottles from a breakfast place. I have not seen them anywhere else! I made my wife go back a second day so I could get two for a friend as well. Small white containers are from industrial plastics, they have a great selection of stuff for travel, and all really cheap. They are throughout Western Canada.

Attachments

• travel kit.jpg
    travel kit.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 302
Someone posted earlier about drying brushes when traveling.

My synthetic's travel tube has 2 holes drilled in the cap. If I have to leave asap, towel dry the brush and pop it in. It's always good to go the next time. JM

What sort of travel?

I use a toilet bag I was given years ago on most trips. Using a face cloth or two and perhaps some tissue paper as padding I can pack it light, or more often stuff it with a safety, straight, brush, cream, soap stick, blades, aftershave, alum, hand soap, small sharpening stone, knife, vape gear, ejuice and other assorted novelties.

A bag, a rag and an assortment of shaving stuff you already own might work.

Tabac shave stick comes on its own tub, and if you finish it you can just buy the refill to use the same tub, any sinthetic brush as they dry fast, alum block or steptic pencil for nicks, and your favorite razor on a pouch, for any DE razor a found the parker leather pouch to be perfect, and aftershave of your like as long as is not a big container, I loved the idea of using empty tabasco sauce bottles for AS! although I would like to ask for those who fly, do you have to put you DE razor or shavettes in the checked bag even if they have no blades in them? Cause I dont mind loosing a pack of blades in the case of my luggage being misplaced or lost but a razor is quit different, specially cause I like to take my nice razors, just to show them off!

Razors are a tough call. I usually pull a toothbrush and pit stick and stow the dopp kit in the checked luggage.

It all depends on how you are travelling, car-take whatever you want, checking luggage take anything you want, carry on no DE/SE razor blades. I have 3 set up travel kits, one for hotel travel-Wolfman Guerilla, Simpsons Chubby synthetic in travel tube, AS in 15ml bottle, soap-a stick in a turn up tube/or a smaller metal tin ie WSP soap. two for field travel when I can't shower routinely but still shave daily, Some good hydrating face wash, Phoenix DOC-a mild razor little concern from irritation or cuts, a Razorock synthetic brush, a pill bottle with holes drilled in it free from my local pharmacy, I asked the pharmacist if I could buy one and he just gave it to me, an alum block. Soap shave stick or tinned soap. Third my carry on kit a trac II handle and 5 blades (10 carts $20 at any pharmacy/Wal-Mart) but they can be carried on. an Edwin Jager collapsible travel brush due to it's size, a Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Trial size soap container with whatever I put in it and one of their travel sized AS containers. My hotel kit fits in a large Range leather dopp kit with tooth brush comb etc. My field kit fits in a hanging nylon dopp kit with all other accessories, and my carry on kit fits in a small Range leather Dopp kit. But if you want to do it cheaply I could suggest a Gillette tech, or one of the Gillete Tech clones like the Lord 3 piece for $10. any of the $10-15 synthetic brushes. Any stick you want and put it in a travel turn stick I think they are about $2 to buy an empty one.

Here's what I use for travel.

1. A large leather Dopp bag from Tallow & Steel. This bag is excellent though you could certainly choose something else.
2. An ATT Kronos razor with M and R plates broken down and stored in a medicine bottle. The plate and cap is wrapped together in one napkin and the second plate in another. Everything fits into the medicine bottle (even the handle) and there's still room for a pack of blades.
3. A Paladin Falstaff brush stored in a larger medicine bottle with some holes drilled into it. The bottles were free from the local drug store when I asked nicely to purchase some from them. Just start with a smaller drill bit and work your way up if you want to drill some larger holes into the bottle as it'll crack if you start out with a larger bit.
4. Around six screw top IGo .75 ounce sample containers that are filled with various soaps. One is Le Pere Lucien and another Martin de Candre as these two will lather in just about any water. The others are whatever I happen to be enjoying at the time. The containers are two for 99 cents.
5. A plastic Salsa bowl from the dollar store to soak my brush in and lather the soaps in as well.
6. A pack of Feather blades that get removed and go into my checked luggage when traveling by plane. If I'm not checking luggage I'll mail some blades to where I'm staying.
7. A small bottle of Neutrogena After Shave Lotion. This one has a sun block in it so it doubles as a sun screen. A very mild scent that doesn't interfere with a cologne. Very good stuff for the six dollars it runs me at the local Walmart.
8. A few colognes that I've moved to some very small refillable spray glass bottles.
9. Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss.
10. Any medicines that I might need. Including some cold medicine, Benedril and Zantac just in case.
11. A few band aids
12. A small pair of nail clippers.
13. Deodorant - usually Arm & Hammer Fresh Defense

The Dopp bag always goes in my carry on as I enjoy using some nicer items while I'm on vacation but I don't want to lose them.

Things that I like about this setup.

I like using some nicer items when on vacation. I'm relaxed and want a really nice enjoyable shave so this setup brings me some joy while I'm traveling.

The medicine bottles were free and work great. They don't take up any more space than they need to. I've wanted a nice leather case for my razor but that would make it look like a razor when TSA scans it, which might prompt them to have me show them that there's no blade in it, and it would also take up more space. What I'm using now works great.

The Dollar Store salsa bowl works great for lathering soaps. It's super light, which is nice and they're like two for a buck so hard to go wrong there.

The soap in the screw top containers allows me to bring several soaps so that I can have some variety. Some soaps do better in harder water conditions so I can also move to something else if my favorite soaps are making me work too hard.

You certainly don't have to bring as pricey of a razor and brush as I do but the medicine bottles, screw top containers, cologne bottles and salsa bowl work really nice and weren't pricey at all. At the local Walmart, where you get the screw top containers for the soaps, they also sell some IGo TSA approved three ounce plastic spray bottles (for like 99 cents) that can be used for aftershave splashes. They have some flip top ones that you can use for lotions, shampoo, etc as well. I've used these for balms as well and have traveled with them. I really like the spray top ones for splashes and use them at home. I don't bring splashes when I travel as I use a balm about 90% of the time.

Here’s my carefully selected travel setup (unless by air/carry-on, then I bring a Fusion:001_07:):

1957 Tech base plate on older Tech thin handle - in original bakelite case
Edwin Jagger travel best badger in cannister
Small tub of my selected cream (currently Musgo Real or Speick)
Small generic glass container of Proraso Green splash

I love this modest setup - and am absolutely smitten with that bakelite case :001_tt1:
Simple, cheap, original, efficient and a guaranteed perfect shave!

799E149A-EDB2-4D83-8D5B-5E8262AAC429.jpeg

Last edited:
Like the OP I too was concerned about my brush drying when shaving every day on the road. And your mention of wanting to use your EJ DE89 hit home as well as that is what I take when I travel (on the road). I made a “case” for the razor and bought a tube for the brush. And I like to bowl lather so this one is insulated yet very light and comes with a lid so stuff can go in it. I stick with creams on the road, usually small tubes of TOBS.

ACCF6842-2460-45E8-AD3C-C5C5A23313DF.jpeg
BC9600C0-B94A-4B1A-A7D2-AA89777CEC3A.jpeg
1322F0C5-59EC-4DBE-AC57-C0981A34947A.jpeg
17108403-EDAB-45CE-B51D-2C1E53EFC39F.jpeg

I use a Altoids tin for my 3 piece razor and PVC Joint with caps for my Brush and I face lather on the road. I carry Ivy Club Spice in it's factory plastic bottle But I not flew any where since 911 so my bag is a Sears Craftsman Small Tool Bag cause I carry 5 prescriptions and several OC meds when I travel.

Film canisters are the right diameter for a 28-mm stick: Palmolive, Speick, etc. They also great with Cella, or grated hard soaps. I use these a lot eith Cella, as it is great in hard water.
  • Find an empty film canister.
  • Cut a finger-size hole in the bottom of the canister.
  • Drop a quarter or similar-sized coin in the bottom.
  • Pack soap into the canister.

Push up the soap from the bottom, using the quarter as a base.

I also have a few 1/4 oz glass Tabasco bottles that are perfect for 3-4 days of aftershave each.

A couple great ideas there. I don't have film canisters anymore, but I do buy from time to time some Cirkulin garlic pearls, and they come in a very nice canister, much more resembling a film one, but this one is a tad larger. I used it initially to store blades, but I'll do a travel soap dispenser right away.

Thanks!

HThe aftershave containers are tiny glass Tabasco bottles from a breakfast place. I have not seen them anywhere else! I made my wife go back a second day so I could get two for a friend as well.

In a way, very fitting. McIlhenny first put his Tabasco (tm) sauce in used cologne bottles, and now you're using used Tabasco (tm) bottles for cologne (well, aftershave).

Top Bottom