What's new

Making a DE and/or SE Travel Shaving Kit

Usually I go with disposables, but a stint with an electric and later with an SE has me thinking about putting together a travel shaving kit. Still sleepy enough my mind is running in circles on this. Wondering about transport of the razor, a brush, and shaving soap/cream.

Criteria:
I want to do this on the cheap, not just because I am cheap. If I lose it or an item in it, I don't want it to be a heartbreak. For instance, I like my SE because it has a blade guard I can close for travel, but they're thin on the ground and I don't want to lose it. This also rules out expensive razors and brushes. Yet I want to have a comfortable shave. I usually use canned foam when traveling, but I really missed shaving soap this time.

For a brush, I'm thinking of a synthetic because of drying issues. These last two go-rounds, I ended up leaving my toothbrush out of the holder so it would dry properly. There are a number of inexpensive synthetics that might fit the bill. They would need some sort of tube to store them in, and these seem to run about as much as the brush.

For a razor, I don't know whether to look at an inexpensive travel razor, or a case for a more modestly priced razor, or just go with a Weishi in a case. At the moment, I'd really like to carry my EJ or Merkur with me, but I'd leaning toward a grab-and-go kit. Ideally, the case would have a way to store additional blades.

Soap is a quandary. I was thinking of trying a soap stick, which was a common travel option back in the day, but that would need a case, too. I think Arko and Palmolive just come in a wrapper, which isn't ideal for travel. The most compact option - and most tidy - would be face lathering, anyway, which means a round soap container with a screw on lid would also work.

Thinking of one of those metal locker mirrors for a shave mirror. I could rig up a wire stand for it.

All of this would be in a single case. Ideally would be something that would hold the razor, blades, brush, and soap much like the old kits from around 1900 and so. Obviously, I wouldn't want to use a collector's item for this project. Space for aftershave would be a definite plus.

Any suggestions or comments?

For car travel, no issues. Synthetic brush, small puck, blades, etc in a dopp kit. Air is tougher. If you check baggage, same dopp kit. Carry-on means a disposable razor. Gillette Guard. Maggards has all you need.

I'm on the road now. I brought my Feather Pop razor and I have my travel size Proraso and AS. I also take on occasion a Erasmic shave stick as well as an old brush. It is not my Slim at home but it does the job. I also take my Van der Weishi with me from time to time. You cannot bring DE with razors as a carry on. I am going to get a Guard on my next supply ordet

La Toja shave stick is my travel soap - it comes in it's own tube and is an excellent soap. My travel brush is either a cheap Omega boar or a Vie-Long horsehair (Wee Scot sized), all sourced from Gifts and Care.
When I travel with a traditional razor, it's usually a Shick injector, a 1912 or a Micromatic - all dirt cheap and plentiful so no angst if I lose one. If I'm flying for a weekend or overnight I just pack a Trac II cart; for longer trips I will have a bag to check so it's easier to pack blades for a traditional razor.

My general kit is:
La Toja stick (comes in its own container)
Simpsons Wee Scot (in an old pill container with a few extra holes drilled into it)
Small (<1 oz) plastic container for AS

My razor varies depending on the type of travel
Plane: a disposable these days if moving around. If staying one place then I mail some blades to the hotel.
Car: Lord L6 razor with blades in a WCS case that I got to 'fill in an order.'

I travel with a full sized bakelite handled Tech.
Face lather with an Ogalalla stick, or more commonly a tube of cream nearing the end. This month, the Williams travelled in a little plastic tub with locking tabs.
20 mm Yaqi synthetic; no tube or case
1 oz decant of WH or splash, depending on my trip
A blade or two in a Wilkinson plastic tuck.
All fits very nicely in a tiny little dopp kit.
I always check at least one bag when travelling air; my shaving kit can ride with my steel toes, hard hat, and respirator for the time in the air.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My travel kits are ultra simple. DE razor is a Merkur 985 or Wilkinson Sword Classic. A Palmolive shave stick can be used without a brush, just rub directly on the face, and massage to a lather with wet fingers. Both my travel washbags have a small mirror in them already. Add in some cheap blades that I don't mind throwing out before they're spent, and I'm good to go.

I try to avoid travelling by air whenever possible, as I don't like being treated like a criminal.

I am travelling at the moment.
Arko stick with food wrap to seal it
Muhle synthetic travel brush
I am using a cheap clone razor with a case
Muhle razors have blade guards that you can buy separately.
Old TOBS bowl as a travel scuttle .

I made a mistake with the preshave oil. It was in a pump bottle - air pressure made it leak.

Does anyone have a good hack for drying brushes correctly when travelling. The Muhle brush has an intrinsic sleeve but no way to dry it out upside down. I rigged something up with a coat hanger in my hotel room but that isn't practical. I don't want to carry a stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a good hack for drying brushes correctly when travelling. The Muhle brush has an intrinsic sleeve but no way to dry it out upside down. I rigged something up with a coat hanger in my hotel room but that isn't practical. I don't want to carry a stand.

All of my brushes (badger, boar, horsehair) dry just fine standing on their handles - there's no need to hang them, they won't deform standing up.

Omega Brush 6 bucks
Feather Pop Razor Under 20 bucks
Palmolive or Erasmic Stick soap 5 bucks
Small Proraso Tub soap 5.99
Aqua Velva 3.5 oz musk or sport 3.99
Wilks blades 1.99 or blades from own stash
Styptic pencil for an emergency 2 for 2.99 or one fat size stick

Pretty much what can be done on the low green factor. I have all of these items from kit or recently bought. I had the Feather Pop but bought others recently. Just remember the 3.5 oz carry on and no DE razor. If no blade they will still pull you off and have you explain it. Just check them and no issue. I am going to try a Guard to take with me. Those are fine. Just another rule made by inept thinkers. One need not go to MIT to know a cart can be snapped open and have up to, what is it now, 10 blades in one? Who stops a JB from going to the shoebox with a toilet to do it. Just check em and spare the guffngrief.

I try not to analyze their method to the madness just follow the rules. NYS courts made me take off a P38 can opener as sharp as a bowling ball years ago and so be it. Could not open a can with it, cut paper or your finger. My Bic pen is sharper. I would not surrender it because it belonged to family and ran back to the car and went on in. As they say in the Navy don't make waves! Don't give up the ship or your Gillette either!

I am travelling at the moment.
Arko stick with food wrap to seal it
Muhle synthetic travel brush
I am using a cheap clone razor with a case
Muhle razors have blade guards that you can buy separately.
Old TOBS bowl as a travel scuttle .

I made a mistake with the preshave oil. It was in a pump bottle - air pressure made it leak.

Coffee cup and lid they usually have in rooms. I can see that work for a brush holder in a pinch. Or use that Sunbeam hair dryer they have. Won't dry hair but should dry a razor and tools. One I had today could not blow out a match.

IMG_20170906_214318.jpg

20mm synthetic whipped dog, schick injector and a large glue stick full of Arko. If traveling really light, I throw it into a ziplock baggie.

Film canisters are the right diameter for a 28-mm stick: Palmolive, Speick, etc. They also great with Cella, or grated hard soaps. I use these a lot eith Cella, as it is great in hard water.
  • Find an empty film canister.
  • Cut a finger-size hole in the bottom of the canister.
  • Drop a quarter or similar-sized coin in the bottom.
  • Pack soap into the canister.

Push up the soap from the bottom, using the quarter as a base.

I also have a few 1/4 oz glass Tabasco bottles that are perfect for 3-4 days of aftershave each.

Going to pick up a decent and cheap shavette pretty soon (don’t ask me which, I still don’t know myself!) and build a kit around that. I love my DEs and SR too much to risk them on a trip, even if they were cheap too.

M

member 119848

I have a Phoenix bakelite OC slant that is ideal for traveling (if it get lost I don´t care about it). However, if I don´t need to fly I would take my R41 protected in a pipe pouch.
I´m not settled for the brush yet. I need to find a tube to accomodate my regular Stirling 24mm. If not I may buy a dedicated Mühle travel brush.
Shaving cream in a tiny container would be my choice over a soap stick.

I feel as though I may be some help as I travel, whether flying or driving about 6 months a year. I have just a normal size dop bag, nothing oversized at all. Here’s what I pack
2 tubes of Crabtree and Evelyn cream, Indian sandalwood and Moroccan myrrh.
Matching aftershave balms, the smaller size which I believe is 1.5 oz
1 semoque boar brush,,820.
Double edge razor with a cheap ebay razor storage box.
I generally check a decent sized bag so no issues with tsa and a razor. Although I have packed my kit in my carry on and have had no issues. Just make sure there’s no blade or blades in you bag and the razor is put together so they know what it is. I usually just hit the dollar store and grab some cheap blades for the week.

Film canisters are the right diameter for a 28-mm stick: Palmolive, Speick, etc. They also great with Cella, or grated hard soaps. I use these a lot eith Cella, as it is great in hard water.
  • Find an empty film canister.
  • Cut a finger-size hole in the bottom of the canister.
  • Drop a quarter or similar-sized coin in the bottom.
  • Pack soap into the canister.

Push up the soap from the bottom, using the quarter as a base.

I also have a few 1/4 oz glass Tabasco bottles that are perfect for 3-4 days of aftershave each.
Oh the film can idea for stick soaps sounds like a gem! I still shoot 35mm as does my daughter so I have a couple around. Top Tip!

Top Bottom