What's new

Macro lens recommendations

I am thinking of getting a macro/micro lens, I currently use a Nikon D3200, wasn't going to be my first choice but it came my way at a price I couldn't refuse.
I want a lens for close up shots of insects, bugs, flowers etc, was thinking maybe a 90mm or 105mm might be best so I don't have to get too close to the bugs and make them leg it.
Max budget is around £400
So far my first choice is the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP DI.
Any thoughts on the best lens for the D3200 in this price range?

have you tried using a simple macro spacer? very economical and the current ones will work with your auto lenses.
aside from that, i'd suggest something in the 90 to 105mm range, preferably with VR.
You don't really need super fast lens, since most macro shots are at small f/stop openings.

Thanks for the input guys, the Tamron 90mm has been recommended by a couple of people now but need to see what the 60mm can do as well, will keep researching the options and see if I can find a store to try a few out

have you tried using a simple macro spacer? very economical and the current ones will work with your auto lenses.
aside from that, i'd suggest something in the 90 to 105mm range, preferably with VR.
You don't really need super fast lens, since most macro shots are at small f/stop openings.

+1 to that. I'd look at extension tubes with electronic relays so your lens still communicates with the camera. You can even buy one without the connections if you are willing to work (or if your lens allows you to work) stop down metering.

Last edited:
Obviously this is a little out of the OP's price range, but the late Ronnie Gaubert used to use a 300mm with an extension tube (on a tripod of course) to get very nice close up shots and be able to be quite a distance away. A lot of the macro shots I see of bugs and such are staged indoors under lighting with deceased critters. Easy to get close then :)

Thanks again guys, looks like I need to do some more research, all the stuff I found so far said get a dedicated macro lens, but after seeing the reverse lens and extension tube stuff I think I need to widen my search criteria. I have managed to get a few good but not amazing close up shots of insects with a 50mm lens and a set of close up lenses, not the best pics but at least I know I have the patience needed to get some good pics when I have better kit and greater knowledge.

It's often hard to tell what's what in the photography world. That advice could be coming from pros, who would rather buy a lens for a specific project.

For an amateur, is the macro lens absolutely necessary? It depends on what kinds of shots you want. Extension tubes aren't a hue outlay, and could probably be resold for close to the same price you paid if you decide you don't like them.

I have the older 60 and the latest 105 VR. Love both. Use the 60 a lot for portraits as well as macro, the 105 mostly macro.

Used tubes on my old Minolta, they worked extremely well.

For still, really close macro I find a focus rail to be a great help.

The Nikon 60mm F2.8D is a fantastic lens. I use it for all of my SOTD shots and is a comfortable focal range for small products and still life. It doesn't have an internal focus motor so I don't think you'll have auto focus with it.

A friend recently bought the Sigma 105 f2.8 which is an outstanding lens. He loves it and it includes VR. It's affordable too!

Check out pixel-peeper.com and dxomark. These are my top two sources for researching lenses aside from reviews.

Have you seen the AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G. It's a great little macro lens - you'll need to get fairly close - and it runs for about $280 USD.

If you want to be farther away from your subject, I'd go to the AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR - it retails for about $500 USD.

They're both great lenses for crop-sensor cameras like your D3200. As long as you don't plan on moving to a "full-frame" D600/610, D77, D800/810 or D3/4 you'll be set for a long time with either of these lenses.

Legion

Staff member
I'ma gonna let you in on a little photog secret here...

Google up images taken with the Raynox DCR-250

...that is all.

I'ma gonna let you in on a little photog secret here...

Google up images taken with the Raynox DCR-250

...that is all.

That looks very interesting indeed, obviously if I can get great pictures with less outlay then that is the way I will go, I originally thought a macro lens was the only way to go but I don't want a dedicated macro lens just so I can say I have one like some of the pros use. The reasearch continues, thanks for all info so far as well guys

Legion

Staff member
That looks very interesting indeed, obviously if I can get great pictures with less outlay then that is the way I will go, I originally thought a macro lens was the only way to go but I don't want a dedicated macro lens just so I can say I have one like some of the pros use. The reasearch continues, thanks for all info so far as well guys

A dedicated macro lens would be the way to go ideally, but that Raynox punches above its weight quality wise. And unlike the extension tubes or bellows you do not reduce the amount of light entering the camera.

A dedicated macro lens would be the way to go ideally, but that Raynox punches above its weight quality wise. And unlike the extension tubes or bellows you do not reduce the amount of light entering the camera.
I am liking the look of the Raynox and the owner reviews are all pretty good, definitely worth a look before diving in to a dedicated lens, thanks for the heads up:thumbup1:

I owned this lens
SIGMA

70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

It was FANTASTIC. At the time I owned it, the lens was reportedly one of the sharpest macro lenses on the market. Also a wonderful portrait lens. Sells for $450 American dollars. According to a conversion calculator $450 American dollars is only 267 British Pounds.

Top Bottom