What's new

MacDuffs?

The Birth of the Cool sample I received from Pasteur Pharmacy was the consistency of a cream. Not sure if it was a bad batch or if this is the intended consistency.

The Birth of the Cool sample I received from Pasteur Pharmacy was the consistency of a cream. Not sure if it was a bad batch or if this is the intended consistency.
MacDuff's soaps used to be somewhat firm. For some reason what has been released recently is quite a bit softer, almost too soft to load your brush from the tub. I know this catches guys off-guard who are use to using firm croaps.

MacDuff's soaps used to be somewhat firm. For some reason what has been released recently is quite a bit softer, almost too soft to load your brush from the tub. I know this catches guys off-guard who are use to using firm croaps.
I had to treat my sample of Birth of the Cool as a cream. Since I am a face latherer, that means putting dabs of the "soap" on my face and face lathering.

The thing that led me to believe that it might be a bad batch, was that I had also received a sample of 5 Points from Pasteur Pharmacy, and that was a much different consistency, more of a soft soap consistency - about the consistency of Stirling, Shannon's Soaps, Cathie's Bubbles, etc.

I hesitate to buy more, even though I really like the scents.

I had to treat my sample of Birth of the Cool as a cream. Since I am a face latherer, that means putting dabs of the "soap" on my face and face lathering.

The thing that led me to believe that it might be a bad batch, was that I had also received a sample of 5 Points from Pasteur Pharmacy, and that was a much different consistency, more of a soft soap consistency - about the consistency of Stirling, Shannon's Soaps, Cathie's Bubbles, etc.

I hesitate to buy more, even though I really like the scents.
I like to smear their softer soaps over my beard with my finger and then lather. Not that much different from using a shave stick and actually quicker. I guess I don't give it a second thought because that's how I always applied creams back when I used them. I got tripped up with my first use of MacDuff's/TRC American Vintage as it turned out to be a soft soap. Not thinking about it I swirled my brush around for 20 or 30 laps of the tub. I ended up with enough lather for three shaves.

I really love MacDuff's soap and they're my second most represented artisan in my den. I think they're a top tier maker and their soaps leave my skin feeling great throughout the night.

Thanks. Right now we're just trying to get pre-approval worked out. I'm self employed which makes the process a bit... interesting. I've been talking to my accountant more in the last week than I have the last 4 years 😆
My wife and I got into the market here in Victoria in 2010... than f###ck.
I would imagine there would be other super fun time hoops to jump through if you have the audacity to be an entrepreneur in this economic climate!

I own a smattering of MaDuff soaps because it is my favorite soap on the market. Here are the ones I own:

Currently in den:

- Spring Cabin (on my second release tub now)
- Summer Cabin
- Christmas Cabin
- Sea to Sky
- Old Strathcona
- Kananaskis Explorer
- Icefields Parkway

Finished off:

- Autumn Cabin
- Badlands

On the way:

- Dark Sky Preserve

AMA about the scents...

Dark sky preserve came in the other day. Another winner. I was unsure with the lavender note since i really dont like the stuff. It hit strong on the lavender for just a couple seconds then became barely noticeable. What developed then was just wonderful.
20230423_115707.jpg

This thread got me thinking about the tree moss blend, so I went back to Old Strathcona. What a wonderful scent and overall product.

If I hide some of my "winter" scents, I may be able to sneak a couple new tubs into the bathroom.

Interesting. The lavender in the description definitely put me off.
The note from the tin is prominent with lavender but in a lather it blends nicely with the other notes. I usually find things with Lavender to be too much lavender but this is nice.

With the aftershave the lavender is obvious at first but fades to the back after just a few seconds. You know it's there but it's hidden behind the other notes.

Overall, I find this scent to fade rather quickly. An hour, two tops. I wish it had more longevity.

Tried Autumn Cabin for the first time. Very impressed with the performance. May be among my top 3 preferred bases.
The scent is one I like. I get a gentle vanilla with a hint of maple syrup and woody undertones. Scent strength 5/10.

Just used Spring Cabin for the first time.
Off the puck and during the shave I got a nice low to medium strength citrus with a hint of cedar.
Post shave the citrus dropped off and a mild blend of wood and spice came forward that stays on the border of consciousness. Just the way I like it.
(BTW, the soap does a good job with blending with just a tiny touch of menthol to the lather during these hot days.)

Last edited:
Any experience here with Rosemary Sea Salt?
Just used Rosemary Sea Salt for the first time. Quick synopsis....love it.
The soap consistency is the standard MacDuff's "croap"....which I quite like. I lather by taking an almond sized scoop of soap from the puck and pressing it into a shaving bowl from which I load a shaving brush to face lather.
After that I add a bit more water to the bowl and bowl lather what remains applying that to my face.
I am a big fan of MacDuff's performance. Plenty of glide and residual slickness, top notch post shave feel.
The scent of the soap is medium. Off the puck I get gentle anise and herbaceousness with a hint of wood and sea.
Lathering the herbs and anise blend to produce a nice outdoor scent with a faint woody base.
The scent fades within an hour post shave...picking up a very very faint lavender post shave scent if I imagine really hard.
By no means is it a "rosemary bomb". In fact I would be hard pressed to pick out rosemary as a primary scent so skillfully is it blended with the other components. The same goes for each of the herbs listed in the ingredient list. Overall a very very good blend of components.
I'm very glad I got this one and am thinking of picking up a second puck.

Top Bottom