What's new

Luecke's Straight Journal

Ah yes, the lesson we all have to learn on our own. To not chase the BBS shave. Doesn't matter how many shaves you have under your belt, it never ends well when one does that.
Yep, if I need a BBS, which I don't, I'll use a safety razor. There is no need to push my luck!

Good cautionary tale for those of us who are newer to this.
Amen, no more push to go ATG, my goal is to become proficient in a smooth efficient shave!

I forgot to mention that my lather with Wet Shaving Products(WSP) Classic Shaving Soap was luxurious and slick. If only it was scented.... I have to go with something with some flavor tomorrow!

Shave #13

Today's Shave:

-5/8 Plüco Solingen
-Theirs Paddle Strop(40 laps)
- Semogue 620
- L'Occitain Cade
- RazoRock Alum
- Theyers Cucumber Witch Hazel
- Aubrey Organics North Woods AS
- Aubrey Organics North Woods ASB
- 50 laps on leather

Well, cuts, weepers, and razor burn.... That sums up my shave this morning, I was rushed and over confident. This week has been full of lessons. I know now that if I only have 20 minutes to shave, rushing through the steps is not an option. My standard prep was enough, but in these situations, I need to just go with a DE. The WTG pass was serviceable, but the XTG pass was rough... I ended up with two cuts and a couple of weepers. I used too much pressure on my neck, possibly because the razor is not as sharp as it should be... All I can do is keep learning and keep my chin up.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Try 10x on the pasted side of the strop, followed by 50 on leather. Be sure to wipe the blade down whenever you leave a pasted strop as you don't want to "contaminate" your leather one.

I found 50 a good number on leather for daily upkeep, but as always.... YMMV

Hey, welcome to our corner! I just took note of your journal today and look forward to reading your posts.

So nice to hear you have a fourth generation (including yourself) razor! I'm envious!

I also reach for a DE when I'm travelling for work or when I'm in a hurry at home, and even for a nice change once in a while. I think the term 'Marathon' sums up the learning experience, but in my experience, the second winds come very quickly. When everything aligns it is such a rewarding thing and looking back on my 65 or so shaves, there is clearly a good improvement in the results from the beginning! Persistence is the word!

Shave #14

Today's Shave:

- Wade & Butcher FBU
-Theirs Paddle Strop(50 laps)
- Semogue 620
- WSP Unscented
- RazoRock Alum
- Aubrey Organics City Rhythms AS
- 50 laps on leather

Today I shaved with my Grandfather's Wade & Butcher FBU! It was a bit larger than the 5/8 or 6/8 I'm used to. I had a nice long shower and soaked my beard with AO Conditioner. The shave was very nice, I took my time(about 45 min). My WTG pass went very well as usual, I took my time stretching my skin well. The XTG Pass was much more comfortable than my past few shaves, there was no incident. I had a few touch ups, about 2-3 strokes each. The WSP soap sample is done, I enjoyed its slickness, I have liked it overall. I'm really satisfied with my shave and I'm happy I could shave with a family heirloom! Have a good Sunday!

Ended up shaving with the Gillette New this morning... A quick 3 pass BBS! I was a little late getting out of bed and didn't want to chance cut city by trying to work in a quick shave with the Plüco.... Best wishes and have a great day!

Shave #15

Today's Shave:

-5/8 Plüco Solingen
-10 laps on the pasted side of my Strop
-Theirs Paddle Strop(50 laps)
- Semogue 620
- Proraso Green Soap
- RazoRock Alum
- Proraso Aftershave Splash
- 50 laps on leather

Today's shave was perfect for a Missouri summer! I started out by scrubbing my face in the shower with Noxema original. The shave consisted of a Noxema Pre-shave and a generous application of Proraso Green Soap which I bowl lathered. FEEL THE MENTHOL!! I touched up the Plüco on the pasted side of my strop, then did 50 laps on leather. That did the trick, a smooth shave! WTG was very smooth, but XTG was where my shave really shined! I feel like I'm really getting the hang of skin stretching and pressure. I ended out my shave with an ATG pass on my neck which turned out really very well! I figured out how to stretch my skin toward my ears to get to the stubble under my jaw line, also the fear of touch up ATG on my neck subsided. I'm not yet an old hand at the straight razor, but encouraging DFS+ shaves makes me really want to push myself. I finished off my shave with RR Alum which only stung a little under my left jaw line. I hit the Theyers cucumber and a couple of slaps of Proraso AS Splash(the wife rally diggs the smell). Have a great day guys!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Congrats on what sounds like a greeat shave. Amazing what a bit of crayon can do for an edge, isn't it?

I had an early morning meeting, so no Straight shave today... The New LC and Polsilver(2) made quick work of my stubble. There really is no point in rushing myself when I only had 15 min to shave.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Nothing wrong with that all at. A good shave is a good shave.
I'm enjoying using my DE on weekdays for the past few weeks.

A failure to launch this morning resulted in a no shave morning. Curiously after the DE shave yesterday, I ended up with a few small pimples and ingrown hairs... Weird, perhaps it's like switching from a cart to an electric razor or cart to DE?

I need a couple of days to truly get back into the swing of DE shaving after longer straight runs and vice versa. Completely different muscle memory, but it seems the switch is getting easier each time. I like the variety, and have been more inclined to try crazy pairings when I use a DE these days.

Top Bottom