What's new

Luecke2326's True Shave Journal

I've had a few threads in the past that I had used as a journal, but didn't they were light hearted attempts at a journal. My goal in starting this journal is to track as many shaves as I can and hopefully to learn something about my shaves and maybe myself. I'm not the most eloquent of writers. I don't always use the best grammar or punctuation, but I doubt any of you will call me out on it.

A little backstory for those of you that don't know me well. I've been a member of B&B for a little over three years. The first three years I was getting wonderful shaves with my vintage Gillette's. This September I felt a call toward trying my hand at using a straight razor for the second time. My first try was a haphazard attempt during the 2014 sabbatical where I was PIFed a whipped dog setup. My shaves were horrible because I over stropped the blade and in general fouled things up. I was drawn back by inquiring questions from a cousin asking about wet shaving. I didn't have any answers to his questions about Straight Razors, so I did some research. Next thing I knew, I had a few razors sent off to SRD for a honing and a new strop on the way. I've been shaving with a straight for about four months now and I'm really starting to get some decent shaves. I'm sure that as I continue in my journey they will become excellent shaves.

I want to thank, [MENTION=34037]rockviper[/MENTION] [MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION] & [MENTION=89999]skypsyd[/MENTION] for inspiring me to make an attempt at a journal. I'm sure their journals have helped them immensely.

I'm not typically a daily shaver due to irritation, so I'm an every other day kinda guy.

Today's shave:

Soap: Fine Platinum
Brush: SOC Boar
Razor: Heljestrand MK 31
Alum: RazoRock Alum
Aftershave: Fine Platinum
Balm: Nivea Cooling ASB
Cologne: Creed Aventus(Bulgarian knock off)
Strop: SRD Roo 30/40 post

$IMG_6586.jpg

This was the maiden voyage with this razor. I've heard it talked about a lot in the straight razor shave of the day thread. It's a gorgeous razor which I just received back from [MENTION=44174]Doc226[/MENTION], it was cleaned up and honed. He told me I didn't need to strop it for the first shave, so I went right after it.
I've never used a straight razor with a thumb notch before. It took me a little time to get the hang of using the notch right, but after a little practice the razor becomes like an extension of your own hand. It's particularly useful when going XTG toward the ear. The first pass WTG was very smooth, though I missed a little on my left side under my chin as I always seem to do. The second and third passes XTG & ATG went particularly well as I settled into using the razor. After three passes I was at a DFS minus a little cleanup just under my jaw line and directly under my chin. I used the Schick Adjustable Injector to do clean up and achieved a BBS all over afterward.
This was a nice first go with the MK 31, I'm hoping for a slightly closer shave the next time through, but user error will have to be overcome.

Your started your journal with quite the razor! Looking forward to reading more about your journey. How's the restorations going for you? I know you have a few projects. Not sure if you finished them.

Nice shave Matt, I too am prone to irritation in many situations but I seem to reduce my irritation when I use a straight... that is, as long as I avoid cutting myself. Nice razor and photo as well.

Great razor and great shave Matt! I have found that the process of writing out and describing challenges that I have been having has helped me through them probably just as much as the helpful posts by the other members. Before straight shaving, I only incorporated Journaling in my life a couple of times, but every time I have taken the time to do it, I have found it beneficial.

Your started your journal with quite the razor! Looking forward to reading more about your journey. How's the restorations going for you? I know you have a few projects. Not sure if you finished them.

Thanks very much, I really like this razor!

Restorations are going well! Originally I would go buck wild with the sand paper and polish razors to a mirror shine, but I would loose the crisp lines of the razor. Luckily I only did this to a couple of razors. Lately I've been taking it easy when sanding, more satin finishes on blades and polished finishes on spines and tangs. I need a piece of steel for pining and a hammer. I have some wood I'm planning on playing with in January for my first set of scales. I have several razors I'll show off in the next few weeks that I have cleaned up as well!

Nice shave Matt, I too am prone to irritation in many situations but I seem to reduce my irritation when I use a straight... that is, as long as I avoid cutting myself. Nice razor and photo as well.

Thanks! You know, I found that this razor was very forgiving and left me with the best post shave feel I've had yet with a straight.

Thanks! You know, I found that this razor was very forgiving and left me with the best post shave feel I've had yet with a straight.

That is what a supurb natural stone edge is supposed to do, and Alfredo is a master at a Jnat edge. Another rabbit hole you too can fall into if you are not careful.:lol:

Great razor and great shave Matt! I have found that the process of writing out and describing challenges that I have been having has helped me through them probably just as much as the helpful posts by the other members. Before straight shaving, I only incorporated Journaling in my life a couple of times, but every time I have taken the time to do it, I have found it beneficial.

Thank you much, I hope it will help as much as it's helped everyone else!

That is what a supurb natural stone edge is supposed to do, and Alfredo is a master at a Jnat edge. Another rabbit hole you too can fall into if you are not careful.:lol:

I'm pretty sure this was my first Jnat shave. I've ordered a couple of Norton Combination stones and a 12K naniwa to get started. I'll have plenty to talk about in this journal.

I'm pretty sure this was my first Jnat shave. I've ordered a couple of Norton Combination stones and a 12K naniwa to get started. I'll have plenty to talk about in this journal.

So you have already fallen into the hole. Having some synthetics on hand is a very good idea, and you will be able to maintain exceptional edges using them. Good luck!

Today's shave:

Soap/Cream: Proraso White Vitamin E & Aloe
Brush: SOC Boar
Razor: 5/8 Waterville Unlimited (1/4 hollow)
Cleanup Razor: PAL Adjustable(Schick blade)
Aftershave: The Vege
Cologne: Lacoste Essential
Strop: SRD Roo 30/50 post

It was a pretty nice day here in central Missouri, we ended up around 50F with clear skies and sunshine. The working day drug along at a snails pace seeing as how I have another three day weekend ahead of me.

This is the first time I've used My Waterville Unlimited since receiving it back from Maestro Alfredo. The edge was superb! I had to check my angle on my WTG pass to be sure I was actually removing stubble. After rinsing, it was obvious the razor was definitely doing its job. The WTG pass was very smooth and error free. The razor has a nice set of jimps on the bottom and an extended thumb notch with an extended tang. This long thumb notch allows you to place both your middle finger and index finger on the tang side, adding some added nimbleness to the razor. I tried this out when shaving XTG. This pass was also very smooth and comfortable, more so because this razor is so forgiving. I did an ATG pass on my neck with out any problems to achieve a DFS.
$IMG_6594.jpg
Last Saturday, in the way to see family in St. Louis I managed to pick up a PAL Adjustable for only $4.00. So, naturally after getting it cleaned up yesterday, I had to take it for a test drive. For my final cleanup pass, I loaded the PAL with a Chinese Schick blade and commenced a blood bath.... The shave was going exceedingly well up to this point, I promise! The angle of attack was slightly different from my Schick Adjustable and I think I had the blade gap dialed up to about 3/4. So, working on figuring out this razor, I managed to pull quite a few weepers on my upper lip and chin. I chalked it up to a learning experience and finished out the shave with a near BBS.
$IMG_6593.jpg
The Alum BURNED!!

I'll have to try and hone in on getting quality shaves out of the PAL, I know a lot of guys stand by them.

Tomorrow morning Iryna and I are off to St. Louis again for a second Christmas with my brothers family and possibly a night out on the town. I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year, whether you go out or stay in. Best wishes!

Matt
View attachment 712919

Great read Matt, and safe travels. Nice buy on the PAL, but it looks like ole Ouch messed with it a bit, you'll get it dialed in I'm sure.

No shave this evening because we got in from St. Louis so late... We had Christmas with my Mom and Dad yesterday and they went a little crazy! Amongst the amazing gifts they showered upon us I received these fantastic Shaving items! $IMG_6600.jpg

I'm excited about the Fine L'Orange Noir set, as I already have the American Blend and Platinum sets! I could tell that my wife helped my parents out by raiding my Amazon saved items, because I definitely didn't ask for the Norton 4000/8000 or the Saponificio Varesino! Now i already had a set of Norton stones on the way as well as a naniwa 12K, so I'll have to send the 4000/8000 I already ordered back(no biggie), no complaints here! I have an amazing thoughtful family!

Hi Matt! Nice CVH and that Waterville is a nice looking razor as well. Alfredo definitely will put a great edge on them, so that is a great way to get the edges prepped to get back into the straights.

Nice score on the Pal adjustable razor and great gifts from the family at Christmas. I love the Fine L'Orange combo and the scent of the SV Felce Aromatica is one that i was constantly sneaking a sniff of.

Looking forward to following along with your progress.

Pete

Today's shave:

Pre shave: Soap Woods Walnut
Soap/Cream: Fine Accoutrements American Blend
Brush: Semogue 620
Razor: 6/8 W. Singleton, Sheffield hollow ground
Cleanup Razor: Schick Adjustable
Aftershave: Fine Accoutrements American Blend
Cologne: Aqua di Gio
Strop: SRD Roo 30/60 pre & 30/50 post

Today was a rare early morning shave. I typically shave at night because I have to be at work between 5:00- 5:30am. I've been a little lazy with the long weekend and didn't shave at all. So, I started the morning with 3 days worth of stubble. I wanted to try out my new Fin L'Orange Noir shaving soap and aftershave this morning, but I literally had no empty containers available..... So, I went with American Blend which I've been neglecting.

The shave was very smooth and enjoyable this morning. I got up at 3:30am so I could take a nice hot shower and take my time. I washed my beard with Soap Woods Walnut soap, it smells amazing and really lathers up well. I bet I could make an excellent lather which would shave well, with plenty of slickness from a bar of the stuff. The 620 ripped through the puck of American Blend and and face lathered into a wonderfully slick smooth consistency. I've not used the W. Singleton before, it was honed up by a member of another forum who generously offered to bring this old Sheffield straight back into service. I can't thank him enough because it was truly excellent this morning. The first pass WTG was quick and easy, the edge made quick work of my thick 3 day growth. I was thinking wow, that was easy. The XTG pass was similarly error free and silk smooth. I did a mixed ATG/XTG pass on my neck and jaw line which turned out pretty well, but I still had a small amount of cleanup on my lower neck, just below my chin and on my upper lip. The Schick Adjustable made quick work of the cleanup to give me a smooth irritation free BBS!
Always do a once over with the Alum post shave, but this morning I had to drop my Alum and chip it on my soap jar.... It was a little rough to rub on my face. I'll rub it down tonight under water to smooth it out. I finished off with a generous application of American Blend and a little dab of Nivea Cooling.

Seeing as how this is a New Year, I'd say it was started in the right way. I hope everyone had a happy new year! I want you guys to know I really appreciate everything you've done for me and for the excellent advice you've shared with me. I'll lean on you all even more this year as I rely on your experience as I learn to hone. Thanks again!

Matt

Top Bottom