What's new

Luc shaving journal

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
25 this morning. I don't know why, I keep picking up the Raul... The handle is cracked, I will probably have it restored when the handle become 3 pieces or when the edge will be dull...

The Shave!

Smooth and close but not quite there, yet. Last week I had a rough neck, it wasn't so bad but still need work. This week, I still have the same symptoms but it feels better or closer. I think (again) that I'm getting closer and closer each shave.

I noticed that I spend a lot of time stropping the tip of the blade and use the edge close to the tang more...

I tried to use the tip a bit more this morning, it's a lot easier for the upper lip.

Tomorrow I lined up my John Watts as I didn't use it for a few weeks now.

Luc

Staff member
This is seriously addictive...

I got my John Watts to work this morning. I haven't used it a lot lately. My first straight shaver that I bought. Last time I used it, it felt like a piece of glass instead of a blade. I strop it a lot during the last stropping session (probably 4-5x more laps than my other blades...) and now it's smooth. I'm guessing I didn't strop it properly last time and now it's right.

Smooth shave again, not BBS but getting there. My neck is still patchy but I feel that I'm getting bigger BBS patches. In all cases, even if it stays a bit patchy, I'm still very satisfied with the shave!

I used Kapo shaving cream this morning... Good shave, I haven't used it in a while. I've been using the Omega shaving cream a lot lately. Those work quite well!

I'm still trying to get that neck right. I think that I got the directions right, it's just a matter of stretching properly and angle. The chin isn't bad, almost BBS. The jawline is BBS. Good shave today!

L

Lo'Tek

Tried it this morning... I would say it was as successful. It was comparable to week 1 when I started to use a DE.

I like your attitude and reasoning. It seems that a lot of DEers forget that they cut themselves when they where learning DE. Then they say something resembling - "This is hard and I don't have to put up with this with my DE.".

Luc

Staff member
I tried a bad boy this morning... Last on the right

attachment.php

It's a 7/8 James Foster - 7&8 Vicar lane leeds. I will take more pictures of the new straights to post them today or tomorrow. I thought I would give it a go as the blade was not shave ready but almost. A few hundred laps on the strop, it felt shave ready and I shaved most of my left hand.

However, I think I should have this one sent for touch-ups on a hone as it doesn't feel 'there'.

The shave itself wasn't bad. I got some bigger patches this time. No cuts, nicks, burning sensation or ingrown. The chin is getting good. I still need to work on the throat but I look presentable (I think!).

I also timed myself and, surprise surprise, I'm down to the same time than a DE (~20 mins for 3 passes). I will time myself again tomorrow to see if it's consistent or not. I didn't feel like rushing this morning and thought I spent 1 hour shaving...

Now, I just need to focus on the improvement.

Luc

Staff member
Very nice!!! Im really glad you are sticking with it. :cool:

Yes, I love it... The fact that I only spent 20 minutes and thought it was 1hr (a good hour) is a good proof!

Thanks, again, everyone for the experience!

Luc

Staff member
Already 28, I'm off tomorrow so I can do #29!!

I took the Raul out again... I don't know why, I love that one, sharp and smooth, the blade would need to be restored and the scales are cracked... The pivot is loose... I'm waiting to for the blade to be honed before I send it for a full restoration.

I tried a few grips this morning and had success. Thanks to this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110302

l still didn't get a BBS with a straight but I'm getting there. One thing is for sure, my neck is smooth at the moment but not quite BBS. I always have problems with the neck so I decided to do WTG, ATG, ATG. Both ATG were in a slightly different direction for my corn crop whiskers.

I will need to try those passes with the DE to see where it takes me!

The chin is getting very very close. Almost scratchy-free! Compared to yesterday, a much better shave, it shows if the razor is shave ready or not!

I took 30 mins this morning, which is consistent as I really took it slow. I love this hobby! I can't wait to receive my barber hone to learn how to keep my razors shave ready!

youre amassing quite an arsenal of razors there, mate.

triple check your angle on the neck, it took me a while when I was starting to realise it was all wrong there

Luc

Staff member
youre amassing quite an arsenal of razors there, mate.

triple check your angle on the neck, it took me a while when I was starting to realise it was all wrong there

Mmm, yes, I am... I should take a picture of what I have and post it... I know how you love pictures :001_rolle

I think that I keep a 30 deg angle for a majority of the shave... I will try to lower it when doing pass 2 and then 3...

Luc

Staff member
I love having a day off...

I got the Ceerucerrauh back out. I'm still working to get the right angle with that razor. Having a small blade makes it a bit difficult. I think I got it for the last 2 passes but I didn't get close enough. I will have to work with that one a bit more.

Weeper free shave. It's all good. 25 minutes shave this morning. I'm getting there!

Luc

Staff member
I will eventually get there one day...

I got the Ceerucerrauh out again. I thought I should re-visit it to see if I could get a better angle and closer shave. It's still a bit rough, no nicks.

I was tempted to use my DE this morning and decided against it. I have to stick with the straight.

One thing that I notice is the ease of shaving with a straight now. The confidence is going up so the blade is easier to work with. I don't have a blade skipping from point A to B anymore. There some kind of natural instinct in the game now.

Overall, I still feel a progression as the shave was not that close on Monday with the same razor.

Luc

Staff member
The first straight that I used was borrowed but the first straight that I owned was John Watts. The beast was out this morning!

I love that razor, probably because it's the first razor I bought...

The shave itself was very close. No cuts! I have big BBS patches on the cheeks, chin and throat. I think I did a big leap compared to last week. It's sad it's already over...

Where I still have patches, there's a line at the bottom of the neck and two patches under the chin. The rest is smooth. I still have a few whiskers that are resisting but I'll get them.

I'm very pleased with the shave this morning! Can't wait for shave #32!

EDIT: Forgot to add, 35 minutes this morning, including prep, 3 passes and putting everything away after/cleanup after myself.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
And the journey continues...

I used the Max Raul this morning. I still don't know why I love that razor so much... I guess it works well... I will soon need to increase my straights shaves during a week as I'm getting a good average now.

Today' shave, 40 minutes from Bed to coffee machine. So it includes up, wash, shave, dress and ready to make coffee. For me, that's acceptable as I take 10 minutes less with a DE, so I should be able to use a straight during the week. I'm thinking of extending my pilot of 2 straight shaves a week to 3 and see how I go.

I made superlather with Omega cream and Proraso white soap. Great combo!

I did my 3 passes and I'm getting very close to my DE results now. As last week, big BBS patches but I still have some stubbles here and there. Nothing like the first 5 shaves...

I focused on doing shorter strokes and keeping a low angle. No nick or weepers! Stay tuned for tomorrow shave!

Luc

Staff member
I used 'The Pratical' today. Big blade that went throught the whiskers like butter. Shelf butter, not fridge butter!

40 minutes still. I am not looking to beat the clock. No nick or weepers again. A bit patchy still, but I look presentable.

Luc

Staff member
34 already, 34 only... I will need to start working on adding a straight in my rotation during the week...

I used the John Watts today. One nick, I had a pimple and shaved it... That's okay with me, nicks look better than pimples :biggrin:

Again, still patchy but it's not so bad. I'm happy with the shave this morning and could go to work with it. Around 40 minutes still (from Bed to coffee machine with a shower/prep/shave in the middle) so, that's good.

I felt like going a bit quicker this morning, the shave is still as close. Which is good. I rather go slowly.

I worked on the small angle this morning and should think more about short strokes...

I will get the Max Raul tomorrow and see how it goes!

Luc

Staff member
Shave #35 today! It's going more than well. I fell that a BBS is a few shaves away...

I used Max Raul this morning. I will need to get new scales for that one after christmas...

Close shave, I used superlather made with Park Avenue cream and Proraso Aloe+Green tea soap.

I don't have a BBS but this shave is very close. I'm very happy with it. No nicks this morning. Yesterday pimple was shaved again but didn't bleed or burn so it's all good! 35 minutes this morning, which is excellent, I wonder if I can take the time down a bit or if my average will remain 35-40 mins...

I did focus on shorter strokes and a smaller angle, it helped heaps!

Luc

Staff member
Shave #36 was like a kid on Christmas morning. A new shave ready blade to try... I received a Joseph Fenton from Gugi
image.php
two days ago and decided to line for the first straight shave of the week-end.

What a blade! It went through everything like butter left on the table overnight on a 35C night!

Nice shave! I still need to work my technique but I'm getting there very slowly. A bit patchy here and there but I'm getting closer to my DE shaves... Much closer!

It took me 40 minutes this morning, bed to coffee machine as per usual so it's very good, I'm maintaining it. I went slow this morning and I'm glad to see it was great! Very happy with the shave, very very happy with the razor!

Luc

Staff member
I love this log, the progression is great so far! I will probably keep it until I reach the BBS.

I used the VOST - Sheffield this morning. Not as smooth as the Joseph Fenton from yesterday but very close shave. I worked a lot on the 'no pressure' rule today. I usually apply a bit of pressure, not that the blade skips but just to make sure that I get everything. Now that I think about it, I might cut myself more than anything so I'll work on letting the blade do the work for me. I think I got a closer shave than the average shave! No weepers! Still a bit patchy but presentable!

I'm almost done with my Omega shaving cream, I made superlather with it (and Proraso white). Good stuff!

I'm getting better with that second pass since I saw that page from SRP on how to hold the razor. I still need to work that second pass...

I will have an extra shave this week as Tuesday will be Melbourne Cup day! It's awesome! Stropping later today!

Luc

Staff member
Melbourne Cup today so I have a day off...

Shave #38

I used the John Watts this morning. I even gave it 10 extra laps on the strop before I began as I strop my razors during the week. I tried to do some blade buffing a bit to limit the lenght of my strokes. It didn't feel as natural or comfortable to do so... I prefer short strokes but slower.

The shave isn't closer and feel the same. A bit patchy here and there but still decent.

I timed myself, a record this morning, 30 minutes. I was aiming for 45-50mins so it's good. I should be able to do shave with a straight during the week now. I will wait that I have a few 30 mins shaves or 35 and will start doing so.

I'm still struggling with my XTG pass. I'm trying to do a E-W and W-E on the the throat and it seems the razor is too big to do so. I might to it wrong, there might be a better angle to do that. Any tips?

Top Bottom