What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Luc shaving journal

Luc

Moderator Emeritus
Tried it this morning... I would say it was as successful. It was comparable to week 1 when I started to use a DE.

The shave was ok, only one small cut. Most of my face is rough right now (stubbles). I will try again tomorrow as I felt a some pulling while I was shaving. It's probably related to technique, I think I have to concentrate on doing shorter strokes. I did a few long strokes and that might explain the pulling sensation vs doing heaps of small strokes.

I read Joel's tutorials so far and they are great! I was expecting that kind of shave (minus the pulling) maybe even worse. I had the mobile on the floor in case I would fall :lol:

One down, many, many more to go.

Congratulations.

I did the same thing when I started with a straight razor. I didn't try to force the shave or the closeness (I waited to do that :redface:). Great shaves will come in time, but razor burn or over shaving will hurt for days.

I have been having pulling too, but it has gotten worse with time (I'm only about 6-7 shaves in). It might be bad stropping technique.

But grats on a good first shave!

Last edited:
Congratulation Luc, and welcome to the world of straight blade shaving.

The list of us new guys keeps growing each day. Interesting - we all have the same problem areas ...

And nice to know from those that have gone before us and gained proficiency --- that great shaves are ahead as our skills improve.

Reagrds:

Luc

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks everyone!

Shave #2 this morning...

I did a 2 pass WTG/XTG. Much much smoother than the first time. No nick at all this morning. I still feel patchy but that's all right. I saw black stubbles in the white lather everytime I cleaned the blade, so it's a good sign! I am not confident yet to use a splash but I did the Proraso shave this morning, awesome!

I'm suprised that I can shave with ease under my nose. When I started with a DE I had troubles finding the right angle/direction and with a straight, the shave is great there (that's one spot!)

Like most starters, my jawline and chin is the problem. My cheeks are also rough but I will get there eventually.

Thanks everyone!

Shave #2 this morning...

I did a 2 pass WTG/XTG. Much much smoother than the first time. No nick at all this morning. I still feel patchy but that's all right. I saw black stubbles in the white lather everytime I cleaned the blade, so it's a good sign! I am not confident yet to use a splash but I did the Proraso shave this morning, awesome!

I'm suprised that I can shave with ease under my nose. When I started with a DE I had troubles finding the right angle/direction and with a straight, the shave is great there (that's one spot!)

Like most starters, my jawline and chin is the problem. My cheeks are also rough but I will get there eventually.
Hey, good on you Luc! Keep at it and you'll get better. It took me a few weeks putting up with scratches and nicks before I got to the smooth shave everyone talks about. A year later and it's like second nature. I went to straights first, then tried DEs. I have to say I much prefer straight shaves, but will keep a couple DEs (NEWs) around for quick shaves and travel.

What straight are you using?

s.

Thanks everyone!

Shave #2 this morning...

I have found it the same. Under the nose and my cheeks have been easy from the start ... At first I was apprehensive about laying the blade straight in under my nose -- but as it turns out it's easy. Now my chin ... That's a whole different story.

But I'm confident for all of us new guys, it will come in time.

Regards:

Luc

Moderator Emeritus
Thansk again for the comments!

I noticed this morning that I have a couple of scratches... It looks like I had a fight with a cat :lol:

The aftershave splash was a bit rough but it's all good now...

I currently have a borrowed razor stamped Made in England... I would need to have a look at it tonight.

Thats the interesting thing about straights, you do feel them cutting the hair more than DEs. Its strange considering they give a closer shave. But aslong as the shave is comfortable and smooth.

Good onya mate and keep it up... its addictive.

+B

Awesome, I am glad that you tried it! I hope you enjoy straight shaving more and more! I cant wait to get my razors back from a honemeister! Is your razor still pulling?

was the razor "properly" honed when you got it?

Luc

Moderator Emeritus
Awesome, I am glad that you tried it! I hope you enjoy straight shaving more and more! I cant wait to get my razors back from a honemeister! Is your razor still pulling?

was the razor "properly" honed when you got it?
The second shave was smoother and didn't pull as much. I currently use newspaper to strop it. I suspect that newspaper stropping will polish the edge for a while but is in no way as good as proper stropping with leather... I borrowed the razor to have the straight shave experience.

I will eventually get a leather strop but yes the razor is properly hone as it pass the hair test!

I am going to begin by stropping with newspaper too since I don't have a proper strop yet.

Actually, I took a genco razor that looked like it had a bevel but did not shave arm hair and I started practicing the X-pattern on newspaper after about 20 minutes or so it began to cut arm hair when the blade was at a certain angle!

Since you said your razor was properly honed, the pulling might be due to the blade angle being less than ideal! I was watching one of Jockeys' straight shaving videos and he mentioned that your razor might pull if you don't have that nice blade angle. All the best!

Luc

Moderator Emeritus
I am going to begin by stropping with newspaper too since I don't have a proper strop yet.

Actually, I took a genco razor that looked like it had a bevel but did not shave arm hair and I started practicing the X-pattern on newspaper after about 20 minutes or so it began to cut arm hair when the blade was at a certain angle!

Since you said your razor was properly honed, the pulling might be due to the blade angle being less than ideal! I was watching one of Jockeys' straight shaving videos and he mentioned that your razor might pull if you don't have that nice blade angle. All the best!
That's what I was thinking. My technique with a straight is probably as good as my technique with a DE on day 1!

Luc

Moderator Emeritus
The borrowed razor is a Deputy - A.E. Woolhouse, Melbourne, Made in England. Light and good to begin with.

Nice to hear Luc, apparently my shave ready straight and stop has arrived today. I follow your progress with interest.

Luc

Moderator Emeritus
I'm keeping the next shave for this week-end as it takes me around 45 mins to shave. I will need to work or I can get up at 5am... :lol:

Just so you know Luc and guys, just because a razor passes a HHT doesnt mean it will give an acceptable shave. Im sure your razor IS shave ready, but just because a razor passes the hanging hair test doesnt mean it will give a comfortable shave. I get razors passing the HHT of a 1200 stone (and have even got it off a 320 grit), but it still needs to go through 4k, 8k 12k and leather before it will give a comfy shave.

Good on you guys and enjoy this new world. Learn to shave well first then have a crack a honeing.

+Buckler

Top Bottom