What's new

Looking for Shaving Scuttle Recomendations - A Real Good One

I currently have a Georgetown Shaving Scuttle. The handle just broke so it gives me the chance to see if there is anything out there that might be more suitable. The Georgetown was great, but my major complaint was that it's hot water well was minimal... It was okay if you have constantly running water flowing through it.

I'm using it primarily for creams vs soaps. The Georgetown was a lovely piece of pottery... but I'm thinking that there might be something out there that would be as pretty and keep the lather warmer... like a deeper hot water well...

Your input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Look no further then the Dirty Bird 1.5.

hold heat long enough for 4 passes. deep, wide, customizable, dependable, built like a tank.

this is not a scuttle you will want to hold and lather with, but just leave it sit on your counter and lather directly in it.

webbed lather ridges and no dribble port are my recommendations if you get one.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Robert Becker (Feats of Clay), is a awesome Potter with great prices and customer service!!!

Read More: http://www.rabfeatsofclay.com/page1.php

Read More: http://robertsfeatsofclay.com/scuttle009.html

Read More: http://www.etsy.com/shop/rbecker13

Below is m Medium ‘Cactus Sand’ Shaving Scuttle & Review". :lol1:

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=171254

NOTE: I replaced the rubber stooper with a wine cork (perfect & tight fit), because at times...the rubber stopper would 'pop' inside the Scuttle (no problem fishing it out), due to the pressure/steam from the hot water. Of course I wouldn't have this occasional problem if I would'nt use near boiling water to start with anyway, but I have'nt had any problems with the wine cork....plus it looks 'cooler' :thumbsup:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

proxy.php
"Your life is [like] a piece of clay, don't let anyone else mold it for you". Author Unknown

Chuck another vote in for the DB 1.5. They're hard to beat in terms of quality and heat retention. Webbed ridges are worth the extra $5; you can build lather in that thing like there's no tomorrow. When I first used mine, I honestly wondered for a minute if Julie (owner of Dirty Bird Pottery) hadn't somehow hidden a hot lather machine somewhere inside the scuttle.

now that i got my moss to work(and very well), those look much nicer. i now have to go kick myself at how much cheaper those are as well.

I'd just like to say that my G5 handle broke this weekend as well. I'm on a buying freeze until September 1, and I've been tossing around getting a DB 1.5 in lieu of the G5 or G20...but the coloring on the G5 was just beautiful.

fullrun, I feel your pain!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
$#1 fudge marble 2.jpgAnother vote for Robert Becker. He is great to work with and makes beautiful scuttles at a very reasonable price. Mine stays very warm through 3 lathers + with only hot tap water. It's possible the stopper keeps the heat in. I didn't get the lid, but I suppose that would make the heat last even longer (but not necessary in my estimation). Lot's of sizes available.

All I can say is that I have a Georgetown G20 and I love it. I've never tried anything else though.... but your concern about the capacity of the hot water well is alleviated with a G20 since they hold much more water than a G5. I have an ivory one. Very simple and a classic look. Has a little blue in it. The pewter cap on the plug looks very nice on the G20 as well.

Ben

Another vote for Robert Becker. He makes a quality product at a reasonable price. I have the large one and love it.
$Becker scuttle.jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Another vote for Robert Becker. He is great to work with and makes beautiful scuttles at a very reasonable price. Mine stays very warm through 3 lathers + with only hot tap water. It's possible the stopper keeps the heat in. I didn't get the lid, but I suppose that would make the heat last even longer (but not necessary in my estimation). Lot's of sizes available.

+1. I believe that is the "001" model that holds a pint-and-a-half of hot water. I also have that same scuttle, but I have the lid, which I consider a really neat feature. No matter, it's a helluva scuttle, topless or not.

in my opinion, i think the RB scuttles are nice, but they do not look as polished and sleak as your GT. the lather ridges and some of the makeup looks almost "pottery classish" (if that makes sense). nothing against them, i've never seen one 1st hand and they are a fine value for the money, they just don't look as nice as the GT and DB and others (moss etc)

if you are coming from a GT, i have a feeling you will be disppointed with a RB scuttle.

Last edited:
$Parker.jpg

I've recently moved from scuttles to a green Marvy rubber mug where soap is permanently kept and a warming pitcher that just holds hot water. Not pictured is an electric kettle that heats the water while I'm in the shower. The water is hotter if the brush is dipped in the warming pitcher before going in the lather. The warming pitcher was designed for holding things like pancake syrup and gravy. You put boiling water in the outer jacket to keep what's inside hot. It costs $7.95 at World Market. I like the charm and workmanship of scuttles but I get better results with this setup.

i just wanted to mention something. i felt really bad that i paid $100 and was wondering how robert has them for $26. roberts are made in a mold. they look very nice but there is a reason they are less money. i am sure they are very nice but they are not hand thrown. hence the difference in price. now that i used different soap i can highly recommend sara's. it keeps the brush and lather smoking hot. it does not look as nice to me but it takes her a month to make one. for that i feel she does deserve her asking price.

DB fan here as well, for the cooler days when I want a warm shave. I second the Marvy rubber mug, or the one I have...the Marvy Opal mug. I love to use this while shower shaving. I don't use it to house soaps, but I do use it to build lather. I would rather drop this on my foot in the shower than the DB.

$IMG-20111025-00030.jpg

DB fan here as well, for the cooler days when I want a warm shave. I second the Marvy rubber mug, or the one I have...the Marvy Opal mug. I love to use this while shower shaving. I don't use it to house soaps, but I do use it to build lather. I would rather drop this on my foot in the shower than the DB.

i use the exact same one for camping/travel/dopp kit. works like a charm for soaking my brush and housing my brush between passes.

I also have the World Markets $8.00 special and the Becker model. Both work very well, I just prefer the smooth lines and clean white color of the World Market warmer better than any of the pottery types.

I have a Sarah Bonnyman Texan Moss scuttle. it is handmade and has a ridged shaving bowl...a work of art. Check her website, a working piece of art for sure. Worth a look before you make your purchase. Goog luck!

Top Bottom