What's new

Looking for more aggression...

My daily driver is a Merkur 34. I get good shaves consistently, but not always great. Very coarse hair on neck and most are pili multigemini (multiple hairs from one follicle). Have been DE shaving for well over 2 years and have dialed in technique, what I like in software, prep, etc.
my question is: what is a next step razor (modern, in production) in terms of aggressiveness? Slants are out of the question. Had a Merkur 37c for over a year and did not enjoy it. I have been eyeing the Muhle 41r and a few modern SE razors, especially Blackland Sabre. Thank you in advance for the input.

if money are issue then Fatip Grande, if money are not issue the Rockwell 6S. Both will serve you well and for many years, one is all brass and the other is all SS

The Mühle R41 is a big step up in aggressiveness, but worth the time it takes to get the angles dialled in. However, it might be sensible to get up to the R41 in increments rather than jumping straight in. I don't know the Merkur range, so I'll leave that for others to comment on. I'll give you one or two options here - there are many more, so this is not definitive by any means.

If you're looking to stay with a closed comb, I'd suggest trying the Maggard V3A (very similar to the Razorock Mentor CC). For me, it's smooth and very efficient, providing a very close shave. If you want to venture into open combs, I'd suggest starting with the Maggard V2 open comb (very similar to Pearl OC razors). Also very smooth and quite efficient. The Maggard heads can be bought on their own so you can try them with a familiar handle, or select a handle or two from the excellent Maggard range - they have plenty in long and short, heavy to very heavy, giving you different good quality hardware options without breaking the bank.

I find the Ikon Tech to be just as aggressive but smoother than the 41. The lower profile makes getting under the nose easier as well.

Try using a shim (or two) under your blade first.
This will give you an idea of whether more aggressive razors will suit your face without spending money.

Had my first shave with a Muhle R41 tonight..... I was impressed!

I too used a Merkur 34C for sometime, needed a solid 3 passes to get A DFS, never really enjoyed a BBS. Switched to a Merkur 37C slant. I enjoyed the slant, I thought it was very smooth razor, no irritation (unless it was my fault through a hurried shave). I regularly enjoyed a DFS and if I was patient, a 3 pass BBS was possible.

Like you, I wanted something more and read posts from members who tried the Muhle R41. Stories ranged from OMG a DE "Widowmaker" to OMG what a "fantastic" razor, the next best thing to a straight razor!

Even though I have been DE shaving for some time, I was nervous. Showered, lathered up some TOBS Sandlewood and took a deep breath. I felt like a rookie again, taking slow deliberate strokes, the lightest touch I could muster.

Yes, you can definitely feel blade against the whiskers. Yes, not as smooth as a slant (remember this was my first shave with this razor). Yes, a different experience for me. Yes, a 2 pass DFS with zero irritation (1 small nick below my lower lip, stopped bleeding before the witch hazel splash dried). Applied Nivea Post Shave Balm and I could not believe how great this shave felt.

I cannot wait for another shave!! A little more practice with this razor and some experimentation with different blades (currently using Personna Blue) and I believe I have found Nirvana.

To go another direction, you might consider an adjustable like a Future, perhaps even an old Slim or FatBoy. These would allow you to try a good range of options. Just a thought.

if money are issue then Fatip Grande, if money are not issue the Rockwell 6S. Both will serve you well and for many years, one is all brass and the other is all SS

+1 on the Fatip, is go for Piccolo though. Definitely aggressive. I use mine every shave. The 6s may or may not be a step up in aggression for you, but from what I hear it will definitely give smooth shaves.

I find the Ikon Tech to be just as aggressive but smoother than the 41. The lower profile makes getting under the nose easier as well.

Another +1, though it may be tough to find one.

To go another direction, you might consider an adjustable like a Future, perhaps even an old Slim or FatBoy. These would allow you to try a good range of options. Just a thought.

+1 to Slim/Fatboy...Futur is an ugly blob. :001_tongu

+1. Or a Mekur Progress, or a Parker Variant. I agree that the Futur looks like an ugly blob, but it's supposed to be _very_ aggressive, and might give you what you're looking for.

FWIW, I use a Progress set to 1.5 (out of 5), and it's comparable to an EJ DE89 at that setting. So there's lots of room for increased aggression.

Try using a shim (or two) under your blade first.
This will give you an idea of whether more aggressive razors will suit your face without spending money.
Ding... Ding... Ding!
Trying something that costs $0.00 and very little effort seems like a very viable option.
Especially since we all know many more $$$ will be spent in the coming years. :a12:

My daily driver is a Merkur 34. I get good shaves consistently, but not always great. Very coarse hair on neck and most are pili multigemini (multiple hairs from one follicle). Have been DE shaving for well over 2 years and have dialed in technique, what I like in software, prep, etc.
my question is: what is a next step razor (modern, in production) in terms of aggressiveness? Slants are out of the question. Had a Merkur 37c for over a year and did not enjoy it. I have been eyeing the Muhle 41r and a few modern SE razors, especially Blackland Sabre. Thank you in advance for the input.
What is it that you don’t like about the 37c?

Thanks for the responses. I Will comb through and research the suggestions.

I put in probably 40 shaves with the 37c and the results were sub par. A BBS shave always had some sort of irritation and an irritation free shave always felt like I had stubble left on my neck. Just a YMMV thing - didn’t work for me.

Thanks for the responses. I Will comb through and research the suggestions.

I put in probably 40 shaves with the 37c and the results were sub par. A BBS shave always had some sort of irritation and an irritation free shave always felt like I had stubble left on my neck. Just a YMMV thing - didn’t work for me.
Interesting because I’m in pretty much your exact same boat. 34 and 37 are my two razors. I love the 34 and can get bbs but it’s a lot of work. 37 is good after a few day growth but I get irritation and weepers on the third pass sometimes. I’m interested in a more aggressive razor but wonder if it will be just like the 37 since my problem with the 37 might be me. I’m sure I rush and use too much pressure because the 34 is so forgiving and that’s my daily driver. Either way I definitely don’t get a two pass DFS with the 37 so I’m eager to try something new.

As I mentioned earlier, my Merkur 34C and 37C always gave good shaves. I just had to work harder to get great shaves.

I gave the Muhle R41 a try based on many positive reviews by B&B members and found it to be an aggressive razor, but with care and patience, not one that causes irritation. Two pass DFS easily and BBS with just some touch-up afterward.

+1 on the Fatboy.. It's still my favorite razor. However, curiosity got the better of me and I ordered Qshave S2000 (Merkur Futur clone) off Aliexpress for 7 bucks(and a month of waiting).. I think if you use the new user coupon the price goes down to 3.00 IMHO the Futur clone is very aggressive but well designed.. If I end up using the clone more often I'll probably buy the real thing to pay my respects to Merkur.

Thanks again gentleman. Looking at all the suggestions, I ordered a Merkur Progress from my local shave shop, Maggards. If needed, I know of a few more suggestions for the future, thanks to everyone. Somehow a Simpson Commodore X3 in best badger ended up in my cart as well!

Top Bottom