What's new

Looking for a Few Good Men..... The $1 Razor Challenge!

Just picked one of these up yesterday. One door won't close properly or stay closed. Hinge pin hole is oversized so it's trash. At least it was only a dollar.

I couldn't help but notice the Van Der Hagen razor is very similar to the one marketed under the Assured name. I did not buy it know for sure because it was almost $20 at Hyvee.

View attachment 1120601View attachment 1120601

Which looks a lot like the second razor. A Gillette TTO, which the design was copied.

The VDH is a good quality razor.

I’ve been using mine for 3 years. Still a great razor. Very aggressive but manageable. Have had zero alignment or corrosion issues. If it cost $20 it would be a deal but for $1, and w 5 very good blades, it’s absolutely amazing. It puts every other razor to shame. My Techs and L5 and Slim and other great shavers in my den are great razors and fantastic values but at $5 and $10 and $20 they can’t even approach the $1 Assured for value.

I’ve been using mine for 3 years. Still a great razor. Very aggressive but manageable. Have had zero alignment or corrosion issues. If it cost $20 it would be a deal but for $1, and w 5 very good blades, it’s absolutely amazing. It puts every other razor to shame. My Techs and L5 and Slim and other great shavers in my den are great razors and fantastic values but at $5 and $10 and $20 they can’t even approach the $1 Assured for value.
Yes, a real beauty. Pretty much like shaving by holding a blade with your fingers, with no razor at all. Very aggressive but manageable, as you say. And you are right that this plastic razor does not seem to corrode. But in my collection the Assured has been surpassed by this H.L Stainless, acquired in a tiny convenience store in a Latin American country. Perhaps the "Stainless" refers to the fact that, as with the Assured, it is plastic and won't corrode. I don't know what "H.L" means, perhaps it refers to a word you may shout when you try the razor.
20210722_204321.jpg

Had to bring out the Assured $1 razor today. Used it for the “Frugal Shave Theme Week” over in the SOTD thread. Paired it up with some really cheap, er uuuhh really economically low priced shave products from my local LiDL store. Shave gel, skin booster moisturizer and hydrating gel for a $1 each. Throw in the Gillette Wilkerson blade at roughly $.10 apiece and there’s your cheapo tight wad walker, uuuhh….. I mean fiscally responsible bare bones minimalist shave enthusiast shave set up. :biggrin1:

All kidding aside, the Assured TTO again gave me a real nice shave and the LiDL Men’s shave & skin care products actually performed quite nicely. I’m not saying that you should drop your Superspeeds, Aristocrats, Gamechangers, Lupo’s, Wolfmans, Rocnels, Timelesss, Blackland, ATT, Karve and anything else and make a beeline to your local dollar tree store but, in a pinch as has been stated here before dozens of times and from what a few of the Original 13 lab rats, uuummm, fine shaving Gentleman that took on the task of trying this razor out, it can produce a decent shave in a pinch.

Salud to the Original 13. Cheers Bro-Hams!! :a17:
F3D7B84D-41F4-4DCE-9445-08369D26C99B.jpeg

Had to bring out the Assured $1 razor today. Used it for the “Frugal Shave Theme Week” over in the SOTD thread. Paired it up with some really cheap, er uuuhh really economically low priced shave products from my local LiDL store. Shave gel, skin booster moisturizer and hydrating gel for a $1 each. Throw in the Gillette Wilkerson blade at roughly $.10 apiece and there’s your cheapo tight wad walker, uuuhh….. I mean fiscally responsible bare bones minimalist shave enthusiast shave set up. :biggrin1:

All kidding aside, the Assured TTO again gave me a real nice shave and the LiDL Men’s shave & skin care products actually performed quite nicely. I’m not saying that you should drop your Superspeeds, Aristocrats, Gamechangers, Lupo’s, Wolfmans, Rocnels, Timelesss, Blackland, ATT, Karve and anything else and make a beeline to your local dollar tree store but, in a pinch as has been stated here before dozens of times and from what a few of the Original 13 lab rats, uuummm, fine shaving Gentleman that took on the task of trying this razor out, it can produce a decent shave in a pinch.

View attachment 1364468
Nicely done!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

View attachment 1364468
Ya know, I'm one of the dirty dozen that you chose for that perilous trip... I'm going to have to find my original that you sent me!

Top Bottom