What's new

Looking for a Few Good Men..... The $1 Razor Challenge!

Well, that was interesting. I got a shave I was happy with, but I couldn't say it was comfortable.

My luggage having caught up with me, this morning I put the assured blade into my travel razor (Wilkinson Sword Classic) to see how that worked. I couldn't call it mild, but it was fairly ineffective. Enough passes to actually clear off the stubble left me with a very red jawline (fair enough, that got more than one pass) and neck (it only got a single pass!).

Tomorrow I'm back to the WSC & SuperMax combination. I'll take time to evaluate the Assured razor a little more once I'm home.

Well, that was interesting. I got a shave I was happy with, but I couldn't say it was comfortable.

My luggage having caught up with me, this morning I put the assured blade into my travel razor (Wilkinson Sword Classic) to see how that worked. I couldn't call it mild, but it was fairly ineffective. Enough passes to actually clear off the stubble left me with a very red jawline (fair enough, that got more than one pass) and neck (it only got a single pass!).

Tomorrow I'm back to the WSC & SuperMax combination. I'll take time to evaluate the Assured razor a little more once I'm home.
If the razor is square and true. It does provide good shaves with good blades in it. It does have a lot of flex to it, so care needs to be given. Good Luck!

Sooooooo, several of us found that the first blade out of the tuck may not have "passed" whatever quality control is employed at the factory but found its way into the tuck anyhow. The 2nd blade was an improvement but wouldn't bump blades out of anyone's top-5.
Aha. That is information that would have been exceedingly useful to me much, much earlier in this thread.:a46:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
The legend lives on
The assured tto is a serviceable razor when used with a semi decent blade.

DSCF0006 - Edited.jpg

I actually like this razor quite a bit. I have read about the rust issues and exploding parts. It's the blade gap and feedback that keeps me coming back. This thing can now down some serious growth. I understand that this razor is only temporary due to quality however it let's me know that I will never be satisfied until I own an adjustable DE. This is coming from a guy who shaved with a Mach 3 for 28 years. So much money down the crapper and I'm happier with this razor with Topco blades. That's sick.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I actually like this razor quite a bit. I have read about the rust issues and exploding parts. It's the blade gap and feedback that keeps me coming back. This thing can now down some serious growth. I understand that this razor is only temporary due to quality however it let's me know that I will never be satisfied until I own an adjustable DE. This is coming from a guy who shaved with a Mach 3 for 28 years. So much money down the crapper and I'm happier with this razor with Topco blades. That's sick.
You are correct. I was one of the original "dirty dozen" in the test of the dollar store Assured TTO razor. Mine was still working fine when I last used it. And I too decided I had to have a Fatboy adjustable. Found one in an antique shop for $15. Works really nice. Looks decent.

But after you find the setting you like best, it basically becomes the only setting you use!

You are correct. I was one of the original "dirty dozen" in the test of the dollar store Assured TTO razor. Mine was still working fine when I last used it. And I too decided I had to have a Fatboy adjustable. Found one in an antique shop for $15. Works really nice. Looks decent.

But after you find the setting you like best, it basically becomes the only setting you use!
I'm considering a Vikings Blade Crusader. Seems budget friendly enough. May go with a chieftain first just to see if my suspicion is warranted.

Sooooooo, several of us found that the first blade out of the tuck may not have "passed" whatever quality control is employed at the factory but found its way into the tuck anyhow. The 2nd blade was an improvement but wouldn't bump blades out of anyone's top-5.

AHA! That explains why I've been getting DFS/BBS out of Assured blade #2 for the last week! Of course the 6C that I put the blade into might have something to do with it, too.

FarmerTan

AHA! That explains why I've been getting DFS/BBS out of Assured blade #2 for the last week! Of course the 6C that I put the blade into might have something to do with it, too.
I'm not sure, but I THINK I only used the 1st blade! I just found those yellow wrapped buggers hiding in my medicine cabinet yesterday. I'll have to try one in my slant....

Travel shave set up.

Assured Dollar razor
Voshkod Teflon
RR 24mm Plissoft
Dr. Carvers shave lather cream
Humphreys Citrus WH Astringent
Nivea sensitive splash locion

How was the shave? Not bad at all as the Voshkod is quite an improvement over the Assured blades in the package. Decent smoothness and very efficient, exactly as how I remembered it some time ago. Again, great bang for your shaving buck.....

BFD2A4D7-2D27-402F-A32C-294D600A2DCB.jpeg

Travel shave set up.

Assured Dollar razor
Voshkod Teflon
RR 24mm Plissoft
Dr. Carvers shave lather cream
Humphreys Citrus WH Astringent
Nivea sensitive splash locion

How was the shave? Not bad at all as the Voshkod is quite an improvement over the Assured blades in the package. Decent smoothness and very efficient, exactly as how I remembered it some time ago. Again, great bang for your shaving buck.....

View attachment 1064897
Hmmm. I'll soon be travelling to some distant and not very civilized places, and I won't need to look businesslike. Just one pass will be fine. No need to risk losing my regular razor. Maybe I'll take .... Hmmm. Nah.

FarmerTan

Hmmm. I'll soon be travelling to some distant and not very civilized places, and I won't need to look businesslike. Just one pass will be fine. No need to risk losing my regular razor. Maybe I'll take .... Hmmm. Nah.
Oh! You have to take it! I can almost guarantee that it would break a distance record for that razor!

Oh! You have to take it! I can almost guarantee that it would break a distance record for that razor!
Depends just how distant and uncivilised those places are - I took my Assured back across the Atlantic with me. I may even have used it since, although I can't remember a specific instance.

IMG_20200309_092951.jpg

Used it today w a shark super chrome blade. Close shave but some bloody spots. Not that enjoyable to use probably won't use again. Had to try it for $1! I will try the Assured blades w another razor.

I just took mine on a short travel. I have only used it a few times before. Revisited it as a travel just for fun. Used it with the blades that came with it. Not the most comfortable but nothing to complain about for me. I say give one a try if you have not yet done so.

So figured here was as good a place as any....

I was perusing the bay and found assured (dollar tree) razors for up to $10 a piece. Lots of 6 for $26. I wonder if they sell any and if the people who buy them know that they are sold at Dollar tree stores for...…. A DOLLAR!!!!!!!

Wow! A noticeably big blade gap and an aggresive shave. I stropped one of the blades on paper and even sliced the paper once on each side to be safe. I very carefully got a pretty close shave without bleeding out. I may try the combo again if I have 3 or more days of growth after holiday weekend.

I couldn't help but notice the Van Der Hagen razor is very similar to the one marketed under the Assured name. I did not buy it know for sure because it was almost $20 at Hyvee.

1593695189767.png
1593695189767.png

Top Bottom