What's new

Looking for 1st straight razor

Hey guys I've been de shaving for a bit now I really want to learn with a straight razor. Should I start with the ones that have the disposable razors. I've heard that once you go to a real straight the angle is diff vs the disposable blade ones. What is a good starter SR for the money. Thanks

For a starter, there are two good options. One, you can get a shave-ready straight from Buca or Whipped Dog. WD's sight-unseen/poor mans strop combo comes highly recommended. Two, you can try a shavette (disposable-blade straight), but it is true that the angle is different. Half-DE shavettes, especially, require a nearly parallel angle. If you wanted to go the shavette route, I would recommend trying a hair-shaper style one. The longer blade and greater weight more closely imitate a real straight, and you can even strop the blades (in fact, I advocate doing so). Their angle is also a bit closer to a true straight. Then, you can have the chance to experience the shaving process (or one very similar) and maintenance of a straight without the initial investment (which is still well worth it, with Buca or WD). Whatever you choose, just remember to take your time, stretch your skin, and enjoy it! It may also help to make your lather a bit thinner and slicker than you might use for a DE. Hope this helps.

Well there are several options if you want a straight razor. The three most popular options as I've seen so far are these; Larry at whippeddog.com has a sight unseen razor that is a good deal for beginners, I have not dealt with WD but hear nothing but good things. The sight unseen won't be the best looking razor, but it will be good steel and will be sent out shave ready by all accounts. The second option I see is a hobbyist on here named buca3152 who sells modified gold dollar razors for good prices. Not a fancy razor but with the mods he makes it a perfectly functional razor for both shaving and honing. I have bought one of his razors and he was very easy to work with, again the razor will come shave ready. The third option I see is to pick one up off the BST here if your looking for something a little more specific. As for what razors are best for beginners everyone seems to have their own opinions but it boils down to personal preference. Hope this helps!

I would check out Larry at Whippeddog.com and grab a sight unseen razor. If you have the extra money, I really enjoy my Boker King Cutter.

What is a good starter SR for the money. Thanks
Well, it depends what "the money" is to you and if you intend this as just an experiment or a transition into straight shaving.
A well honed gold dollar is the cheapest thing you can get and will shave you.
The gold dollar though is not a nice looking razor. The scales feels really cheap.
The Titan is a bit more expensive. You have to spend about 40$ with shipping, but it is a reasonably good razor.

I have used my Gold Dollar just twice when it came in and have not picked it up since. I keep meaning to rescale it, but have not gotten myself to do it.
My Titan however, I use regularly, a few times a month (when I travel - as it is stainless steel and does not mind staying confined in with a badger and a tooth brush that might be a bit humid, and if it gets confiscated/stolen by TSA, it is replaceable).

All good advice above. Remember that there is always plenty of time to buy another [nicer/more expensive] straight down the track if you enjoy straight shaving and want to continue.

dovo best quality 6/8 from SRD - honed by Lynn - $90 and a 2 inch latigo strop from SRD or from Star Shaving.

I really like the edge Lynn put on my Dovo Best. Not the prettiest razor, but shaves great.

I started with a double arrow (I recently heard these are the same as the gold dollar?) Got it off ebay super cheap and then had one of the nice gentlemen on hear fix the scales and make sure the blade was shave ready. Probably had $40 into when I began my SR journey . . . I loved it. Still in my rotation. I actually have bought some more and am thinking of having one of the artisans around here change out the scales to something a little nicer on some of the other ones. I will say that without having an experienced person fix them up, the other ones I ordered are not in great shape. The scales aren't lined up correctly and I would not consider them shave ready. If you do go this route, I would definitely plan on having someone make sure its in good order for you.

Top Bottom