What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Looking 7/8 options

I'm going to give a larger razor a go; I've gotten on fine with my 5/8 but fancy trying something with a bit more weight.

There are some such as a Heljestrand, some Rugras and various others. The blades that aren't in poor shape aren't cheap, but I don't mind paying a bit for a nice edge.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

RumpleBearskin

Contributor
Rigarazor makes a great razor in 7/8, as does Dorko, Revisor, and Wacker. Some are more pricey then others.

Many of the old Sheffield wedges are 7/8 or near it as well if you prefer the older blades (like I do). Greaves and Frederick Reynolds come to mind.

Thank you, I shall continue to look. I use an old Sheffield at the moment and am quite partial to older stuff.

There's no rush so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Excellent, thank you for the further suggestions. It's a lot easier to filter through with a list of decent names.

100! That's quite a collection.

Most of the popular makers are pretty expensive at the moment - around £70-140+. There are a few Sheffield and Solingen razors that look like they're in very good nick for around £15-25, so I might give one of them a whirl first to see how I get on with the larger size.

100! That's quite a collection.

Most of the popular makers are pretty expensive at the moment - around £70-140+. There are a few Sheffield and Solingen razors that look like they're in very good nick for around £15-25, so I might give one of them a whirl first to see how I get on with the larger size.
I know that sounds expensive, but it’s a small price to pay for a bigger blade. Dovo and TI sell new blades that are smaller, worse quality, yet sometimes even more expensive! Watch the BST... it’s better to get one in the forums.

Also I second the Friodur #17. It’s a great shaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the recommendations guys. I ended up getting a Kropp straight for a reasonable price; they seem to be rated as fairly decent blades. I'll have no issues splashing out once I'm happy with the size I prefer.

I have a nagging suspicion that I'll end up buying something in every size after a while. To think I use economy as an excuse for using a straight - who was I kidding?

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you for the recommendations guys. I ended up getting a Kropp straight for a reasonable price; they seem to be rated as fairly decent blades. I'll have no issues splashing out once I'm happy with the size I prefer.

I have a nagging suspicion that I'll end up buying something in every size after a while. To think I use economy as an excuse for using a straight - who was I kidding?

View attachment 1210112
I was watching that same razor.🥸

Top Bottom