What's new

Looking 7/8 options

I'm going to give a larger razor a go; I've gotten on fine with my 5/8 but fancy trying something with a bit more weight.

There are some such as a Heljestrand, some Rugras and various others. The blades that aren't in poor shape aren't cheap, but I don't mind paying a bit for a nice edge.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rigarazor makes a great razor in 7/8, as does Dorko, Revisor, and Wacker. Some are more pricey then others.

Many of the old Sheffield wedges are 7/8 or near it as well if you prefer the older blades (like I do). Greaves and Frederick Reynolds come to mind.

Thank you, I shall continue to look. I use an old Sheffield at the moment and am quite partial to older stuff.

There's no rush so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Thiers Issard 15/16 (but 7/8 using the French way to measure it)
20201017_TI.jpg

Excellent, thank you for the further suggestions. It's a lot easier to filter through with a list of decent names.

100! That's quite a collection.

Most of the popular makers are pretty expensive at the moment - around £70-140+. There are a few Sheffield and Solingen razors that look like they're in very good nick for around £15-25, so I might give one of them a whirl first to see how I get on with the larger size.

100! That's quite a collection.

Most of the popular makers are pretty expensive at the moment - around £70-140+. There are a few Sheffield and Solingen razors that look like they're in very good nick for around £15-25, so I might give one of them a whirl first to see how I get on with the larger size.

I know that sounds expensive, but it’s a small price to pay for a bigger blade. Dovo and TI sell new blades that are smaller, worse quality, yet sometimes even more expensive! Watch the BST... it’s better to get one in the forums.

Also I second the Friodur #17. It’s a great shaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the recommendations guys. I ended up getting a Kropp straight for a reasonable price; they seem to be rated as fairly decent blades. I'll have no issues splashing out once I'm happy with the size I prefer.

I have a nagging suspicion that I'll end up buying something in every size after a while. To think I use economy as an excuse for using a straight - who was I kidding?

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you for the recommendations guys. I ended up getting a Kropp straight for a reasonable price; they seem to be rated as fairly decent blades. I'll have no issues splashing out once I'm happy with the size I prefer.

I have a nagging suspicion that I'll end up buying something in every size after a while. To think I use economy as an excuse for using a straight - who was I kidding?

View attachment 1210112

I was watching that same razor.🥸

Top Bottom