What's new

Long term storage of zamac razors

I have cheap Zamac razors used for over a year, then stored for almost three years, then used again for over a year.

Still look brand new.

A well made Zamac razor will last a looong time.

Well if you take care of your Razor it will look new.

Clean with Toothpaste, and New SOFT TOOTHBRUSH.🥳

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Most zinc alloys these days don't deteriorate to my understanding. Impurities in the alloy can cause zinc rot and this used to be a big problem, but it's mostly resolved. The plating is just another layer of protection.

Shane's got the straight of it. Basically old Zamak razors were subject to poor quality control in the alloy. Immediately post-war Zamak is bad that way, but it stands to reason as immediately post-war there was a lot of aluminum alloy lying around in pieces that could just be picked up and remelted. :)

O.H.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Since you're just getting started with safety razors, there's probably no need to back up this razors.

After a while, you may want to try new materials, different designs...and find another razor that you're more satisfied with.
This is how many of us go down the rabbit hole, including me.

A friend of mine once kept three or four copies of the same razor.
A few months later I heard him praising another razor.
Maybe he still loves the original razor, but who knows, I still have one more razor missing from my shelf-- the next one.

Why does Zamac deteriorate? Does it react with water and corrode? Maybe there're different alloys of Zamac, but I've had more than a few electric guitars with Zamac bridges and never had a problem with them deteriorating.
Well the 'clue' is in the name Zamac

Zinc
Aluminium
Magnesium
and
Copper
giving you ZAMaC, or zamak or zamack or pot metal as its melted in a pot?

electric water heaters use magnesium as a sacrificial anode the first bit to rot
aluminium, fine if it has the oxide layer on it [natural formed or induced as in anodized] but in alloyed state does it form oxide?
zinc not readily water soluble, but is a sacrificial layer on iron [galvanizing] so to some degree yes
copper .. is good

so water is or is not pure, chlorine or any hyperchlorite any minerals salts slightly acidic

SOAP ... well there's ya problem

body skin acids

mix all that together and you get a razor that shows acne like a 13y/o
or wash it and dry it and in 80 years it will look like ya grandmother on her wedding day

Well the 'clue' is in the name Zamac

Zinc
Aluminium
Magnesium
and
Copper
giving you ZAMaC, or zamak or zamack or pot metal as its melted in a pot?

electric water heaters use magnesium as a sacrificial anode the first bit to rot
aluminium, fine if it has the oxide layer on it [natural formed or induced as in anodized] but in alloyed state does it form oxide?
zinc not readily water soluble, but is a sacrificial layer on iron [galvanizing] so to some degree yes
copper .. is good

so water is or is not pure, chlorine or any hyperchlorite any minerals salts slightly acidic

SOAP ... well there's ya problem

body skin acids

mix all that together and you get a razor that shows acne like a 13y/o
or wash it and dry it and in 80 years it will look like ya grandmother on her wedding day
Had to revisit this.

Tyre Fitters,
what has tyre fitting got to do with zamac razors?
well ya see tyre fitters used to use good old soap/detergent as a lube to stretch fit a tyre bead
and "mag wheels" for short are magnesium wheels or an alloy there of highly prized for light weight

so, soap is or was made with Lye [sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide, paint stripper/drain cleaner/laundry additive]

tyre fitters soon found out that mag wheels + soap = monkey pox

hence a good intact plated zamac razor should not be a problem, but one minute pin hole does become a problem.
in days of old, when knights were bold, and underwear was made of tin, soap was less refined, plating may or may not have been sub standard?
Personally, I would not touch re-plating a zamac. i know others too who steer clear of it. The reasoning is the plating bath, sticking reactive bare metal in even a mild acidic solution before the nickel transfers is a 50/50 on fail/pox/good outcome.

These are my thoughts for today
Sermon next Sunday will be on BBC4 at 11:00

Top Bottom