What's new

Long Term Brush Storage

Over the past year or so, I have purchased the Dukes- 1, 2, and 3. All 3 are wonderful, but the Duke 3 is just too big. I enjoy the 1&2, but the 3 sees very little use. I don't want to sell the 3 as I would like to keep it for my son.

I have cleaned the brush well using the instructions in the wiki (the same way I always clean my brushes) and after it dries, I plan on returning it back to its original box. My question is- is there anything else I should/need to do to keep the brush in pristine condition during its long term storage?

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps a silica gel packet inside the box to provide that extra level of dryness. And I'd put the box inside another box or a ziploc baggie to keep it from getting scuffed or frayed.

All this may be overkill. Even if you did nothing at all, and used it on a regular basis, that brush should last a couple of generations.

Perhaps a silica gel packet inside the box to provide that extra level of dryness. And I'd put the box inside another box or a ziploc baggie to keep it from getting scuffed or frayed.

If the box isn't airtight, then a silica gel packet won't accomplish much. And not only are baggies not airtight over the long run, they can break down over time and gunk up whatever they're in contact with (especially the cheaper ones). When I was a bookseller, I saw way too many books ruined from being stored in non-archival (read: anything you get at the grocery) plastic bags. Then there's the question of the amount of acid in the paper of the box, and thus how long the paper will last...

Long term preservation for the amateur is something of a crapshoot.

You don't want to air seal or zero moisture your brush storage. Remember it is hair and as such it was a living substance and needs to breath.

Just wrap it loosely in the paper, put it in the box and put the box away in a room of your house that is not too dry or damp (bedroom closet).

Take it out and look at it every once in a while to check for bugs (yea, remember it is hair).

Now if you want an expert's opinion, contact Mark at Simpsons and ask him what to do.

Perfect timing on this question. I just washed and dried a Shavemac Silvertip to put a way for a while, while I decide what to do with it.

I just put it in one of the clear Golf Ball tube type holders, not air tight and stuck it in my drawer.

I'll have to remember to check on it periodically for bug (eewww) and make sure it's ok.

FWIW, I have an Ever Ready badger and a Dubl Duck barber model boar that have just been laying out for almost 40 years, no problems at all.

For really long term storage I'd consider using some moth crystals -that's parachlorodibenzene-not moth balls- either inside the box if it's paper or at least in the container in which the box is stored. To make sure they wouldn't interact with the handle material you might consider placing then in a small, open coin envelope. There's lots of little critters, and one or two big ones, that would regard all that hair as an all you can eat buffet. The moth crystals are an effective insecticide. Moth balls, made of naptha, are only a repellant. A few hours in the fresh air will allow the odor of the moth crystals (some folks may be reminded of Akro) to dissipate leaving only the brush's natural funk, if any, behind. Honestly, I'm only kidding about the Akro.

PS Scalps were normally sundried and/or smoked over a low fire then displayed on lodgepoles or hung from coup sticks or the shafts of lances. Native peoples, lacking paracholodibenzene, depended on the smoke to deter insect damage. Now if I could only figure out who took my scalp. Chief none of your are curly and red are they?

Last edited:
I just clean them, let them dry for a few days and put them in their box like I received it. I've stored some up to a year in either my bedroom closet or in a bigger box in my damp, cool basement without a problem.

Top Bottom