What's new

Local Pig Cream

Don't they have two options for sample tubs? One just for the sample, and one large enough to lather in. You must have purchased the latter.

I did choose the latter, but either way the smaller one would still reflect this plastic one in a smaller size. I don't view this as a negative, just something worth mentioning.

Be aware all, this can takes very little water. It's very easy to make it too thin, but well worth it if you mix it right

Ok guys so I finally used the cream and have my judgment. My first time using it, I opted to bowl lather and use my scuttle. I scooped out a little bit of the cream and dropped it in. As I found out, this cream does not like hot water and it kept breaking down and looked like soapy water.(last pic) It was not even worth trying to shave with. To be honest, I was quite upset about it. Later that night, I went back and loaded a little bit of it onto my smallest brush (a restore with a 20 mm TGN Finest). I palm lathered just to mess with the cream. It wasn't a lather explosion but I did get some thick lather out of it which could hold a peak for a while. I gave it all another shot this morning and face lathered with that same brush. Quite the notable difference. I just need some more time to dial it in perfectly. All in all it is a decent cream with excellent ingredients. Especially with the $5 I risked on the sample. Had I not had a full den, I would totally get a full tub to play with.

$photo 4(1).jpg$photo 3(5).jpg$photo 2(8).jpg

How is the scent? and does it hold through the lather making and shaving process?

The milk and honey scent I got is very pleasing. It smells just like it sounds with maybe a hint of cella (almond). The lather doesn't do too bad. I think I need more dialing in. But overall, I am pretty satisfied. I think I feel a full sized tin on the way.

The milk and honey scent I got is very pleasing. It smells just like it sounds with maybe a hint of cella (almond). The lather doesn't do too bad. I think I need more dialing in. But overall, I am pretty satisfied. I think I feel a full sized tin on the way.

:thumbup1: the milk and honey it's very pleasing indeed. Interesting that you find it didn't work well in hot water. I always use room temperature water, so that's a good thing to be aware of.

That lather reminds me of current formulations of Trumpers (soap). You think it looks okay but it starts to break down; you have to beat the heck out of it to get something that's rich and stable.

My girlfriend, who introduced me to the fantastic butcher side of this business months ago, gifted me this shaving cream for Valentine's Day. I've been meaning to post a detailed review but haven't had the time until now.

Let me start by encouraging anyone in the KC area to visit Local Pig. They're great people and I've bought the tastiest bacon in my life from them. I'm sure they're getting a lot more traffic after they were profiled in the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/d...tcher-shop-teaches-the-butchers-art.html?_r=0). They also have incredible customer service, as I hope my review will indicate.

The tub of cream my girlfriend gave me was from the original formulation, which is reflected in the ingredients that neilyasno posted. Also like neilyasno I found that it lathered easily, but the lather was very airy and disappeared quickly. The heavy tallow content actually made for a decent shave, since the tallow stayed on my skin even after the soap had mostly evaporated. I assumed the airy, disappearing lather was the result of all the coconut oil. So I emailed the Local Pig Gmail address with my mini review and a recommendation to add stearic acid and/or palm oil to give some stability to the lather.

About a week after my email, I received a reply from Miles at Local Pig. He said he had made some changes to the formula to address my concerns, and invited me to stop by and swap out my original formulation for the new one. I was honestly surprised to receive a reply at all, much less one indicating that they had actually changed the formula based on my email. If nothing else, it was a great showing of customer service. When I stopped by, Miles said he had added some thickeners and other ingredients to help stabilize the lather, and he was able to get a test lather to "stand up" for 30 minutes.

My impression of the new formulation is that it's still not the thick, creamy, Tabac-like lather that I would like, but it is a solid improvement over the original. I used less water this time, and it's clear this cream does not like a lot of water. The lather certainly was thicker and slicker, but about 50% of the lather on my right cheek had dissipated by the time I finished my left cheek. Even with the dissipation I had a DFS—again, a result of the tallow remaining even when the soap goes—and I suspect the lather just will never stabilize without adding another oil to the mix.

I have no idea which formulation they're sending out from Etsy, but I would assume it is the new one. The ingredients list on the new one doesn't reflect the new ingredients yet, so there is no way to tell based on that. When I went in to swap my old one on Feb. 22, they had already put the new one on their store shelves.

Overall this is a decent product from an excellent business. It won't be a favorite in my rotation, but I will absolutely use the whole tub. Given that Miles has shown a willingness to mess with the formula, maybe feedback from more B&B members—especially those who know more about soap- and cream-making than I do (which admittedly isn't much)—can help him make this into an excellent product. I told Miles I would be posting a review to B&B, so it shouldn't take him too off guard if he gets a flood of feedback about it.

Last edited:
Just put in an order for the original scent. For us in the U.S., it's only 15.50 shipped unlike another poster who said it was above 20. Will post my review also when it arrives.

My girlfriend, who introduced me to the fantastic butcher side of this business months ago, gifted me this shaving cream for Valentine's Day. I've been meaning to post a detailed review but haven't had the time until now.

Let me start by encouraging anyone in the KC area to visit Local Pig. They're great people and I've bought the tastiest bacon in my life from them. I'm sure they're getting a lot more traffic after they were profiled in the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/d...tcher-shop-teaches-the-butchers-art.html?_r=0). They also have incredible customer service, as I hope my review will indicate.

The tub of cream my girlfriend gave me was from the original formulation, which is reflected in the ingredients that neilyasno posted. Also like neilyasno I found that it lathered easily, but the lather was very airy and disappeared quickly. The heavy tallow content actually made for a decent shave, since the tallow stayed on my skin even after the soap had mostly evaporated. I assumed the airy, disappearing lather was the result of all the coconut oil. So I emailed the Local Pig Gmail address with my mini review and a recommendation to add stearic acid and/or palm oil to give some stability to the lather.

About a week after my email, I received a reply from Miles at Local Pig. He said he had made some changes to the formula to address my concerns, and invited me to stop by and swap out my original formulation for the new one. I was honestly surprised to receive a reply at all, much less one indicating that they had actually changed the formula based on my email. If nothing else, it was a great showing of customer service. When I stopped by, Miles said he had added some thickeners and other ingredients to help stabilize the lather, and he was able to get a test lather to "stand up" for 30 minutes.

My impression of the new formulation is that it's still not the thick, creamy, Tabac-like lather that I would like, but it is a solid improvement over the original. I used less water this time, and it's clear this cream does not like a lot of water. The lather certainly was thicker and slicker, but about 50% of the lather on my right cheek had dissipated by the time I finished my left cheek. Even with the dissipation I had a DFS—again, a result of the tallow remaining even when the soap goes—and I suspect the lather just will never stabilize without adding another oil to the mix.

I have no idea with formulation they're sending out from Etsy, but I would assume it is the new one. The ingredients list on the new one doesn't reflect the new ingredients yet, so there is no way to tell based on that. When I went in to swap my old one on Feb. 22, they had already put the new one on their store shelves.

Overall this is a decent product from an excellent business. It won't be a favorite in my rotation, but I will absolutely use the whole tub. Given that Miles has shown a willingness to mess with the formula, maybe feedback from more B&B members—especially those who know more about soap- and cream-making than I do (which admittedly isn't much)—can help him make this into an excellent product. I told Miles I would be posting a review to B&B, so it shouldn't take him too off guard if he gets a flood of feedback about it.

Pretty interesting.

I have used my sample a couple of times, and my impression is a bit different than some others here, but with the same basic result.

I found it easy to overload my brush, resulting in an excessively heavy, thick lather. But that was thinned out easily enough.

The resulting shave was fine without being stellar. Slick, not remarkably protective, and with no special after-shave face feel. Definitely a decent cream, but nothing stand-out, for me.

So, I finally got to use a sample of this cream today. I honestly don't know why people are having a hard time lathering this cream. I face lathered, did my usual two passes. The result was a slick, comfortable shave, and a lather that didn't dry out. My face was extremely smooth afterwards. I couldn't ask for anything more. I enjoyed it, and would love to pick up both scents in the future. :cool:

I'll post up some more pics tomorrow.

$DSC_1224.jpg

$DSC_1225.jpg

Top Bottom