What's new

List of clones

Most modern zamac straight bar heads are clones of EJ89 or Merkur. So RR and Parker are EJ89 and Maggard is Merkur clone.

RR MJ89 is EJ89 clone as claimed on IB site

Pass around heads of the yet to be released RR Game changer get compared to a Wolfman with some deviations. Poor man's wolfman!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
Yes, the RazoRock MJ90 is a DE89 clone, though with two base plates, the blade tabs covered, and titanium handle and aluminum head. There is another DE89 clone that is very popular here. Not saying what it is, but it has 6 base plates.

I guess that one of the problems with identifying clones is the definition itself. What really constitutes a clone? Is it an EXACT copy of the razor itself or a pretty close copy of the design? If it is a close copy of the design (which many of us are agreeing to), at what point does it no longer be a clone? The RR Wunderbar follows from the Stealth which was an almost exact clone of the original bakelite slant, except it was made of metal. However you get the Wunderbar next to the bakelite slant and you really can't see the relationship. Same goes with the Feather AS and even a Wolfman and Timeless. I am guessing that every modern DE could be a clone of something previous.

The DE89 is probably the most cloned razor there is. Yet the DE89 head is a clone of the Merkur 34c head. The 34c head is a clone from other German razors from yesteryear.

I guess that one of the problems with identifying clones is the definition itself. What really constitutes a clone? Is it an EXACT copy of the razor itself or a pretty close copy of the design? If it is a close copy of the design (which many of us are agreeing to), at what point does it no longer be a clone? The RR Wunderbar follows from the Stealth which was an almost exact clone of the original bakelite slant, except it was made of metal. However you get the Wunderbar next to the bakelite slant and you really can't see the relationship. Same goes with the Feather AS and even a Wolfman and Timeless. I am guessing that every modern DE could be a clone of something previous.
Good point, it is a slippery slope, obviously. But it isn't surprising many modern safety razors are recognizably adaptations of proven successful previous designs, in some cases with some attempts at minor improvements, and, for those willing to spend the money, vastly better build quality and space-age materials. To invest in a previously unproven design probably takes a little more courage, and certainly a lot more money.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Here is some more razor clones, some are clones copying another clone almost identical.
Gillette Fatboy adjustable - Rockwell model T razor>looks like they have completed the razor.
Gillette toggle adjustable- Janus Razor>taking pre orders
PAA BOCS- Windrose R3 OC slant>aluminum head instead of bakelite.
PAA Alpha Ecliptic slant razor-Windrose G2 slant
Grand Shave King self lubricating razor-Razorock SLOC SE Razor>new introduction razor

Last edited:
Gillette Adjustable Clones

Former CCCP

Ideal Adjustable - Slim / Black Beauty Clone
Consul Adjustable - Fatboy Clone
Rubin Adjustable - Black Beauty Clone
Severodonetsk-1
Adjustable (Ukraine) - Slim/Fatboy Clone (fatter than a Slim, thinner than a Fatboy)

Gillette Tech Clones

Russia

Rapira Platinum Lux 3-Piece
proxy.php

Rapira Swedish Supersteel 3-Piece
proxy.php

India
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling
proxy.php

South Africa

Lion 3-Piece
proxy.php