What's new

Let's talk about Clubman Special Reserve

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
but I would guess more than one spouse has belittled it as "old man".

I like Special Reserve. I like it for its "retro" scent ... I don't think of that as "old man" per se, but something that a young man would have worn 80 years ago.

As far as the issue of "SWMBO doesn't like the aftershave" thing ... I shave in the morning. We are both out the door to work immediately, and no time for anything more than a quick "bye". Then we don't see each other until evening, by which time ANY aftershave is long gone.

Problem solved.

I like Special Reserve. I like it for its "retro" scent ... I don't think of that as "old man" per se, but something that a young man would have worn 80 years ago.

As far as the issue of "SWMBO doesn't like the aftershave" thing ... I shave in the morning. We are both out the door to work immediately, and no time for anything more than a quick "bye". Then we don't see each other until evening, by which time ANY aftershave is long gone.

Problem solved.
Same here. My wife rarely comments on scents, but always positive if she does. She has mentioned she likes SR a time or two. I like it a lot.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Same here. My wife rarely comments on scents, but always positive if she does. She has mentioned she likes SR a time or two. I like it a lot.
Lol. Total opposite in this house. The War Department only comments on the ones she be offended by.

Last year's thread on SR, it's scent was describe as this:
proxy.php

At least that was the general consensus. One of my favorite Clubman scent.

HA!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The only "old man" scent I can discern is Pinaud's Whisky Woods, but I'm still going to use it.

Upon reflection, it's probably because my various uncles smelled like booze. :arf: :a17:

AA

The only "old man" scent I can discern is Pinaud's Whisky Woods, but I'm still going to use it.

Upon reflection, it's probably because my various uncles smelled like booze. :arf: :a17:

AA
Haha! I suppose WW is a little, but I love it. I like Gent's Gin a little better though.

The only fragrance I keep thinking is old-manish is current P&G Old Spice. I really want to like it, I just wish it was different. From the descriptions of the Shulton version, it sounds like they took all of the spicey edge out of it that might have made it virile and sexy to a woman. What's left is kind of a sweet grandpa smell, which very well may be what they're going for.

I know people love old spice and I mean no disrespect. I just wonder whether we are getting an imposter version of what it used to be.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Haha! I suppose WW is a little, but I love it. I like Gent's Gin a little better though.

The only fragrance I keep thinking is old-manish is current P&G Old Spice. I really want to like it, I just wish it was different. From the descriptions of the Shulton version, it sounds like they took all of the spicey edge out of it that might have made it virile and sexy to a woman. What's left is kind of a sweet grandpa smell, which very well may be what they're going for.

I know people love old spice and I mean no disrespect. I just wonder whether we are getting an imposter version of what it used to be.
Try to get some vintage Avon Spicy. Smells a lot like the original Old Spice to my nose, only better.

Haven't used SR in about 5 years, maybe more, but have fond memories of it. It 's just a tad strong for an aftershave, but definitely very pleasant. After reading this thread I rummaged around the shave den and found I have a little less than 1/4 bottle. Now it's out on the shelf for use tomorrow morning!

Haven't used SR in about 5 years, maybe more, but have fond memories of it. It 's just a tad strong for an aftershave, but definitely very pleasant. After reading this thread I rummaged around the shave den and found I have a little less than 1/4 bottle. Now it's out on the shelf for use tomorrow morning!
Let us know how it strikes you today after leaving it for a while. [emoji106]

I love it. It smells like a powerhouse cologne from the 70' and 80's to me, like a kicked up Aramis or Quorum.

My wife doesn't care for some of the aftershaves that I really enjoy. I just splash it on as I head out the door to work, and she doesn't have to smell it, while I enjoy the aroma surrounding me on my commute in!

Special Reserve! One of my all time favorites. If the Allies liberating France could be expressed as a smell, this would be it.

Hi,

Love me some Special Reserve. It is a pretty strong and long lasting scent though. A little goes a long way.

Haven't met a Pinaud scent I haven't enjoyed.

I love my SR, probably need to get some more decent bottle for that. Maybe an old old spice burley.
Can you guys recommend a matching shaving soap?

Top Bottom