What's new

Let's see those #14's

What is a 14?

14/16?

They are blanks that are typically 14/16 with spine it brings them closer to 15/16 or 8/8 with a #14 stamped on the blade

There's some controversy whether they were all made by the same forge then sold to different companies or it was a marketing thing for a company to make or have one made for them... Also controversial is whether they are all the same steel or different.. Most are very hollow ground and I have found very few that are bad shavers .... What I find interesting in the controversy is filarmonica makes a 13 and a 12 but you don't see that for other companies doing the same so maybe they came from the same place but filarmonica definitely sourced them all from the same place.. Just for them...

There are many companies that make a 14 and all those companies do not reside in the same country... Mostly Germany and Spain and very few on French razors like le grelots (but le grelot used steel from Sheffield, solingen, and I think Swedish) ... also the 14 appears in different fonts and different orientations

They are very collectible and are very large so they hold their value well....

Last edited:
It would be interesting to chronicle just the tang stamp, the font, size, shape and orientation across all the brands and countries of manufacture

Here are the 14s that are currently residing with me. I've sold a few others. Always on the look out for them

$FilarmonicaDT14_JMP_01.jpg
$FilarmonicaDT14_black_01.jpg
$Hoppe14_01.jpg
$Iberia14_01.jpg
$Palmera14_ivory_01.jpg

I remember when these used to be considered cheapie razors. You could pick up a 5/8 for $30 and a 7/8 for $55

Legion

Staff member
I remember when these used to be considered cheapie razors. You could pick up a 5/8 for $30 and a 7/8 for $55

I remember when people would pay you to come and collect a case of Wapi's off their lawn. What's your point?? :lol:

Never underestimate the collective power of suggestion.

I am curious about how long ago you both refer to, and what were some of the more desirable razors (and their prices) back then?

Legion

Staff member
I am curious about how long ago you both refer to, and what were some of the more desirable razors (and their prices) back then?
Well joel was into it before me, but when I was beginning to pay attention puma seemed to be #1, and the double duck hype was just beginning. Mid 2000's. I dont remember any razors that weren't customs going for more than a couple of hundred.

Last edited:
Well joel was into it before me, but when I was beginning to pay attention puma seemed to be #1, and the double duck hype was just beginning. Mid 2000's. I dont remember any razors that weren't customs going for more than a couple of hundred.

Gas was only a dollar a gallon back then too... And ppl freaked out when it hit over a dollar... I remember the long lines to the gas station

I gave this a go for the first time in ages the other day thinking maybe I was being harsh about it, aaaaand....... It bit me!! SOB!! I swear I am going to try taming it with the mellowest coti edge I can conjure....

$WP_20140828_012.jpg

Me too. ERNs are some of the best shavers I have owned. My favorite brand too if I had to pick one.

Anyone for a Heljestrand 14? Shows some hone wear and now just a bit over 6/8, but still a winner. I couldn't save the original scales so put on a set of repaired horn scales until I can order some new material.
$helje2.jpg$helje3.jpg

Top Bottom